Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi,
I was thinking to get a plate but am confused by these two apparently conflicting quotes:
...once you reach the bottom of Black Bear you have to be street legal to go through town...
...You will get a ticket if you are caught on Hwy 149 beyond the limits of the pilot program, even if you are licensed in another state...
Is this a matter of speed limits or something else? One is okay in Ouray with a plate because of a low speed limit but not okay on Hwy 149 because the speed limit there is above 45 mph?
So much to learn!
Thanks,
Jay
No OHVs are allowed in Ouray or State Highways:

https://www.ouraycolorado.com/things-to-do/4x4/ohv-tips

In Silverton OHVs are allowed on certain streets:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/townofsilverton/ohv-atv-info

You can ride on any street in Lake City and the portion of Hwy 149 required to complete the Alpine Loop:

https://elevatelakecity.com/2019/07/03/ohv-rules-have-changed/

There was a recent court ruling which found it is illegal to operate an OHV on CO Highways even if you are licensed in another state. That ruling overturned a court ruling back in 2007 which said it was ok, if you were licensed in another state.

Bottom line the rules have changed, and they are enforcing the new rules at least in Lake City. The pilot program on Hwy 149 through Lake City is the only exception that I know of.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hinsdale County workers got County Road 30 up to Cinnamon Pass open yesterday 8/10/19 after massive mudslides closed it for a week. The County says there may be some delays while they upgrade culverts starting tomorrow.

As for completing the Alpine Loop through Lake City on Hwy 149. There is a State pilot program that allows OHVs on Hwy 149 between 2nd Street in Lake City to County Road 30 which means you can run the Alpine Loop through Lake City. You will get a ticket if you are caught on Hwy 149 beyond the limits of the pilot program, even if you are licensed in another state.

Here are the OHV regulations for Lake City:

https://www.lakecity.com/plan-your-colorado-trip/ohv-regulations

There was a special election on July 23, 2019 to decide if OHVs could operate on other town streets in Lake City. It was a bitter battle fought to ban OHVs by folks who think they have ruined the charm of Lake City with the noise and dust. Thankfully they lost the election, and OHVs are still allowed; however the sheriff and state patrol are enforcing the regulations much more strictly now. So please watch your speed, stay on the roads in the high country, and be courteous to others on the road.

Great info. Thanks!

What kind of daytime temps can I expect to see at the high mountain passes in the end of Sept? The wife and I will be out there the end of Sept into early Oct this year and am working on what clothing to pack. I've spent time backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness in mid Oct so am assuming it should be similar but hiking vs riding is a lot different in what kind of clothes you need!
It usually snows in Lake City around October 1st. Around 60 in Lake City for the high and 32 at night, and much cooler on the passes, but this year who knows???

·
Registered
7 Posts
The loop is still doable on a SxS (we did it about 3 weeks ago). As others have stated, CO 149 is legal from the cutoff to Lake San Cristobel up into the middle (2nd St I think) of Lake City. The side streets around CO 149 are legal. You can get to the gas stations and restaurants in Lake City with no problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We're leaving Saturday for st Anthony dunes for couple days then headed to lake city and after that heading to taylor park Colorado. Anywhere else we should go along that route? We are coming from Washington. Pretty excited should be a fun trip with lots of riding.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
We're leaving Saturday for st Anthony dunes for couple days then headed to lake city and after that heading to taylor park Colorado. Anywhere else we should go along that route? We are coming from Washington. Pretty excited should be a fun trip with lots of riding.
From St Anthony, travel south into Utah. Paiute Trail, Arapeen Trail, Sand Hollow and Moab, although Moab is hot this time of year. Many others. Then east on 70 into CO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Just a couple more days and we are heading to Silverton!! The RZR is checked out and loaded up!!!!

·
Vendor
2,316 Posts
I saw a group from the FJ Summit go through Black Bear this week so they must have gotten it open.

I was trying to run Black Bear a few years ago and it was closed at the summit as well. Two years ago it just got cleared when we went through but it was a muddy mess at one spot Just past the summit. Here is a photo from my drivers seat. Needed to stay steady on the gas.

Black Bear would be a blast in a side by side if you could trailer over to Imogene Pass trail.

The scenery is unmatched.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just finished 5 days of riding here. We probably hit about 80% of what can be ridden out of Silverton. Some we had passed up and never got back to. Unfortunately Poughkeepsie Gulch is still closed. The avalanche damage here is incredible. Hats off to all personnel that worked to get the trails opened up this year.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I saw a group from the FJ Summit go through Black Bear this week so they must have gotten it open.

I was trying to run Black Bear a few years ago and it was closed at the summit as well. Two years ago it just got cleared when we went through but it was a muddy mess at one spot Just past the summit. Here is a photo from my drivers seat. Needed to stay steady on the gas.

Black Bear would be a blast in a side by side if you could trailer over to Imogene Pass trail.

The scenery is unmatched.

Thanks for the pic's, that looks like a lot of fun!!!

Yep, we were hoping a local would step up and offer to trailer us over to Imogene for a few bucks. No luck so far. Maybe the county will cut a path some day to connect.

Is Black Bear one way all the way or just from above the steps?

We are already planning to take the Jeeps next year (2020) just so we can check Black Bear and a few others West of 550 off the bucket list.

We may try to trailer up 550 to Imogene and just run it out and then back to the trailers.

Thanks for the update/Info!!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Just finished 5 days of riding here. We probably hit about 80% of what can be ridden out of Silverton. Some we had passed up and never got back to. Unfortunately Poughkeepsie Gulch is still closed. The avalanche damage here is incredible. Hats off to all personnel that worked to get the trails opened up this year.
Dang, we were hoping to do Poughkeepsie Gulch.

Thanks for the update!!!

·
Vendor
2,316 Posts
Black Bear is one of the coolest trails as you look down into the town of Telluride where the trail narrows just above the waterfalls. I was there a few years ago and the trail was closed at the top of the Summit because of snow so it does happen. It's a fun trail but you need to pay attention. Beautiful scenery.

It would be cool if there was a connecting trail to Imogene. That's another awesome trail.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Too much fun up here!! Not too crowded and everything East of 550 is open except Poughkeepsie.
Whoo Hooo!!!

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,094 Posts
Happy Labor Day weekend from Lake City! Definitely prime time to ride up this way!

IMG_8958.jpg IMG_8948.jpg

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Last day here for us. Ran East towards Kite Lake then Rio Grande lake and then on to Highway 149. Just over 80 miles round trip.

Interesting on the trail. Everyone was polite. Most knew the hand signals. A few looked very confused about the hand signals.

Silverton is packed right now. 4:30pm. Wall to wall cars n people.

Bears in the trashcans at night at the motel.

I will post some pics when I get. Back to my laptop.

Poughkeepsie is still closed as of today. 08/31/19.

Thanks everyone for your help and input. It made our trip EPIC!!!!

81 - 100 of 111 Posts