Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I use a short piece of threaded rod with 2 nuts jammed together. A 1/4-20 x 4” threaded bolt and a 1/4 drive ratchet with 7/16 socket is all you need. It doesn’t take much effort to open the sheaves. I put a piece of clear tubing over the rod to protect the threads since it’s in a packed tool bag.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
First off, if you go any distance away from help, I think you're crazy if you don't take a spare belt and tools. Been on too many snowmobile/rzr trips where belts have died to not have a spare. No belt out there lasts forever, especially if you drive in a way that is hard on the belt.

To your question, on my XP 2 seater, there's a perfect spot for carrying a belt. Almost like Polaris designed it as a spot to carry the belt. Take out a seat and it's in the lower-rear panel, behind and below the door. Keeps it out of the elements and out of your way. Not sure if there are similar spots on other models.

View attachment 670601
That's a great place.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry all the same except the wheel bearing. I have thought about it, but what’s you’re plan for removal and installation in the field? I have removed them on the workbench with a punch and hammer and although it’s slow it is possible. But what’s your plan to install a new one?
I picked this up the other day, working on an Ace I just picked up but it's not at the house to use a real press. It worked awesome to pull out old and press in new wheel bearings. Wouldn't be hard to carry the pieces neccessary to do the job on a single machine.

Front Wheel Drive Bearing Remover and Installer Kit, 21 Pc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I carry all the same except the wheel bearing. I have thought about it, but what’s you’re plan for removal and installation in the field? I have removed them on the workbench with a punch and hammer and although it’s slow it is possible. But what’s your plan to install a new one?
I carry a full set of punches and a good sized hammer so I can drive a new one back in if I can drive the old one out I guess is my way of thinking. The ones I carry are all balls cheap ones so if I mess one up tailside its not a big deal. It just needs to last enough to get me back to the truck where I have a full set of Kryptonite bearings I purchased with plans to install (so far the stock ones are holding up well with regular maintenance so I just have not done it). From there I will either pack up and head home or take it to a shop and have one installed if the trail fix wasnt optimal. I have seen some videos of a really cool compact looking tool recently that just uses an impact wrench and can be used to press bearings IN and OUT. I and a few other guys I ride with carry the milwaukee battery impacts so that may be an addition to the box soon if I can find the link to it again when they become available, and they dont cost a rediculous fortune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked this up the other day, working on an Ace I just picked up but it's not at the house to use a real press. It worked awesome to pull out old and press in new wheel bearings. Wouldn't be hard to carry the pieces neccessary to do the job on a single machine.

Front Wheel Drive Bearing Remover and Installer Kit, 21 Pc.
This is very similar to the tool I saw in a preview video on Instagram or FB. The one I saw was specific for the RZR sized wheel bearings and not a generic kit and it looked a little more HD, but I bet they will want more than $120 bucks for it when it becoomes available.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No spare tire or jack? Maybe it just the local rocks but I've seen way more unfixable tires than any other problem.
Knock on wood I've never had a flat, I am a low gear slow rider 98% of the time and pick my lines as carefully as possible to avoid sharp rocks to the sidewalls. I have a winch, snatch blocks and straps as well as buddies with winches so we can always get a machine off the ground. As far as a spare tire goes if its torn up bad enough for plugs/sidewall slugs to not be able to fix then its trash anyways. The Beadlocks will hold it on the rim enough to roll out of the woods so we can get a truck or trailer to it. Also carrying a 34" spare would take up a LOT of real estate on the machine and add a lot more weight up high and make the machine more top heavy, So I take my chances there....

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Knock on wood I've never had a flat, I am a low gear slow rider 98% of the time and pick my lines as carefully as possible to avoid sharp rocks to the sidewalls. I have a winch, snatch blocks and straps as well as buddies with winches so we can always get a machine off the ground. As far as a spare tire goes if its torn up bad enough for plugs/sidewall slugs to not be able to fix then its trash anyways. The Beadlocks will hold it on the rim enough to roll out of the woods so we can get a truck or trailer to it. Also carrying a 34" spare would take up a LOT of real estate on the machine and add a lot more weight up high and make the machine more top heavy, So I take my chances there....
My thoughts exactly. Worst case scenario is have someone run and get my spare.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts