Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how people get sponsored in utv racing? When I raced quads it was easy my cousin ownes a yamaha shop and they did all the work for me for free and gave me his cost on parts.but now for the first time in 25 years I don't have a yamaha had to by rzr s until yamaha brings something out worth racing hopefully that will be soon.so do I just call places I'm not looking for free stuff but a decent discount would be nice.

·
Vendor
21,911 Posts
Be professional about it. When I was racing with CORR, ITP UTV Cross, and starting to get into LOORS, I tried to get sponsors hand over fist, but most the time when I promoted myself as an amateur just asking for help and discounts most people turned me down. I spent some time and made a very nice 6 page proposal telling the companies I was seeking help from about the car, about myself, the races I was entering, etc. It seemed to get a much better response as it looks more professional, when we get "sponsorship applications" in our email, 90% of the time I delete it because it looks like this:

"Hey man! I am racing (insert unknown random city local 4 race circuit that gets no coverage) and I want you guys to sponsor me. I have a 2010 RZR-S and I want a cage, doors, seats, harnesses, fire suit, beadlocks, tires, and everything else you think I need. It would be great exposure for your company. My address is: (insert address here). Thank you!"

Dont do that. It will get you nowhere. Be professional about it and it will help you more than just random cold calls and emails. Also, the bigger companies (Ford, Chevy, Pepsi, etc) usually have a guy or dept that handles promos or sponsorship for events, just make sure you talk to the right people. It is hard in this economy to get free or even discounted products. I actually ended up selling my 2 race machines because I couldnt afford it alone, it is tough, especially in the larger scale circuits with huge entry fees and travel expenses.

Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your time and advice I will have to sit down take my time and write something up.being from Indiana there's not much racing here so I have to travel alot next summer to get my name out there.I would never ask for something for free that's not me but I was just wondering how it works.As of now next summer I will be running the TREC series at the badlands offroad park,great lakes dirt riot series,a few of the ECORS and hopefully a rally raid race at somepoint.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Be professional about it. When I was racing with CORR, ITP UTV Cross, and starting to get into LOORS, I tried to get sponsors hand over fist, but most the time when I promoted myself as an amateur just asking for help and discounts most people turned me down. I spent some time and made a very nice 6 page proposal telling the companies I was seeking help from about the car, about myself, the races I was entering, etc. It seemed to get a much better response as it looks more professional, when we get "sponsorship applications" in our email, 90% of the time I delete it because it looks like this:

"Hey man! I am racing (insert unknown random city local 4 race circuit that gets no coverage) and I want you guys to sponsor me. I have a 2010 RZR-S and I want a cage, doors, seats, harnesses, fire suit, beadlocks, tires, and everything else you think I need. It would be great exposure for your company. My address is: (insert address here). Thank you!"

Don't do that. It will get you nowhere. Be professional about it and it will help you more than just random cold calls and emails. Also, the bigger companies (Ford, Chevy, Pepsi, etc) usually have a guy or dept that handles promos or sponsorship for events, just make sure you talk to the right people. It is hard in this economy to get free or even discounted products. I actually ended up selling my 2 race machines because I couldn't afford it alone, it is tough, especially in the larger scale circuits with huge entry fees and travel expenses.

Good luck.
You're right...

You have to sell your "team"... and it needs to be a team. You need to show organization and the fact that you have a plan and a solid approach.

It sounds simple, which it is, but most people fail to recognize the fact that if you take your racing casually as a hobby, most companies won't want to sponsor you...
It's their business that runs the sponsorships (marketing dept) and it's an overhead expense.

A couple of misconceptions:
Sponsorships are "free" to the companies. There's no such thing...
Putting a decal on your buggy is NOT sponsorship, it's decoration.​

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here, this was my last sponsorship & branding packet...

feel free to look over it and use to get ideas and stuff to help promote yourself as a brand as well as the demographics and impressions the company would be receiving

Nick Wilson Branding Packet

Nick Wilson Sponsorship Proposal
Awesome package I have a lot of work to do.I take the racing serious and have contacted all the big tracks around here RED BUD, Joliet race park, and have even tried emailing the TORC offroad series they just need some sponsorers to back the racing since they are a sponsor driven series.I take the racing serious I'm not there for a hobby and have fun and don't care where I finish I'm there to win and have done pretty good so far winning 3 races out of 6 first year and won all 7 this year.Now I just need to travel more and get wins at different tracks.thanks for all your guys help

·
Vendor
21,911 Posts

feel free to look over it and use to get ideas and stuff to help promote yourself as a brand as well as the demographics and impressions the company would be receiving

Awesome package I have a lot of work to do.
Yea it took a lot of time and research to get the info in that packet, but it pays off.. just not when CORR and LOORS where closing and starting, at least in the UTV game. Good luck with your racing.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Vendor
21,911 Posts

Nick, those are great packet's that will surely help alot of racers looking for sponsorships. Thank you for posting them up.

no worries, since i havent raced since 2008 or so i figured why not show people all the hard work that really goes into making a real successful team so they can build off it. granted, i would change some stuff up with todays market and economy. =]

·
Caveman
755 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Vendor
21,911 Posts

hello utv I would I am interested in possible sponsorship but it seems that the links above are broken. Could you please send me a link to my E-Mail ([email protected])
Sorry our 2018 thru 2019 racing budget has already been allotted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts