Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just bought a 2009 50" RZR. Do they all come with a plastic skid plate or was this added? I just changed the oil and did not realize that I dropped the brass washer that was on the oil drain plug (until I went to dump my old oil). Do you think I need to put the brass ring back on? I suppose I could collect the oil and re-use or just buy 2 more quarts (dang that polaris oil is expensive). Speaking of oil, is anyone using any other synthetic oil? The guy I bought it from said he had the polaris dealership change oil this spring but I found that it had just under 1 quart of oil in it! Also my Polaris dealership sold me 5w-50 and the owners manual says to use 0w-40. Thanks in advance for all your help/suggestions!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok I just bought a 2009 50" RZR. Do they all come with a plastic skid plate or was this added? I just changed the oil and did not realize that I dropped the brass washer that was on the oil drain plug (until I went to dump my old oil). Do you think I need to put the brass ring back on? I suppose I could collect the oil and re-use or just buy 2 more quarts (dang that polaris oil is expensive). Speaking of oil, is anyone using any other synthetic oil? The guy I bought it from said he had the polaris dealership change oil this spring but I found that it had just under 1 quart of oil in it! Also my Polaris dealership sold me 5w-50 and the owners manual says to use 0w-40. Thanks in advance for all your help/suggestions!
I forgot the drain plug washer once on my truck after changing the oil.I would not worry about it.Just check and make sure it is not leaking every once in awhile and at the next oil change put it back on.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I lost the copper washer on the first change almost 3 years ago. I just bought another washer. $2.79!! For a freaking copper washer. I will install it on the next oil change. As for the plastic skid, yes, that cheese-o-phonic excuse of a skid plate came from the factory. I installed a FUTV UHMW heavy duty skid system about 2 years ago. Wow, what a difference when it comes to puckering over big rocks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow quick replies, thanks guys! Is anyone using any other oil other than the polaris brand and do I need to worry about the oil weight that the dealership sold me (5w-50)?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Yes, use Mobil 1 Synthetic 0 W 40. It works perfect. No issues after 4300 miles. I do however use Polaris brand oils for the gear cases. Angle drive for the rear "diff" is 2876160. Transmission and Transfer Case use the same purple oil, 2878068. I can't remember the part number for the front fluid, but it is Demand Drive Fluid.
Don't worry about the washer unless it leaks. Just reinstall it next time you change the oil. And DO NOT over tighten your drain plug!!

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts

I don't know how to highlight in your quote, but I draw your attention to the sentence that states "" Found it had just under 1 quart in it". This needs some attention, should not be under a quart of oil. You might want to investigate this!! If you do not have any warranty, then use a good oil other than Polaris. By the sounds of being under a quart, you might want to use something other than the High Dollar Polaris stuff. I reiterate, you need to find why your Rig was under a quart.

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Its a crush washer so you dont overtighten the plug in the block. If it were me, I would put it back in. Its there for a reason.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Bow Hunt, be aware that engines using synthetic oils typically do not emit smoke if they are burning oil. I have seen guys with worn piston rings run the engine nearly dry, because they never saw it smoking. The total capacity with filter change is 2 quarts. Keep a very close eye on the level every 200 miles or so. It may just be a case of the last guy not putting enough oil in after the last change, but it could also be using oil, so don't take a chance, because it is very costly to repair after a low oil incident!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts