Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy a cage and was wondering is it better to have spare tire on a roof rack or on a flip up bed tire carrier. Both option costs about the same. Is there any disadvantages to carrying a spare on the roof? Thanks
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
198 Posts
In addition to increasing the center of gravity that increases body roll, the added height with spare on the roof can result in clearance issues. Ability to fit in a cargo trailer, toy hauler, your garage, etc can be a problem. In desert southwest where I ride a lot, we often cross under interstates / highways in underpasses used for flash flood control. A roof mount would not work for my needs.
Keep it lower than the roof line is better. Difficulty is finding a solution that doesn’t limit cargo carrying options. Toolbox, cooler, fuel, spare parts, survival gear, etc may be needed depending upon your riding style currently, or in the future. Spare tires can be heavy to manipulate to get on and off the machine.
I have seen a few of the flip up style carriers that have had issues with both the pivoting hardware and the latching hardware, as well as some that work perfect without issues. Just be mindful of the design integrity.
Pivoting style like the Polaris design, is prone to rattling, but, that can be overcome. Provides relatively low mount, while not taking up cargo area for other things you may need.
A fixed mount can provide easy access to cargo area, and is typically at or lower than the roofline.
Mounting spare on a rear bumper is good if overall length is not a problem. It does increase the reach over height to get to things in the cargo area. With some vehicles suspension geometry, the increased overhung weight can benefit ride quality.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Overall I'd say bad idea. As Joe mentioned above, raises the center of gravity. It is subjective however on how you ride. Slow open terrain "safari" like riding, it wont really matter. But if you are kinetic, I'd stay clear of the roof.

Reactions: Reverend_FNG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try that cageworks high clearance tire carrier. I needed a spare tire carrier that would work with an aftermarket cage and after getting that one found it to have great sturdiness and good clearance even with my s and b seperator. Thought the latches might be an issue but found them to be perfect without rattles or popping loose ect.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a BCF Cage that came with a lift type spare carrier but it wont work with my Jemco box. I don't carry a tire most of the time but set it up to be carried on the roof for the times I want to take one with me.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know the theory on having the same sized tire for the rear drive, having to do with the transmission and all.

But to save weight and space, what are the thoughts of carrying a smaller, lighter spare?

If the rear needs a new tire, couldn't a front be swapped for the smaller tire?

This would be basically for getting back to the trail head. Not riding the rest of the day type fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know the theory on having the same sized tire for the rear drive, having to do with the transmission and all.

But to save weight and space, what are the thoughts of carrying a smaller, lighter spare?

If the rear needs a new tire, couldn't a front be swapped for the smaller tire?

This would be basically for getting back to the trail head. Not riding the rest of the day type fix.
In addition to a spare, I also carry a CO2 tire plug kit. Plugs fix most of my flat issues and fits in the glove box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts