Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
In my Ridged. Don't want it in the elements or wet and muddy when if I need it. I'm going to take of the OEM belt and move it to my spare shortly. When I do I'll decide what extra tools I want to have for an emergency repair and dedicate them to the machine.

At this moment I'm thinking 1/4" rachet, a few extensions, a driver handle, and two long bolts matching the thread of the screw in tool.

Anybody know what this thread is?
The thread pitch is 1/4-20 on the XPT secondary removal tool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my machine I have one of those savage cases with my spare belt (broken in), a clutch tool, a razor knife, and a long flex shaft screwdriver with an 8mm bit. ,I got both the machine specific tool and the screwdriver in a kit Tusk Belt Change Tool Kit
Then for my wife's ace we just have a spare belt in one of these belt bags, because she would never be out without me so we can use my tools to change it. DT Racing Spare Belt Bag

·
Registered
33 Posts
do you all carry a spare drive belt? And if so where do you store it?
I have two Pelican 1600 cases stacked on top of each other with an Ozark cooler at the back of my bed. I carry a spare voltage regulator, spare lug nuts, lug nut wrench and sockets, zip ties, wire cutters, assortment of pliers, sockets, wrenches, and allen wrenches, also a quart of engine oil, spare tie rod and joint. It's not entirely for me, but you'd be amazed at what you come up on when riding the trails.

Reactions: Realdeal4037

·
Registered
50 Posts
i carry one behind the seat, i also carry a spare furl pump spare fuses a spare tire and a trail jack and i have a 5 gallon can of fuel and a 5 gallon can tool box

·
Registered
138 Posts
I carry my broken in spare in an overhead zipper pouch. Also blocking, jack and hand tools in order to change that and my spare axle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i carry one behind the seat, i also carry a spare furl pump spare fuses a spare tire and a trail jack and i have a 5 gallon can of fuel and a 5 gallon can tool box
Do you often need the extra gas? If I burn 3/4 of my tank, I'm too worn out to go much further.😂😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like many other people, I carry 2 belts that have both been used for a short time. One is the stock belt, one is a cheap Gates belt I ordered for an emergency spare when I first got my machine and I am currently running the Hunterworks Thick belt on my machine. As far as parts go, I also carry a full spare HD tie rod kit from SATV, 2 ball joints, 2 wheel bearings, wheel studs, lug nuts, CV clamps, CV grease and the outter CV joint portion of an axle just in case the threads break of at the castle nut. I carry all the hand tools needed to do those jobs, including an axle puller, a 12v compressor, lots of plugs and an Eastwing Camp axe. I have a stack of Rigid boxes in my bed, one large one for tools/belts, one thinner one for Parts and more often than not a second thinner one for snacks/extra clothes. The pic below shows one large and one thin rigid box stacked behind my cooler, when the third box is on there it adds about 6" to the height, but I only put light stuff in that top box. Back at the trailer I have 2 spare front axles and one rear and a spare fuel pump. I did see someone else post that they carry a spare voltage regulator which may be the next addition to my kit. I carry way more than I hope I will ever need, but I am a "better to have it and not need it" kinda guy.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
It's not a good idea to store a belt where it's open to the elements. I borrow the wife's vacuum sealing machine and seal up my spare belt and throw it on the storage box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First off, if you go any distance away from help, I think you're crazy if you don't take a spare belt and tools. Been on too many snowmobile/rzr trips where belts have died to not have a spare. No belt out there lasts forever, especially if you drive in a way that is hard on the belt.

To your question, on my XP 2 seater, there's a perfect spot for carrying a belt. Almost like Polaris designed it as a spot to carry the belt. Take out a seat and it's in the lower-rear panel, behind and below the door. Keeps it out of the elements and out of your way. Not sure if there are similar spots on other models.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
First off, if you go any distance away from help, I think you're crazy if you don't take a spare belt and tools. Been on too many snowmobile/rzr trips where belts have died to not have a spare. No belt out there lasts forever, especially if you drive in a way that is hard on the belt.

To your question, on my XP 2 seater, there's a perfect spot for carrying a belt. Almost like Polaris designed it as a spot to carry the belt. Take out a seat and it's in the lower-rear panel, behind and below the door. Keeps it out of the elements and out of your way. Not sure if there are similar spots on other models.

View attachment 670601
You’re right I’m crazy.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Like many other people, I carry 2 belts that have both been used for a short time. One is the stock belt, one is a cheap Gates belt I ordered for an emergency spare when I first got my machine and I am currently running the Hunterworks Thick belt on my machine. As far as parts go, I also carry a full spare HD tie rod kit from SATV, 2 ball joints, 2 wheel bearings, wheel studs, lug nuts, CV clamps, CV grease and the outter CV joint portion of an axle just in case the threads break of at the castle nut. I carry all the hand tools needed to do those jobs, including an axle puller, a 12v compressor, lots of plugs and an Eastwing Camp axe. I have a stack of Rigid boxes in my bed, one large one for tools/belts, one thinner one for Parts and more often than not a second thinner one for snacks/extra clothes. The pic below shows one large and one thin rigid box stacked behind my cooler, when the third box is on there it adds about 6" to the height, but I only put light stuff in that top box. Back at the trailer I have 2 spare front axles and one rear and a spare fuel pump. I did see someone else post that they carry a spare voltage regulator which may be the next addition to my kit. I carry way more than I hope I will ever need, but I am a "better to have it and not need it" kinda guy. View attachment 670596
I carry all the same except the wheel bearing. I have thought about it, but what’s you’re plan for removal and installation in the field? I have removed them on the workbench with a punch and hammer and although it’s slow it is possible. But what’s your plan to install a new one?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I also carry spare belts. Last trip to CO I carried two just in case one broke I’d still be able to continue to ride and still have a spare. Both are broken in.

Given the way I ride, I’m pretty unlikely to break one but I like piece of mind and the infamous Murphy is always waiting to screw you over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like many other people, I carry 2 belts that have both been used for a short time. One is the stock belt, one is a cheap Gates belt I ordered for an emergency spare when I first got my machine and I am currently running the Hunterworks Thick belt on my machine. As far as parts go, I also carry a full spare HD tie rod kit from SATV, 2 ball joints, 2 wheel bearings, wheel studs, lug nuts, CV clamps, CV grease and the outter CV joint portion of an axle just in case the threads break of at the castle nut. I carry all the hand tools needed to do those jobs, including an axle puller, a 12v compressor, lots of plugs and an Eastwing Camp axe. I have a stack of Rigid boxes in my bed, one large one for tools/belts, one thinner one for Parts and more often than not a second thinner one for snacks/extra clothes. The pic below shows one large and one thin rigid box stacked behind my cooler, when the third box is on there it adds about 6" to the height, but I only put light stuff in that top box. Back at the trailer I have 2 spare front axles and one rear and a spare fuel pump. I did see someone else post that they carry a spare voltage regulator which may be the next addition to my kit. I carry way more than I hope I will ever need, but I am a "better to have it and not need it" kinda guy. View attachment 670596
No spare tire or jack? Maybe it just the local rocks but I've seen way more unfixable tires than any other problem.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I carry all the same except the wheel bearing. I have thought about it, but what’s you’re plan for removal and installation in the field? I have removed them on the workbench with a punch and hammer and although it’s slow it is possible. But what’s your plan to install a new one?
I’ve seen a few replaced out on the trail using this driver. Much easier and quicker than a only a punch

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
So guys are just using a punch to install the new bearing then? I wasn’t sure if you had made a special too install them in the field. I carry an 18v 1/2 impact and thought about making something with threads to tighten with the impact that would drive the bearing in but haven’t got around to it yet. I’ve made similar tools for replacing ball joints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It's not a good idea to store a belt where it's open to the elements. I borrow the wife's vacuum sealing machine and seal up my spare belt and throw it on the storage box.

View attachment 670601
thanks, I’ll have to check that out.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts
The thread pitch is 1/4-20 on the XPT secondary removal tool.

Thanks Snow!

Any reason I don't just keep a few of those in w/tools and spin them in with with a socket wrench?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts