Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After goin through 1/4 qt oil every 40-50 miles and plugging the spark arrester with soot Polaris finally gave in and had a brand new top end installed.
200 miles trouble free, today I rubbed the inside of the tail pipe and its chuck full of soot (just like the tail pipe on my cummins) so I checked the oil again and all is well with the oil level.
What in the hell could be causing all this soot. I've been running ethanol free 88 octane since the rebuild and it runs great. Just gettin a Lil tired of the soot not knowing what's causing it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Machine only has 1200 miles on it. About to dump it and jump on a new can am maverik!
Thanks mooseman

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
If its running great as you say and it is no longer eating oil, then its on the rich side. They're all gonna have some soot build up in the pipe. Make sure your air filter is pretty clean too. The only way to know for sure is get it on a sniffer with a wideband O2 to know what your fuel mixture is, but at this point, it just sounds rich...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just got the 900 4 back yesterday after a two week Polaris diagnosis.
Dealer done every test plus some that Polaris suggested.
Put a new ECM in it and al seemed fine, rode it 4 miles, shut it off then had 8 seconds of crank time before it would start, and the pipe is chuck full of soot again! I personally cleaned it before I even unloaded off the trailer.
Everyone is lost as what is causing this. Runs awesome till the spark arrester plugs up.
Fire, flood , cliff, Lemon law?
Anybody seen this before?? Can anyone help? I'm gettin an ass chewin from the wife like non ever for me talkin her into this 900. Dealer is way awesome and very knowledgeable but something is gettin by Polaris engineers and my dealer.
Please please, ideas anyone? I ain't got much butt left for chewin. Whe. It gone shell strt with the next closeest thing. Must have fixed before then.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My fix was the clean the spark arrestor thoroughly and place it in the bottom of my tool bag.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm curious can you remove the spark arrester and run it then? If you have a plugged muffler it won't let the engine suck all the air it needs to run.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just wanting to know what's makin the soot, I pull it at the dunes but the forest service checks those first thing

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is the soot oily or just black fluffy soot?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'm curious can you remove the spark arrester and run it then? If you have a plugged muffler it won't let the engine suck all the air it needs to run.
I've had mine out for 500 miles and runs much better without it. Just a tad louder.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's interesting. Does the engine smoke on hard acceleration or deceleration? None of my motorcycles have used oil. And I've owned a bunch. But I've not owned a Polaris product before. How did you break it in? Slow and easy or getting on it and letting it cool down and then getting on it again? Some baby the engine too much and the rings never seat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It dont smoke at all and runs strong, i broke it in by heat cycling, found that to be the best for any engine ive owned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay so why is it using oil? I use M1 synthetic in all my M/C engines. I change it every,5000 miles. None of them use any oil between changes. I know some oil will always get by the rings and is normal. But your case sounds excessive. My 01 Dodge with a 5.9Cummins with 120,000 miles on it goes 5000 miles without using oil. What's up? One would think if the engine is using oil it would smoke on hard acceleration and on deceleration. Strange yours does not. Where is the oil going?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes that is where I was going next. It's possible that the smoke is so light you can't see it. Rings.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dealer put a whole new top end on it. Pistons, rings and new cylinders.
I put 200 miles on it and 3/4 qt to top it off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How are you checking your oil? Hopefully the dealer techs know what they are doing! I just finished spending five hours at the dealership while my son made his purchase. I can't really speak to this dealer, but some M/C dealers I'm aware of don't have the best techs!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are you checking your oil? Hopefully the dealer techs know what they are doing! I just finished spending five hours at the dealership while my son made his purchase. I can't really speak to this dealer, but some M/C dealers I'm aware of don't have the best techs!
I start it up cold and idle for 30 sec then shut off and wait 15 sec then pull the stick, wipe it off, screw all the way back in the pull and check.
The dealer is getting very close guidance from Polaris since they r getting the bill.
The dealerships engine builder is top notch, he's built many well performing motors from bikes to sleds.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts