Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stay on the marked routes in Silverton, don't drive your rzr across 550 for fuel, layer up on clothing, be sure to have rain gear, bring extra water, if the ladies are along spend a day in Silverton playing tourist., It's a cool little mountain town. It's a truly amazing place to ride but be cautious on the shelf trails. Have fun!
Dwight

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We are here in Silverton. It’s 46F today and 27F tonight. Rain and frozen rain all day and maybe snow this evening. Snow going up to Animas Forks is 100’ deep from a slide. May not even open this summer. Too much snow and no place to put it and all the rocks, trees and debris. They are trying to get other passes open, but no luck so far. Maybe in a couple weeks. Many more rides in the area blocked from snow. You can ride on some of the lower trails, but because other areas are blocked these trails will be crowded. You’ll be washing lots of mud off to.
Not a good year to ride here.

I’ll do some riding and try to get better area info from real time rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roger ….we were there two weeks ago, for a week...…..we left a couple days early and went down to Farmington to Glade Run Recreation Area and Chokecherry Canyon...…...Just an idea if you run out of open trail options in Silverton/Ouray area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When we were there two weeks ago, we were checked by BLM(Scot Jackson....great guy, has been in Silverton with BLM since 1970) for UTV permits, no helmets required, or spark arrestor check. I have been doing the Silverton, Alpine Loop, Ouray since 1978 in many types of off road vehicles......Now XP 1000. have never had to carry extra fuel. Looking forward to your updates when you go. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
First week of summer in Colorado and its cold & raining in the metro area. Our fireplace is actually running right now in the living room. Predicting snow in the mountains this weekend.

WOW! What a year for snow in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
Northern Utah trails are mostly still closed, but central (Paiute) is mostly open, Moab and Sand Hollow are open. West desert trails are open.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Man I sure hope things start looking up for our trip in 2 weeks.

On a side note, I was planning on taking my Wolverine X4 for the extra room and reliability factor over my RZR... but am starting to wonder if I should take the RZR now since it has 32" intimidators, and a turbo vs the 28" carnivores and 69HP of the yamaha.... are the trails going to be that bad or will the X4 handle them fine?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Man I sure hope things start looking up for our trip in 2 weeks.

On a side note, I was planning on taking my Wolverine X4 for the extra room and reliability factor over my RZR... but am starting to wonder if I should take the RZR now since it has 32" intimidators, and a turbo vs the 28" carnivores and 69HP of the yamaha.... are the trails going to be that bad or will the X4 handle them fine?

Probably need to take your sled, if you wanna go on the high trails!! LOL
:)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
We are here in Silverton. It’s 46F today and 27F tonight. Rain and frozen rain all day and maybe snow this evening. Snow going up to Animas Forks is 100’ deep from a slide. May not even open this summer. Too much snow and no place to put it and all the rocks, trees and debris. They are trying to get other passes open, but no luck so far. Maybe in a couple weeks. Many more rides in the area blocked from snow. You can ride on some of the lower trails, but because other areas are blocked these trails will be crowded. You’ll be washing lots of mud off to.
Not a good year to ride here.

I’ll do some riding and try to get better area info from real time rides.
Great update!!!!

Any pic's you could post (or anyone else up there) would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Thank you sir!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Went up Animas today. Interesting to see the heavy runoff and the devastation, but sucks not to be able to ride very far. From what I saw doubt it opens until mid-late July assuming the weather turns warmer. We had 24 degrees and snow last night. Went up Eureka until the avalanche debris to have lunch, and then went to check out Cunningham. That valley is full of snow and no go - probably for a long time. There is some poor guys house near the mine that has been exploded by an avalanche. Worth a look. Stoney pass entrance is open and we heard clear to the top. We will hit that later this week. Tomorrow is Hurricane which we hear is open to the top but not much further. Food and shopping in Silverton is still good distraction from the lack of riding options. Will update later.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Went up Animas today. Interesting to see the heavy runoff and the devastation, but sucks not to be able to ride very far. From what I saw doubt it opens until mid-late July assuming the weather turns warmer. We had 24 degrees and snow last night. Went up Eureka until the avalanche debris to have lunch, and then went to check out Cunningham. That valley is full of snow and no go - probably for a long time. There is some poor guys house near the mine that has been exploded by an avalanche. Worth a look. Stoney pass entrance is open and we heard clear to the top. We will hit that later this week. Tomorrow is Hurricane which we hear is open to the top but not much further. Food and shopping in Silverton is still good distraction from the lack of riding options. Will update later.
So are there trails open to where you can ride from Silverton to Lake City? We are staying in Lake city but wanted to ride to Silverton too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
More bad news. There are trails that don’t have snow blockage, but have rock slides and tree debris that make them impassible. Like Mini Gulch. Big shale rock slide right on the road.
They are still working on getting a pass or two open to or from Lake City, but that hasn’t happened yet.
The other problem now is since many trails aren’t opened then the masses all go to a couple of trails and things get congested. Not a great year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No connection from Silverton to Lake City and vice-versa. Rode Hurricane pass today and when we got to the top which was a ride like I have never done in many years coming to Silverton. It was like a new trail I’ve never ridden here with massive snow banks on both sides of the rig. Your basically riding through a cut in the avalanche. The best news is when we got to the top they have now plowed from Hurricane, past the entrance to Paughkipsie(sp?) and all the way to the top of California pass. The bull dozer is working it’s way down California pass on the Animas side but hasn’t made it very far. That ride from Hurricane to California hasn’t only been opened in the last few days - and was by far one of the top 3 things I’ve ever done in the San Juan Mountains. When we came back down Hurricane, we passed some quads coming off corkscrew. He said it’s open to the top and even better than California. We shall see.
Tomorrow - Stony Pass
Wednesday - Corkscrew
Thursday ?
Friday - Yankee Boy on the way home through Ouray

·
Registered
681 Posts
We were in Silverton last year in mid-July, and will be in Creede next week. I was hoping to make a round trip on the Alpine Loop again but it doesn't sound like we'll be able to do that. I'll ride as much as we are able to but we will ride all the Creede area and may venture more southeast toward South Fork. Not to de-rail from the OP, but has anyone ridden around Creede or South Fork?

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
how do plow drivers know where the trail is?
Usually markers on side, reflectors on tall flex poles.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 60 of 111 Posts