Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how most people feel about this but I dont want to fork out an additional 10 grand to get a stock turbo right now when i can get this one installed at 3,000.00.

My question is for those who have done this.

Have you had any problems? is there anything i should be careful with?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Aside from shaking my head, I'd be thinking:

Do you believe the kit fully covers these:
  • Lower your peak RPM, for you're going to be stressing an engine not made for this, and RPM is a big deal stress wise.
  • I don't know the engine well enough, but I'd certainly be worried about pre-igntiion.
- Who's doing the custom ECU tune?
- I'd never run anything less than 93 in it.
  • Does this kit include an IC? If not, include that in the cost right now, for it's a requirement.
  • How do you plan on handling the engine heat? It's going to build up a LOT of heat, and your machine's not ready for it.
  • I seem to recall the transmission is weaker too. Have you at least looked at that? (I may be wrong on the 4 seater)
  • And isn't the belt weaker too on an 1000?
2) Then tell me this:

• What is your expected resale value? You know it's not going up, right?
  • What do you suppose it's worth if it blows up? (because any good decision includes "risk dollars")
  • What do you know about add-on turbos in the off-road word, and what do you think the owner satisfaction and retention period is (hint, this was sorta common in the sledding world, and the answer are "not good" and "not long".
Now I'm not going to say it's not possible, or that a quality build can't be created. But it won't be cheap, powerful, and reliable. In fact, as always, you may pick any two.

Finally:

Look at post #7 and #9 sir...

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,200 Posts
.... What are you talking about. The difference between a 2019 xp1000 which i have and a 2020 turbo s 4 seater would bbe about 10 grand minimum
$1200 difference, that's what he's talking about, and you get a bit more than a reliable turbo setup and 58 hp for that $1200 too. Going to a Turbo S with dynamix is changing a bit more than just adding a turbo, which is where I assume you're getting the $10k figure from, apples to oranges. I'd trade/sell the 19 1K in on a 20 XPT if I were you, even trading in a used machine, it's not going to be anywhere near $10k difference, unless somebody is royally ripping you off.

But hey, if spending 3K on 7 psi on your 1K is your M.O. then have it! I'll glady watch along!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$1200 difference, that's what he's talking about, and you get a bit more than a reliable turbo setup and 58 hp for that $1200 too. Going to a Turbo S with dynamix is changing a bit more than just adding a turbo, which is where I assume you're getting the $10k figure from, apples to oranges. I'd trade/sell the 19 1K in on a 20 XPT if I were you, even trading in a used machine, it's not going to be anywhere near $10k difference, unless somebody is royally ripping you off.
View attachment 654171

But hey, if spending 3K on 7 psi on your 1K is your M.O. then have it! I'll glady watch along!
I see what you are saying. I was 18.5 out the door on my XP1000 but then I spent a considerable amount of money on accessories. Getting my wife on board is another thing LOL. After tires, roof, windshield, doors, everything i love about my XP. I would have to start over. I suppose I could look at trade-in value but unfortunately, the stock on RZR's in Utah is slim. I think there is actually a waiting list for all 4 seaters.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,200 Posts
Yup, everything you listed right there will swap right over to an XPT.

The stock thing should be starting to remedy itself soon, they were shipping again last I heard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most all of your accessories from the XP will go on the turbo.
I didnt even realize there was something in between a turbo s and an XP. The only difference i see in the XP engine vs Turbo engine is the term Turbo H.O. Any idea what this means?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,200 Posts
I didnt even realize there was something in between a turbo s and an XP. The only difference i see in the XP engine vs Turbo engine is the term Turbo H.O. Any idea what this means?
The original XPT came out a couple years before the S did, it's the same chassis as your 1K, it's the machine I have as well. It's the same engine & hp as the Turbo S, just in a 64" wide machine like your 1K. Aside from the engine and horsepower, you get a better trans with no reverse chain, better clutches, bigger front axles and diff, and better brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
There are tons of threads on XP vs XPT

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was hoping to see some input on turbo kits.

I ended up with a non turbo because they were out of turbos during the 2019-2020 transition. It does good for my use and is still a lot of fun. I do wish i had the turbo though.

Couple of points after reading this thread and the non vs turbo thread linked.

1. The $1200 comparison between non and turbo is apples to oranges. They are not equipped the same. The non turbo comes with more than the turbo compared. It's a good $3k for a turbo vs non.

2. In the link about turbos, some of the info in that thread isnt correct when talking about a 2019 and newer rzr.
For example, about the turbos suspension being better than a non turbo.
They have the same shocks and perform the same. If anything, my suspension feels better and handles better than my buddies turbo.

I'll think about a turbo kit later down the road.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,200 Posts
Couple of points after reading this thread and the non vs turbo thread linked.

1. The $1200 comparison between non and turbo is apples to oranges. They are not equipped the same. The non turbo comes with more than the turbo compared. It's a good $3k for a turbo vs non.

2. In the link about turbos, some of the info in that thread isnt correct when talking about a 2019 and newer rzr.
For example, about the turbos suspension being better than a non turbo.
They have the same shocks and perform the same. If anything, my suspension feels better and handles better than my buddies turbo.
1. What specifically is the $21,499 1K more equipped with than the $22,699 Turbo?

2. The suspension comparison initially mentioned in that link is between a 900 “S”, and an XPT...and there is a large difference there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It’s not my money, so do whatever you want, but I think you’re nuts to add a turbo kit to a year-old XP1K. Maybe if it was a ‘14 and you wanted to toy around with it, but there’s just no way it’s gonna be anyway near as reliable as a factory turbo.

I’m sure you're gonna get hosed trading in the ‘19 for a turbo, but I think you’ll still be way ahead of putting a turbo kit on your 1K.

I think you need to do way more research on this. I mean you didn’t even know there was a 64” factory turbo for $1200 more than your unit. That tells me you have waaaay more research to do.

I personally have no interest in owning anything with a turbo (except maybe a tractor), but if you want to go that route then factory turbo is the only way to go unless you’re very into wrenching and tuning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. What specifically is the $21,499 1K more equipped with than the $22,699 Turbo?

2. The suspension comparison initially mentioned in that link is between a 900 “S”, and an XPT...and there is a large difference there.
Okay, thanks for the explanation on suspension.. i thought they were all 1000's in the linked thread.

Just going off the pictures linked and not going to the site. Also going off my personal experience when I bought my 2019.

The non turbo has complete lower door kit ( which is near $1200 itself)

It has the led lighting kit which gives you the fang lights and center tail light.

It comes with ride command and mb quart audio system and wiring. Where the turbo has nothing. That is over a $2500 upgrade in itself.

I believe those are the key differences. so, typically the non turbo has more equipment but less turbo and is roughly $3000 less. If not more.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,200 Posts
Okay, thanks for the explanation on suspension.. i thought they were all 1000's in the linked thread.

Just going off the pictures linked and not going to the site. Also going off my personal experience when I bought my 2019.

The non turbo has complete lower door kit ( which is near $1200 itself)

It has the led lighting kit which gives you the fang lights and center tail light.

It comes with ride command and mb quart audio system and wiring. Where the turbo has nothing. That is over a $2500 upgrade in itself.

I believe those are the key differences. so, typically the non turbo has more equipment but less turbo and is roughly $3000 less. If not more.
Now go to the site and see what the differences are.... don’t take pictures placed above a “starting at” price as WYSIWYG gospel.

You can get all those bells and whistles in a higher package 1K (premium / LE), and those packages aren’t offered in the XPT anymore, but base for base, $1200 more for the XPT, no differences in equipment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts