Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first time posting and I am looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2010 RZR with 300 miles. When it sits for awhile and then I start it up, it blows black smoke. I don't really notice it at idle but when I give it a shot of gas it blows out quite a bit. I talked to the dealer and he said not much they can do because it's fuel injected. That doesn't sit too well with me and I only have 1 month of warranty left. After I drive it the smoking stops. Anybody else experience this problem?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am not an engine expert but usually when its smoking it means the engine is burning oil which is not good. You may have gotten some dirt in there and this problem needs to be addressed immediately. If you are still under warranty I would have that thing to the dealer ASAP and be persistent about them checking it out and looking at it. The job will not be cheap but thats what warranties are for.
The dealer saying there is nothing they can do is complete bull shit. It doesn't matter if its FI or carberated.
Seems to me the dealer doesn't want to take the hit on fixing it or looking at it but like I said if its under warranty then it is their responsibility to fix it and you need to let them know that.
Don't wait.....

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
If its black smoke it's probably running a bit rich. As for why, most fuel injection systems have an enrichment cycle (if you want to call it that) that kicks in when the engine frst starts and needs the extra fuel to run well until the engine warms up. Yours may be putting in too much fuel during the warmup and you get black smoke. It also may smell really strongly of gasoline when it does this.
Mine does the same thing for about 45 -60 seconds after startup and it probably needs adjustment (tuning with a PC) which I can't do. Mine will also smell like a gas can when you back out of the garage when this is going on as well. Not saying its normal but you're not alone. The good news is, it's been doing it for 700 miles now and hasn't used a drop of oil between oil changes.
when I had the Fatboy punched and stroked with the new race tuner, it would burn your eyes in the mornings when it was first started. It was really bad and the mileage went from 42-44 down to 30 on the highway. I was thinking it was the big bore kit. Anyway, after a session on a dyno with someone who knew what he was doing, the fumes went away and I'm back to 44 mpg. So with the RZR, I figure I'm one good tune-up away from fixing that if it gets to bugging me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts