Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like OHVs will be at least allowed for this summer in town after a referendum halted the decision until a town vote this fall. If anyone is headed out there, support businesses (who were a big part of saving the summer for OHVs) and take it easy in town.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Should be a lesson for all the other cites we are currently allowed to ride in. Havasu, Moab, etc, etc

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Let's just hope the dipsh*** don't screw it up for the rest of us and give the voters (or petitioners) any ammunition to vote against allowing OHVs. Turn off the stereos. Turn off the whip/rock lights. Go easy on the gas. And, be courteous.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think that is the biggest thing people don't understand or consider. The noise carries a lot farther than people think. The exhaust and stereos can be heard for a long way. Truth of the matter is, we are guests, treat the town and it's people with respect. I know I would be beyond pissed if some knuckleheads were cruising down my street with the stereos thumping and racing from stop sign to stop sign. Yes the OHV crowd spends a lot of money in these towns but I am sure they will recover with the $$ from the Jeep/Overland crowd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think that is the biggest thing people don't understand or consider. The noise carries a lot farther than people think. The exhaust and stereos can be heard for a long way. Truth of the matter is, we are guests, treat the town and it's people with respect. I know I would be beyond pissed if some knuckleheads were cruising down my street with the stereos thumping and racing from stop sign to stop sign. Yes the OHV crowd spends a lot of money in these towns but I am sure they will recover with the $$ from the Jeep/Overland crowd.
While I don't disagree with anything you've said, the same brush can easily be applied to loud Harley's with big speakers.... And there is a heck of a lot more of them with little protest from civic groups. Us UTV owners get singled out because we are a much smaller minority, even though the vehicle we are using has seat belts and roll cages.... I agree.... keep your street driving responsible and we won't have these issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
While I don't disagree with anything you've said, the same brush can easily be applied to loud Harley's with big speakers.... And there is a heck of a lot more of them with little protest from civic groups. Us UTV owners get singled out because we are a much smaller minority, even though the vehicle we are using has seat belts and roll cages.... I agree.... keep your street driving responsible and we won't have these issues.
I would agree on the other traffic being just as big of problem if not more.. When I was in Moab in early May it wasn't the SxS's making all the noise. they were very careful about it from what I saw. While walking downtown our last day, Saturday morning, the noise was from the lifted bro-dozers, semis and Harley riders. I saw a Moab PD car one time the entire week we were there. The Harley riders were by far the worst offenders on the noise.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree.... keep your street driving responsible and we won't have these issues.
It's not the noise, it's not the irresponsible, those are just easy excuses.

ATV, SxS, dirtbikes, etc. are always going to have these issues until the other side gets them regulated out of existence.

I agree though, we should do our best to not give them ammunition for the easy excuses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not the noise, it's not the irresponsible, those are just easy excuses.

ATV, SxS, dirtbikes, etc. are always going to have these issues until the other side gets them regulated out of existence.

I agree though, we should do our best to not give them ammunition for the easy excuses.
We all know that the environmentalists have put targets on our backs. It's a Sierra Club wet dream to put us out of our misery and ban us from crown/national forest lands..... The best we can do is join our local OHV clubs who fight for our right to ride.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
We've been going to Silverton for many years and stay for a month or two. The noise is a very small part of it. The residents (especially the newer ones from CA) have all told me they just want a sleep colorado mountain town. The residents don't like the street congestion. The residents (not the business owners) would rather tourist all go away. The residents just want a quiet easy going town. The RR operated for many decades (since 1881) and the townspeople were okay with that because it was business, but when it was turned into a tourist transport and the recent level of tourist started pouring in even then some residents wanted it gone. Many people who live there are retired and don't need the extra income like the businesses do.
I'll be there the whole month of Aug. this year.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That has been all over the news out here with the Mayor of Silverton banning the Pledge.

This is the same Mayor who voted to ban OHV's from town.

Big surprise. . . . . . NOT!!!! Shane is another east coast lefty progressive who moved to Colorado and wants to turn my state into the same crap hole he moved from.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That has been all over the news out here with the Mayor of Silverton banning the Pledge.

This is the same Mayor who voted to ban OHV's from town.

Big surprise. . . . . . NOT!!!! Shane is another east coast lefty progressive who moved to Colorado and wants to turn my state into the same crap hole he moved from.
You know, the funny thing is, thats all people keep saying. "All these people moving in trying to turn things like other places". Obviously he got elected by the people there, so a majority has to feel or have somewhat the same views as him? There a majority that has the vote these people in, and that's where it starts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yup. He got voted in by the people of Silverton.

I also have a feeling if he had said while running for office what his views actually are, it might have been different.

I'd be willing to bet he never once mentioned what his real agenda is. If he had said while running for office he would like to shut down a major source of income for the Town of Silverton since it depends on tourism, he might not have been elected.

I'd also bet if he came out and said he would like to ban the Pledge at Council meetings, he also might not have been elected.

Watch the video. . . the local citizens of Silverton basically said "FU!!" to his ban on the pledge and said it anyhow.

I have had my reservations made for Silverton once again this year but was not going to spend a single cent in the town. That changed with the reverse decision and we will be going into town to visit the museum, eat at the local restaurants and shop at the stores. I will be thanking every business owner and driving like I always have through Silverton. Like a respectable person who does not want to see the place shut down.

I can understand the frustration of the residents of Silverton with people acting like idiots. Work with the major manufacturers (Polaris, CanAm, Honda, etc) work with groups (Stay the Trail, etc) educate people, pass the word advise other drivers, fix the problem. Heck, put up signs, , , , "Don't drive like an asshole,we live here"

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts