Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a couple posts in the Abernathys thread mentioning Smudge Pots. I live in Kentucky and can't find these anywhere and mostly no one knows what the he'll I am talking about.

Any ideas where to find them? Thanks in advance!

JB

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
They were used mainly in Orchards to keep frost off the fruit when needed in northern states . If you google it you can find all you need
The old ones are the best a good average price is 100 ...make sure it comes with the wick to help keep it lit

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
There more of a west coast thing. Here in Texas it’s almost impossible to find, I just stumbled across the one that I have at an estate sale. I usually just run mine off of diesel but you can use diesel, kerosene, used motor oil, used vegetable oil, hydraulic oil, etc. they put off a lot of heat and hardly any smoke.

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Yep ...they even run good on old deep fryer oil ......super fun ...it's a must have item for sure!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`'ll check out EBay. I saw racers using them at KOH but don't recall seeing a Wick. They just poured used motor oil in, lit a paper towel, and chunked it in.

Jb

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I don’t have a wick in mine, you can light paper and throw it in but I typically just use a propane torch to light it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’ve got an older one I bought from smudgepot_usa on Instagram. He
Buys them from orchards and rebuilds/repairs them. We love it,no wick I usually just fill it with diesel and light it with a torch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
@185EZ ...Thats what I am talking about !!!...good one

And yes ...most all dont have the wick ...but if you do have it , you will understand how much better it runs and how much faster it ignites with a small propane torch . When you buy them some will have the wick rattling around in the bottom ..and most wont ....I have a few

·
Can't 'Member.
755 Posts
Have had one for years, great if for whatever reason you don't want a lot of smoke from a campfire. We had a family member with breathing issues and he always missed out of campfires. I started bringing the smudge and we had the heat without the smoke. I burn a 50/50 of off road diesel and used motor oil in it.
There were everywhere in the orchards of Ca. until they were banned by the morons at CARB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts