Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 800 starts fine runs great for about5 miles then when it is warmed up it sputters backfires and some times dies . let cool down then runs fine again .

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like compression loss. Check compression and fuel pressure and also check the pressure relief dowel. Could be sticking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked fuel pressure?
No I haven't. I do have another fuel pump though. I have ordered new coils wires map sensor. And map sensor wire replacement. It runs hard for a bout 5 miles then it falls apart when you get on it .
Sounds like compression loss. Check compression and fuel pressure and also check the pressure relief dowel. Could be sticking.
Do you think running some marvelous mystery oil would hurt to run through it .?

·
Registered
582 Posts
No I haven't. I do have another fuel pump though. I have ordered new coils wires map sensor. And map sensor wire replacement. It runs hard for a bout 5 miles then it falls apart when you get on it .

Do you think running some marvelous mystery oil would hurt to run through it .?
No marvel won't hurt it. I used it and it did make My motor run better.My machine when I bought it was running like crap. It was a combination of things but that Pressure relief valve would stick on me an shut me down like your symptoms. Don't just start throwing parts at it cause I doubt its the coils. Do testing first like compression,fuel and oil pressure. Here is what I suggest you do first before anything. Go buy 2 5/16 steel ball bearings from Ace Hardware and a 3 or 4 pound pen magnet. Take that dowel out and put the 2 5/16 ball bearings in. Run it and see if it starts running better. Watch D Ray's shop pressure relief dowel on YOUTUBE it's a good video and saved my motor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You can only replace 20% of your oil with Marvel. The RZR takes less than 2 quarts. I know it says 2 quarts but when you put 2 quarts in level will be 1/4 inch to 3/8 above full level on dipstick. Many do put 2 quarts in but my RZR and my buddies doesn't like being overfillled so I just fill to dipstick level. So if you fill to dipstick level use no more than 6 oz or 8 oz for 2 quarts. Make sure you drain some out when you put the Marvel in or you will overfull it. Did you try out the bearings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Certainly sounds like the oil pressure relief valve to me.
You can only replace 20% of your oil with Marvel. The RZR takes less than 2 quarts. I know it says 2 quarts but when you put 2 quarts in level will be 1/4 inch to 3/8 above full level on dipstick. Many do put 2 quarts in but my RZR and my buddies doesn't like being overfillled so I just fill to dipstick level. So if you fill to dipstick level use no more than 6 oz or 8 oz for 2 quarts. Make sure you drain some out when you put the Marvel in or you will overfull it. Did you try out the bearings?
Put the ball bearings in and 60z. Mystery oil no change. I'm leaning towards the map sensor and or plug wires

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rebuilding the fuel pump is a little tricky. The housing is all brittle plastic so take your time. You should also replace fuel regulator and filter bag as well while you are in there. The regulator has a screen filter inside it. If you are going to replace T Map you should clean throttle body. You should have seen my machines throttle body. It was like the guy soaked it in mud it was so filthy. Once you do all your planning if it still sputters you should make sure the TPS is calibrated. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I have all the fuel pump parts .I'm pretty anal about taking it slow .the plug wires were pretty sketchy. New now only thing left is the fuel pump . So I'll know in a few days. When it gets here .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well nothing new got lots of compression. 150 haven't done fuel pump yet. Not seeing any spark confused

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think i found yhe problem. The case was half in half out off the engine. I pushed it in and it fired right up . The bolt is missing. Any idea of the cost bolt size?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts