Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why Polaris would do this but they did. The rear axle is a smaller diameter than the 09 and 10. Looking on the polaris parts lookup the same new setup is used on all 2011 S and the 2011-4 also and the inner and outer cv's are also a different part number. Anybody have a insight into why they changed to a weaker looking design?

·
Registered
227 Posts
16% better fuel mpg. Maybe this was part of the gas savings? Lighter cheaper parts means better mpg?? LOL. just kidding I have no idea!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe a stronger material so a smaller diameter will do? I know I had to drill a hole in an 08 axle and it was as soft as butter, I couldn't belive how easy it drilled.

Vince

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Yeah, they could have used a stronger material so they could reduce the diameter and save a pound or two.:popcorn:

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Shhh Johnny, they used that super secret alloy.....:rofl3:

·
Registered
221 Posts
If its a different diameter, Polaris respec'd/redesigned it. Vendors need to follow manufacturer's design specs. Hopefully stronger. Hope it holds up with a potentially larger mid year engine design.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Gunny, you should know already. They made them smaller so they will break and you will have to buy a new one.....................LOL

Scott is trying to make Polaris more money on selling parts to pay back GE Capitol for the money they borrowed to build a plant in mexico.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i dont buy that cause they would just end up replacing a lot of them under warranty. I gotta think if they change something like this it must be for added reliabilty rather than less. There is a problem since the 09 S came out with rear axles popping out so maybe this new setup was to address that.

J

·
0 Posts
Not sure why Polaris would do this but they did. The rear axle is a smaller diameter than the 09 and 10. Looking on the polaris parts lookup the same new setup is used on all 2011 S and the 2011-4 also and the inner and outer cv's are also a different part number. Anybody have a insight into why they changed to a weaker looking design?
Its been my experience to break the cv joints way more often than the axle. The cv joint is a lot more weaker than the axle. The only thing I can think of that would make sense to me is that if you make the axle smaller, then you could put more steal into the cv joints and make the joint stronger. So in other words, balance out the strength of the two components, by give and take, to achieve an overall stronger assembly. ---just a thought???

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Maybe they done it so the axle shaft will break before the CV lol

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
They may "look" weaker, but it doesn't mean they are. In fact, a lot of the "oversize" axles you see out there are actually weaker than the stock design. People often mistake "bigger" for "stronger" but in reality, a "good design" with good material can out perform "more material" on most occasions. It will be interesting to see what develops with this new design.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did not make sense to me is the axle itself is the same .875 diameter as 09 and 10 axles from the cv's out to about 1/16'' past where the cv boot clamp is then it tapers down to about .750 from there to the inner cv boot and goes back to .875.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts