Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Some people shouldnt drive !!

7K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  itsruf 
#1 ·
Just posting up some pics of our RZR4 after our last renter had his fun with it. His story is, he was doing 15 mph, and the rear tire lost air pressure so it just rolled 3 times. (holding my tongue) I dont think Ill get rzr of the month with this one :rofl3:

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
That sucks! You know guys drive rentals like they stole 'em..no respect for other peoples property.
But on a good note it looks like the Cage held up VERY well IMO for 3 rolls compared to what I have seen the 2 seaters look like after even 1 roll.
What happened on the RR looks like the spanner nuts on the shock broke?

Edit..wonder if the spanner nuts gave out BEFORE the roll and that is what he interpreted as the tire loosing air??? Hmmmm..too many jumps maybe?

G
#9 ·
Did the welds tear?...just curious excatly how it broke? Isn't the beefiest shock mount in the world for sure..but the angle that the shock sits at it looks like it would take a good force to tear the mount off..bend one..I could see that...rip it off..DAMN!

#13 ·
well our insurance covers it. Each renter pays a fee to be added to our insurance. Its getting totaled out, so not so good for us this early in business. We will be buying it back and we will repair it ourselves im sure for a fraction of the cost. So far it doesnt look like the frame is bent. I guess I wont know until I can dig farther into it. We cant touch it, until its completely settled though. If nothing else, its got a ton of good parts on it, only being a 35 hr machine

#16 ·
Do you want that extra rental insurance on this here RZR 4 ?

"Yes sir I do, this RZR is going to see more air time than a skate board at the X games!!!!

#17 ·
Here's my take on it, even though it's none of my business. If he talked about suing, then likely the machine did suffer some major component failure. If he's NOT talking about legal action, then he knows he's at fault by operating the machine in an unsafe manner. And we ALL know exactly what that manner is. Rest assured, your insurance company will ask very specific questions to all those in attendance. They will draw their own conclusions and go from there. Try taking a 2010 Buick Lacrosse back to Enterprise looking that rough, and getting a free pass. Won't happen! Good luck with your situation.
I know guys that brag about beating the daylights out of anything they rent, and then laugh about it. I just give them the dead straight stare, and they know how I feel about that statement.

#23 ·
I agree with this statment completely....I doubt anyone, ANYONE, even our most expierianced riders could roll that RAZR4 3 times at 15MPH...wheres the momentum to roll that many times??? At 15 he would flop on his side!! Do you live by the grand canyon? Cause then....then I might be able to roll it 3 times at 15...I hope the insurance goes after this person locked and loaded!!
Secondly, To shear that type of metal, be it the shock, riser, frame mounts ect... is going to take an immense force.. I just cant believe thet storty..I cant... knowing me..I would have gone to the fridge..got the guy a beer...laughed about it...make him think I didnt give a rats arse..."heck, the insurance has it man...Common How high did you get??" I would have figured some way to get the truth out....either the truth stays with me..or your front few teeth stay with me...

I'm truly sorry for your loss, and when good people are starting up business' in this economy... F'n Jerks... "some people shouldnt drive" U R RIGHT!

#19 ·
A few years ago we rented jeeps at some sand dunes.. First thing the rental people said was don't jump them.. I'm pretty sure I got mine 3-4 feet off the ground.. Its just the nature of the beast. Thats why its hard to find places that rent toys and motorhomes.
That said.. If the spanner nut broke on that shock before he rolled it could have Very easily caused him to roll even at low speed since he was just renting it and probably wasn't very use to the machine.. I know it only had 35 hours on the machine. But IMHO 1 hour of rental use is probably like 10 hours of owner use..

#20 ·
Just posting up some pics of our RZR4 after our last renter had his fun with it. His story is, he was doing 15 mph, and the rear tire lost air pressure so it just rolled 3 times. (holding my tongue) I dont think Ill get rzr of the month with this one :rofl3:

Troy,

Tell me it's replacement is in the background and your renters haven't totaled another one. Is that the new shop?

Eli

#21 ·
Wow that's too bad. I could never be in the rental business just because you know everyone is lying through their teeth about what happened. I would have to adopt a policy that how you return my vehicle is how I deliver your car back to you that I keep in my locked parking lot. :rofl3:
Could you imagine their face when they saw you smacking their truck outside with a sledgehammer to knock the shock of the axle. :scared2:

#22 ·
A GPS beacon may be a wise investment on each rental. You can keep records on how fast the renters are driving, where they are, and where they've been and of course, comes in handy as an anti-theft device. And I think they work as a safety device somehow as if a driver gets hurt and cannot move, the GPS will lead help straight to them. Like Onstar or whatever it's called.

#24 ·
IMO I find it very hard to believe that RZR was rolled 3 times. The cage looks pretty straight. Infact it looks like most of the damage is just plastics. I'm sure the cage is tweaked even if it just rolled once.. The only reason why the guy would embellish his wreck would be if the spanner nut broke or the tire went flat and he blames is wreck on a mechanical failure.. If he was infact doing something stupid and rolled it why would he not just say it rolled once?

G
#27 · (Edited)
My guess about the spanner nut was incorrect..look close and you can see the piston is extended..not just the spring..
vagastoys4rent said the upper shock mount broke/the bolt was torn from the mount letting the shock extend up to the bed..
I agree the cage looks GREAT for rolling 3 times...maybe it was 3 rotations in the air without touching anything:rofl3:
I too have to wonder if the shock mount broke first..would explain him saying the right rear tire went flat/lost air. If it did I would really like to hear the truth on how it happened/what he was doing before and when it broke...

#28 ·
I may be off by a country mile on my thoughts, but my parents ran an equipment rental business for years, and saw crap that you wouldn't believe. Again, this topic is none of my business, but I spent years as an arson investigator and found so many holes in peoples stories. Main reason was a kitchen fire, or oh yeah, a bathroom fire (like bathrooms burst into flames on a regular basis) Major reason is fraud to make the insurance company buy a remodel job for the kitchen and most of the rest of the home.
The more I think about this, the more holes I see in the story. Was the machine on a 30 degree side incline just prior to the roll over? You might get a tripple roll if it was high enough on a hillside. I would visit the area of said incident and take a look first from a distance, and then up close to see what terrain played a part in this incident. I would doubt if the machine rolled 3 times. The cage looks too good for that much force x 3.
I know this incident wasn't an effort to collect insurance, as it's not going to the renter. But I have seen people lie to their mother just to cover up a booboo that they can't or won't fess up to. Just ask 2 people that were there what the direction of travel was just prior to the roll over, and I'll bet you get 2 different answers.
Remember the dofuss with the Toyota Prius in California a few months back. He said he was standing on the brake pedal for ten minutes trying to slow the car. CHP took car to a local Toyota dealer immediately. When they pulled the wheels and inspected the brake rotors, they found nothing more than normal wear. Fraud.

#29 ·
I don't think anyone here is off by a "country mile" if anything, we are ALL probably off by the entire story from the get go....he said that part about the rear tire....that has got EVERYONE, in this thread looking at how this possibly happened, like it was mentioned about investigating arson...

That guy was probably jumping the crap out of it, maybe slammed it on it's side a few times, hit some more jumps and the back finally gave out.... Why not say....hey, that's what started it, it wasn't my fault... It just goes to show how just a little deception can get everyone in a Thread to wonder about that failure, that most likely was caused from jumping and beating the crap out of it...I don't care if the whole dang axle, upper and lower A-arms, and the wheel fall off while I'm making a left hand turn at 15mph, ITS NOT GOING TO ROLL 3 times.... It's just a flat out lie!!!

I LOVE, the idea of installing the GPS tattle tale systems!!! They might cost a bit...but could very well SAVE, your company..heck, they even have a "black box" in my new Chrysler 300.. In the manual it says that law enforcement can request it (for court/investigation) in matters that involve serious accidents.. It tells them everything from were you on the gas, speed, braking, blah, blah, blah....apparently these are getting installed in a lot of newer vehicles, and personally, I don't mind, I don't go breaking the law, and if someones driving 50 mph in a school zone and clips a kid..no witnesses, but swears he was doing 15 mph and rolled 3 times and clipped he kid... I'll damned happy they pull the info out of that box and put that moron away!!! JMHO...to add to that, when my son first turns 16 and gets his license, I will be installing one(gps tattle tale)... It will help keep him honest. & I talked with State Farm Insurance and since they are "new" they are still working out the plans/ideas, but they said if it works out, parents who install them in vehicles that teens are driving it will cut their insurance rates by a veer large margin..The lady said most likely around $75-125 a month cheaper fir a 16 year old, depending on the policy and premiums ect... That's A LOT of money and would pay for itself rather quickly...my son may not like it, but geeez, have you seen what they charge for full coverage for a 16 year old... I was told around $220 a month!!! Yeah, I'll install one, when they make the news rules to lower the rates...

G
#30 ·
they are "new" they are still working out the plans/ideas, but they said if it works out, parents who install them in vehicles that teens are driving it will cut their insurance rates by a veer large margin..The lady said most likely around $75-125 a month cheaper fir a 16 year old, depending on the policy and premiums ect... That's A LOT of money and would pay for itself rather quickly...my son may not like it, but geeez, have you seen what they charge for full coverage for a 16 year old... I was told around $220 a month!!! Yeah, I'll install one, when they make the news rules to lower the rates...
At least one of the major insurance companies already offer this or something simlilar uses tracking devices...can't recall if it is GEICO,USAA or Progressive but it is one of those 3..IIRC they also supply the device.

Here's Progressive's deal.. but this isn't the program I recall reading about..most have been Geico or USAA..
Snapshot ? Auto Insurance Discounts ? Progressive Insurance

#31 ·
Am I the only one that is going to point out the guy is renting his stuff out and is shocked that it got abused?

Of course they lied....of course they were beating on it.....its a rental, it the nature of the beast.

Sounds like the GPS tracker is the best way if you ask me

G
#32 ·
I didn't get the impression that vegastoys4rent was shocked...maybe irratated and regardless if it is the "nature of the beast" and to be expected in the line of business...I think in his shoes we would all be irratated..

#33 ·
The GPS tracker might not be a bad idea just so you could check how fast someone was really going when they wrecked. But I mean really that doesn't help you any.. You will still have either a insurance claim or a out of pocket expense on your hands. If I'm driving 30Mph down a trail and I wreck who is to say I should have been going 20mph on that trail. There isn't any speed limits. If I rent something and pay extra for the insurance if I have a wreck I expect it to be handled. From the pictures it was just a wreck. Now if it came back looking like they played bumper cars with them like in days of thunder thats a little different.
Almost everyone I know that Owns a off road toy has wrecked an off road toy at some point lol. Were they driving fast, power sliding in a turn, ect. Haha sure most of them probably were.. But thats whats fun. Who wants to putt around and keep the rear end behind you all the time.

#34 ·
I know that the Spinreel Rental place (Coos Bay)
They have a fairly strict speed limit....and its only 'running speed' (on foot)

If you have your customers sign an agreement, you have a GPS tattle tale......if it comes back with damage, you pull the data....it says 45 ground speed.....
Wouldn't it be on the customers Visa card??

#35 ·
If I was told I could not drive over 30 I wouldn't rent a RZR.. Thats like renting a jetski and having to drive slower then a guy in a john boat lol

#40 ·

Troy,

Tell me it's replacement is in the background and your renters haven't totaled another one. Is that the new shop?

Eli
Hey eli, good to hear from you.. Yeah thats the replacement in the back ground. Unfortunately we had to buy that before we got the insurance money, so it hurt a little, but thanks to you, I got a pretty good deal local for it lol No I didnt go thru mesquite, but I got someone in vegas to pretty much match his price. I would have still rather gone to mesquite, but his hours of operation didnt pan out with my investors lol You gotta bring the guy with the money to buy em !! lol

#42 ·
Thanks. I just wish he would pick up his phone, so my insurance company can finish there investigation and We can get our check. Why would anyone be scared to talk to the insurance company if they are so innocent. ?? Especially when he said his brother broke his arm, but there has been no evidence of that. Im starting to think he just said that hoping I would forget all about the deposit? I dont know.

#43 ·
I rolled my rhino down a 10% grade sideways at midnight one night and couldnt get more than one roll at of it so this guys full of S?it, I would have broke his arm for him!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.