Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a enclosed trailer to tow my RZR-S. I will be towing with a VW Tiguan which has a US rating of 2200lbs in the US, but over 4000lbs everywhere else in the world so I'm fine to tow a little larger load but the lighter the better.

Can anyone recommend the smallest enclosed trailers that I can drive the RZR-S directly into? Makes/Models would be much appreciated. I am looking to purchase relatively soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You will need a minimum 6 x 10 with an oversized rear door.
I just about purchased a regular one (Nomal door) and by chance overheard someone mention that it may not fit through the door...They were right.
Anyway, if you go with a 6 wide, its a bitch getting out of the rzr after you pull it in....But if your flexible....you can do it...HAHA.

I puchased a 7 x 14 and its perfect, but it weighs about 1900 lbs without the RZR in, so it may be a bit heavy for you.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need a minimum 6 x 10 with an oversized rear door.
I just about purchased a regular one (Nomal door) and by chance overheard someone mention that it may not fit through the door...They were right.
Anyway, if you go with a 6 wide, its a bitch getting out of the rzr after you pull it in....But if your flexible....you can do it...HAHA.

I puchased a 7 x 14 and its perfect, but it weighs about 1900 lbs without the RZR in, so it may be a bit heavy for you.
Hope this helps.
What was the height that worked on the door/oversizes door for you to pull the rzr right up and in? Did you have a problem with the height or width on that regular sizes door? (Just wondering what the size differences of the regular vs oversizes door is)

So 1900lbs without plus another 1100 for the RZR, might still be okay at 3k or 3500lbs

The truck is rated at 2000-500KG (4400-5500lbs) but I'd rather not push it too far as I will be taking it up into the mountains so if I do go higher in the weight trailer brakes are a must.

Does anyone have any national makes/models that would work, or local (MD/DC/VA/NJ/PA area that you can recommend?)

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you have a RZR-S I would really consider at least a 7' X 10 or 12 with some 6" additional height. If its a standard built trailer without any add. height the cage want go underneath the door when going up the ramp into the trailer. I've read on here of people letting air out of the tires,strapping the suspension down with rachet straps etc. but do you really want to do all of that every time. Here's the thing I sale Enclosed Trailers and I have a 09 RZR LE and if tryed getting it in a 6x12 (standard) and the cage hits going up into the trailer.with that said look into a 7x10 or 12 with 6" additional height to stay Lite enough for you to pull and the weight should be no more than 1200# to 1250# because my 6x12 V-nose,ramp door only weighs 950#. Also your RZR is 60" wide so you have no room for ERA in a 6' wide trailer. It very tight but why not spend just a little more and go to a 7' wide. So maybe this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have a car mate 6 x 12 with standerd door height and a on 09 rzr le wish i had a 7 ft wide it would make getting in and out that much eaiser...and i have to take my roof off every time i haul no biggie its lock and ride and i also carry ramps you use to change oil in a car...pull the trailer up on ramps to get the ramp at a steep angle and goes in no problem with out hitting...there is one place in my yard with a nice slope i back wheels to slope then it will go in and out with roof on....wish i had the extra clearance though.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
instead of driving it in you could also install a small electric winch in the front of the trailer and winch it in. may be better than trying to get out once you are in the trailer

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm not trying to be the weight police, but I dont think your Tiguan is going to be happy towing that weight. I think "other parts of the world" get a diesel option, that was why their tow ratings are higher? You have the 2.0 Turbo correct (200hp)? With the 1 1/4" hitch, your going to be limited on tongue weight, I just don't think your going to be able to stay under the weight. You might be better off with an open trailer...... just my 2cents

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not trying to be the weight police, but I dont think your Tiguan is going to be happy towing that weight. I think "other parts of the world" get a diesel option, that was why their tow ratings are higher? You have the 2.0 Turbo correct (200hp)? With the 1 1/4" hitch, your going to be limited on tongue weight, I just don't think your going to be able to stay under the weight. You might be better off with an open trailer...... just my 2cents

x's 2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Diesel version of the Tiguan is rated at over 5500lbs, the 2.0T is rated at 4400lbs. No other differences other than the hitch.

I will have a brake box and the tow module (handles anti-sway, etc) installed as well as a 2" instead of the 1 1/4 that is part of the "Tow Package". I never had the tow package, I installed the module afterwards as well as the hitch.

In addition I have the 200HP 2.0T w/ the APR Software (higher hp/tq). I think 3100-3500lbs I would be fine. I seriously doubt I'll hit that weight - as I said before I would prefer the smaller the better I just want to be able to drive directly in.

If I can't find one that fits, I'll have to start considering a non-enclosed trailer however I really would like it to be enclosed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The door opening i got was the over size which is 78".
So here is what I would do if I had to work in the weight perimeters you do....Buy a 7x12 single axle with a 78" ramp door. (1,500 lbs+-)
The one I purchased was a Cargo Mate, and it seems to be a great trailer.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Wow IMO you need a different tow vehicle.. I think your pushing it. I've just got a plus 4 and my RZR is a very tight fit width wise in my 6x14. Even with a 6x10 thats going to be a load for your car.. Its not just the weight.. Its the wind resistance the trailer has going down the road. Weight wise you would probably be around 3000-3300# Man thats a load for a 200 HP 4 banger..JMO I've got a V6 250HP Nissan Murano and I would not want to pull a 6x10 with a rzr with it.. I pull our 6x14 with a 5.7L 381HP Tundra and I know its back there..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I can find a couple trailers both enclosed and non-enclosed that I can hook up to and see how it handles it. I know in europe they tow a ton of stuff with these Tiguans as well as regular cars for that matter. On some sites online I have seen them saying they tow 3500-4000lb pull behind campers and whatnot.

Hell, even the 2009 VW Jetta TDI (Which I have as well) is rated at 3300lbs tow. lol

I do have access to a 07 Banks Duramax when I need to tow long distances or in the mountains. I just preferred to have a enclosed trailer if possible. Would be great if I could test it first.

On the other side of things, can you guys recommend some specs on non-enclosed trailers that would work best? (Braked is better, I plan on purchasing a Prodigy P3)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow IMO you need a different tow vehicle..
This most defiantly.
X3 I would for sure wait for a bigger tow vehicle before buying the enclosed trailer. I nice utility trailer would work fine for now. Plus utility trailers are nice to have around for other things. I'm in the same spot myself. I pull a 6X12 drop deck with a Z71 Chevy 5.3L and know its back there. My next trailer will be a 25 foot toy hauler and I will have the correct vehicle to tow it with. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your Tiguan has that power you are fine for a small 6X10... I tow my RZR-S in a 6X12 usually with either my Duramax or my Yukon and my Yukon is only a 4.8L 280hp and it tows great... I don't even think it has 297tq either. You're not gonna win any races but you'll get it there.

BTW... I searched and can not find any Tiguan with those ratings unless with a reprogrammed ECU... also the tow ratings only show 2200lbs... this is for US versions.
Yeah I have it reprogrammed by APR, very factory like functionality. The European Tiguans are exactly the same (at least when you look at the 2.0T versions, not the TDI versions) chassis, etc wise. No oil coolers, etc.

US is rated at 2200LBS, European versions are roughly 4400 for the 2.0T w/ braked trailers.

I'll take a look around for some regular trailers now as well. So I guess like 6x10 utility trailer would do it for the RZR-S?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will say this....

You can build a go kart that "can" tow a heavy load. But if said go kart can not control that load what is the point.

Basically what you have is a car, and a car is not meant to tow (even if properly equipped) much more than a small load. (like a lawn mower or jetski.) Sure it can pull more but it can not control it if things go south. It is a safety thing.

We have all seen "that guy" pulling a travel trailer with a sedan on the road. Can it pull it? Yes. Can it pull it and control it safely? No.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will say this....

You can build a go kart that "can" tow a heavy load. But if said go kart can not control that load what is the point.

Basically what you have is a car, and a car is not meant to tow (even if properly equipped) much more than a small load. (like a lawn mower or jetski.) Sure it can pull more but it can not control it if things go south. It is a safety thing.

We have all seen "that guy" pulling a travel trailer with a sedan on the road. Can it pull it? Yes. Can it pull it and control it safely? No.
Are you saying it would not even be safe to tow a open trailer with the Tiguan? I would be below even the US "rating" of 2200lbs. In Europe they don't just "pull" these trailers, they tow them thousands upon thousands of miles every year. Same goes for the US, at least smaller trailers, boats, atv's, etc.

Both the Jetta and the Tiguan have tow ratings, of course they aren't a Duramax or something but they do safely tow a couple thousand pounds easy and very controllably. The tow module has anti-sway and a bunch of other features tied in with the ESP.

Yeah it would be nice to go drop another 30-50k for a Duramax but it's just not economical for the amount of towing I plan on doing (just pulling the RZR to a couple places).

When we travel to Hatfield McCoy we take a 28' enclosed v-nose that my brother pulls with his Duramax but locally I would like to avoid borrowing that just to goto the local playing fields. If that means I go with a open trailer, so be it - I just can't see a open trailer being too much to safely tow/control.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts