Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I went to my local dealer to see about getting some extra keys made and I am shown that the only way to get keys is to buy a complete ignition switch assembly for about $60.00.

Does anyone know if there are key blanks readily available so that I can have a few keys made just so I don't get stranded somewhere... I've already had to hot wire mine once because I ran off and left the key at home....

Thanks,:doh:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We got 2 made at our local key shop /lock smith. They have maybe 1000 types of blanks. The keys we had made are shaped different but work great and only cost a couple bucks. If you have lock smith shop somewhere close I would try that. Not HD or Lowes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
my dealer sold me a blank and made it for $8

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Your factory keys had a code number on them. I think they have about 20 different codes. What that means, if you owned all 20 keys, you could start any RZR out there with enough tries. Just like the lawn and garden business, 3 keys will start 99 % of the stuff under 30 HP, excluding Kubotas. Your dealer CAN get you the proper key, if you had the original key code, otherwise a good local locksmith can make them, except they won't have the cool rubber grip on them.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the dealer only got as far as the parts diagram in the computer. I will check with a local ACE that are real good folks and local business...

Thanks for all the good tips guys. See some of you in the dunes....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried many places to get a spare key..no luck. Went to Ace Hdwr. and bought a Chevy blank #DA22. Took it home, ground down the blank to the correct length of the RZR key, then took it back and they cut it for me...BINGO!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet!!! Great plan I ended up at ACE Hardware myself and had 4 keys made and cost me like 6 bucks...

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should be able to take a key into to your dealer with the key code in it. They should either stock it or can order it. Not the who switch. I did it.
Sounds like your dealer is not being straight with you!

·
Registered
532 Posts
So I went to my local dealer to see about getting some extra keys made and I am shown that the only way to get keys is to buy a complete ignition switch assembly for about $60.00.

Does anyone know if there are key blanks readily available so that I can have a few keys made just so I don't get stranded somewhere... I've already had to hot wire mine once because I ran off and left the key at home....

Thanks,:doh:
I think I would have a hard time having this dealer do any work for me in the future.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here ishow Polaris does it. If you look at your oem key there is a number on it. They take the first 2 numbers off the key and this gives them the style of he blank key. From there some dealers will cut a key and some will send u with a blank to go to the hardware store to cut it. If I remember the blank Polaris key is $9 ish. Ya a rip off but there ya go

1 - 19 of 19 Posts