• No, plugs will do

Votes: 46 51.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in an attempt to shed weight I trying to decide if I really need to keep carrying a spare or just risk it and keep plugs on hand? The tires I run are Katani Mongrels which are 10 ply so they should be really durable and much more resistant to puncture than say the stock BigHorns. Anyhow, was just wondering what most people do.............?

·
Registered
547 Posts
So in an attempt to shed weight I trying to decide if I really need to keep carrying a spare or just risk it and keep plugs on hand? The tires I run are Katani Mongrels which are 10 ply so they should be really durable and much more resistant to puncture than say the stock BigHorns. Anyhow, was just wondering what most people do.............?

For me it would depend on several things. How far are you from the truck? Do you ride alone? What is the cons of keeping the spare? Besides weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rode a Yamaha 660 Grizzly ATV for many years with a Plug Kit and was never really comfortable knowing that just by chance the Plug Kit wouldn’t make the repair good enough to get back to the Truck and with the ATV a Spare was not a viable option. Now with my new purchase of a General 1000 I’m going with a Spare Tire, ordered a front tire with a cheap rim and the Lock and Ride Spare Tire Rack. The General has plenty of cargo space to accommodate a Spare for my day treks. I travel 5 miles easily deep into the Northwest Forest with some hazards aside from a large branch tearing through a side wall or straight on puncture. If I’m playing in the Sand Dunes, or circle trails with a few hazards then Spare will stay in the Truck. The Plug Kit is in my Tool Box. Choose what’s best for your individual UTV Riding use.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Spare for me. Actually we have 2 machines and carry 1 spare. Haven't ever needed it in 2 years, but I'm not getting rid of it. There's just so many ways to wreck a tire that plugs wouldn't take care of imo. Plus it seems like it would be so much faster to throw a spare on and ride on than fiddle around and hope a field repair works to get you back. JMO.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What do you guys with a spare do for a jack?
Small scissor jack, it fits in the front trunk nicely, takes very little space. I put a 1/4" bolt through the top surface of the jack, and cut the head off leaving about 1" or a bit more sticking up. That's to stick through a hole on the a arm so it doesn't slip when your lifting it. I got mine for free from peoples' small junked cars.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Very Good / proper tires for the terrain ..in the first point ....with proper rim width and tire bulge for riding style ....w...beadlocks ,.then just a co2 tank and plugs ...IMO ...I am not going to carry the extra 60 pnds ...and it definitely wont happen in the dunes

·
Registered
78 Posts
I prefer to have a spare. But I go to the Desert and drive an hour away from my truck or any type of help where it’s hot and rocky, not much cell service. So I need to be prepared since I’ll be too far from walking to the truck, or getting help in general. There’s a lot of easy ways a tire can be out of commission to the point that a plug kit won’t help. (Popped off the bead, sidewall damage, hole too big for the plugs to seal, valve stem damage etc etc) I would rather just make it easy and throw a spare on if it’s something other then a plug can handle to get me back

Every situation is different. Depends on how far you drive away, if you have others for help/tow etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Spare + plugs, and bottle jack. Jack fits nicely under the drivers seat.
A couple of years ago I took a rock flake thru the sidewall bead just as it was getting dark and had to leave my brand new Xp1000 out in the desert overnight, 40 miles from the truck. Never again.

·
Registered
424 Posts

For me it would depend on several things. How far are you from the truck? Do you ride alone? What is the cons of keeping the spare? Besides weight.
^ Good points that factor into the decision.

I carry a plug kit with lots of plugs, a compressor, a bottle jack and a spare tire. The one flat I've had was a sidewall tear and it couldn't be sealed with plugs. I was in a location where I couldn't limp it out on a flat, was riding solo at the time, and it was a long walk to civilization (and I don't like the thought of having to leave my RZR unattended for 5-6 hours in the middle of nowhere while I hike out, find a spare, and track down somebody to give me a ride back). I run ITP Ultracross R Spec tires, which are pretty durable, but flats don't care about your tire's reputation.

If you ride in small areas where you're always within walking distance of camp/your truck, or if you always ride with friends who are willing to carry the spares and let you mooch off them if necessary, you can get away with just carrying a plug kit. Or maybe if you're always in cell phone range on your rides and always have somebody you could call to come bail you out if necessary. Otherwise, it's a good idea to carry a spare and the tools necessary to change it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spare + plugs, and bottle jack. Jack fits nicely under the drivers seat.
A couple of years ago I took a rock flake thru the sidewall bead just as it was getting dark and had to leave my brand new Xp1000 out in the desert overnight, 40 miles from the truck. Never again.
Exactly, why I’m carrying a Spare and a Plug Kit plus the Spare Belt. Bead Locks, Tire pressure, 10 ply tires don’t mean squat if you’re trekking on foot back to Camp or your truck. I’ve done that hike out one time myself and sure as hell don’t want to do it again. I realize axels or splines are going to break, radiators fail, you name it, but something precautionary as a flat tire I’m going to be prepared. Oh, don’t carry a Spare because of the weight, doesn't look kool in my ride, tell you what Twenty five miles from pavement in the Bridger - Teton National Forest of Wyoming and Im walking out because no Spare Tire, nope ain’t happening.

·
EE
151 Posts
We carry spares if we are going out further from camp, but just short runs we just have the standard repair stuff-compressor, plugs, rubber cement. I also keep tire irons and patches back at the camper. But then I also have a full size spare for front and rear back at the camp. If we go on the longer rides I have a front spare and scissor jack. These are all stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Spare, plug kit, and compressor. Scissor jack. If it doesn't work, then creativity with snatch block and winch should get machine off ground enough to change things out. That said, in the 5+ yrs I've had the RZR, I've not needed any of it, even with those lowly stock big horns.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I carry everything spare tire, plugs, compressor ,new valve stem incase one gets damaged..if we have both cars the winch is the jack. old truck screew type bottle jack if just one car.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts