Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 xp1k. Had this happen three or four times so far .While driving along the shift lever moves out of high and stops between high and low resulting in the machine just coasting like it's in neutral but the throttle is not responsive.
Once I put it back into high everything works with no problems.
I would like to know if this is just another quirky Polaris thing or if it is a symptom of a greater problem. Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
make sure the shift lever is not resting on anything when you have it in HI range. I have seen this before and it was a twisted shift drum in the tranny. Tranny has to be removed and replace the shift drum. Fixed it both times.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have seen a shifter cable cause this on my old 800. It was worn from use and needed replacement, but the first symptoms were it would slip out of gear when in low range and go between low and high. Eventually it failed completely. Sometimes it was pretty scary when it happened at the least opportune moment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this happen on my 14. Put into high go hard down the trail and it would slip out of high and go into a false neutral between high and low. I disconnected the cable and manually put into high and it stayed in high with no issues. As it turned out it was the cable that had to be properly adjusted. But like Todd (HawkEng) has mentioned it could be the drum.

Hope its the easy fit for you good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 17 TRE and it has occasionally done this since it was new. I have about 2500 miles on the machine with no other transmission problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 17 TRE and it has occasionally done this since it was new. I have about 2500 miles on the machine with no other transmission problems.
Has happened once and it was right after I crossed a log, the landing must have jarred it just enough to hit false neutral. I thought the belt broke but was between H&L.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
2018 xp1k. Had this happen three or four times so far .While driving along the shift lever moves out of high and stops between high and low resulting in the machine just coasting like it's in neutral but the throttle is not responsive.
I would like to know if this is just another quirky Polaris thing or if it is a symptom of a greater problem. Thanks in advance
My 17 has done this since new only during bumpy down hill in high gear off throttle (no load on engine). Low gear is no issue up or down hill at any speed. I have searched looking for answers some say possible bent fork others have seen a missing washer left out of the trans during assembly. Me and a couple friends purchased 3 of the same 17 1kxps same day mine is the only one out of the 3 that has this issue.

I just learned to deal with it and keep pressure on the shifter during down hills in high seems to work it.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
My 17 has done this since new only during bumpy down hill in high gear off throttle (no load on engine). Low gear is no issue up or down hill at any speed. I have searched looking for answers some say possible bent fork others have seen a missing washer left out of the trans during assembly. Me and a couple friends purchased 3 of the same 17 1kxps same day mine is the only one out of the 3 that has this issue.

I just learned to deal with it and keep pressure on the shifter during down hills in high seems to work it.
You need to adjust the shifter linkage at the trans, it's not fully engages in H gear. Adjust it 2-3 turn so it pulls the lever towards the front.

·
craigstumph
10,860 Posts
Joe is correct, the shifter is probably out of adjustment. The dealer could adjust it or you could do it yourself. I personally use aftermarket shifters on my machines. They shift much nicer. I have Venom, Trail Control, and NRP in stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts