Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

South Dakota Plates for Non-Residents

174K views 191 replies 81 participants last post by  Jcruz7500 
#1 ·
Thought I would share my experience with registering and licensing my RZR in South Dakota as a non-resident (I live in Iowa). I can not say enough good words about South Dakota and their willingness to work with those that want to vacation and ride in their state! Mailed the forms late Thursday and the plates where in the mail the next Monday! They even e-mailed me to let me know everything was done and on its way!

I chose a county in South Dakota that was the nearest to where I live in case I needed to make an appearance in person. It turns out everything can be done through the mail. I e-mailed (uctreas2@iw.net) them with my request and here is the e-mail I got back from the Union County Treasurer about the procedure to register and get my South Dakota plates:
Attached are 3 forms needed to apply for license plates on your ATV. Please feel free to call 605-356-2391 with questions.

1. State of SD Application for Motor Vehicle Title Section III. Fill in names & SS # of EVERY person listed on your title as owner. Fill in address, VIN # & all vehicle info in section IV. Sign & Date at the bottom.

2. Affadavit. Fill in the bottom affidavit ONLY (Interstate Title -Non Negotiable) with year, make Serial #. This form must be SIGNED and notarized.

3, Four Wheel All Terrain Vehicle Affadavit: Again, fill in Make, Model, VIN & write in WHO installed the accessories to make the ATV Street Legal. It must have Mirror, Horn, Exhaust, Headlights, Lic Plate light, lights & be at least 200 cc. This form must ALSO be signed & Notarized.

Mail all three completed forms ALONG WITH a COPY of your title & COPIES of Drivers License of each person listed as an owner on the title. Include your phone # so we can call you if we have questions.

As far as costs; I estimate your fees to be $60 to $70 which includes mailing your plate. You can either enclose a check (we will refund any overpayment) or we will call you for a credit card once we have all the paperwork.

IT IS EASIEST to come up to our office with your title & photo ID's & we will do all the paperwork & notarizing for you. Once you are "in the system" renewal of you plate license each year is easily accomplished by mail.​

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, Kewl, thanks for the posting as i was wondering about it..

I just registered my home address in Madison, SD as i'm planning on going full time Truck Camper and needed a "Home address of residency"

While I'm still in Kent, WA I wanted to register it in SD.

I did check with WA licensing and they don't do the Reciprocal ORV tags, you have to get them for WA.. if you want to ride in WA.

I wanted to make it street legal and SD seemed a little vague so figure I'd use the WA requirement and then make it legal in SD for National Street Legal since Home is SD...

thanks...

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the info!

I called the Custer County Department of Revenue today and the lady was super kind and helpful.

She directed me to go to www.custercountysd.com once on that page under the first picture is a link that says "Black Hills ATV Permit Info", it contains a simple three page application that can be sent in via email or mail.

The Permit from the Treasurer’s Office cost $1.00 per day with a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 15 days plus $1.00 handling fee. The Permit can be mailed or emailed to you.

They do note YOU MAY ALSO NEED A PERMIT FROM THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE – this allows you to ride on
Forest Service ‘trails’. Call Forest Service Office @ 605-673-9200 for further details.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info!

I called the Custer County Department of Revenue today and the lady was super kind and helpful.

She directed me to go to Custer County, South Dakota - once on that page under the first picture is a link that says "Black Hills ATV Permit Info", it contains a simple three page application that can be sent in via email or mail.

The Permit from the Treasurer’s Office cost $1.00 per day with a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 15 days plus $1.00 handling fee. The Permit can be mailed or emailed to you.

They do note YOU MAY ALSO NEED A PERMIT FROM THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE – this allows you to ride on
Forest Service ‘trails’. Call Forest Service Office @ 605-673-9200 for further details.
Did this get you South Dakota tags or just a temporary permit.

#10 ·
Just make a copy of the bill of sale and MSO and send it in with the other required forms. To make sure you have everything you need, call the county you are using. I used Union County.

The contact info for Union County is uctreas2@iw.net / 605-356-2391.

#11 ·
subscribed

#18 ·
The ticketed person should be able to get that dropped. South Dakota specifically allows non-residents to tag vehicles in SD using their non-SD address. Full time motorhome/ travel trailer owners have been doing this for years due to SD's requirements being easier on those with no fixed permanent address, either using a remailing service in SD or another address. My grandparents used my address in OK for their SD vehicle registrations and it was never an issue when they got pulled over.

I have talked to LEO's in multiple counties in Utah that all say a SD plate on a RZR is perfectly fine- they don't care if you live in Oklahoma and have a South Dakota plate as long as the addresses on the registration and your driver's license match and all other street legal requirements are met. I don't see how AZ could successfully mount a challenge to another state's legally issued license plate.

#20 ·
just got a phone call from S.D treasurer asking for the fee of $51.00 My plate is in the mail to Michigan so I can ride in Utah next summer pretty much anywhere on the road. Honestly the only reason I did it was so I could ride legally in the Glen Canyon Recreation Area.

#25 ·
If you look up the Utah law 41-6a-1509 5a it is pretty cut and dry on out of state street legal. In reality it really depends on who pulls you over or where you get pulled over as to what happens. This summer in Moab we had quite a few utvs impounded. From what the newspaper said most were registration/insurance issues.

#26 ·
Most if not all jurisdictions have a list of about a dozen conditions that need to be met to be considered a state resident regardless of the vehicles license plate. Like, a kid in school, bank account, pay a utility bill, local address, ect. If any one of these many conditions are met you are required by law to get that states plate within 30 days or pay the license fee and fine. I my experience, the neighbor of the the guy with the out of state plates is the one to call the cops because they have to pay and so should you! Easy to tell how long the scam has been in effect by the date on the registration. Chino

#27 ·
I'm not contradicting anyone here, I'm just going to state what I did and what I was told today by 2 different people at the Utah DMV. This maked a total of 3 different people in the last week. My South Dakota plates make me legal to ride on the road in Utah, providing I add all necessary equipment to align with Utah's requirements.

#47 ·
I too would like to know if anyone has had success with this. I was at Silver lake sand dunes this weekend and ran into a guy with South Dakota plates on his rzr. He said that he had done everything by mail and received his plate within a week. My question is, does this actually work or could I still get ticketed and impounded in Michigan? I would hate to spend the money on accessories to make it street legal and find out that it's not legit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.