Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who use the wheel net/tire bonnet/lasso setups. Do you see any issues with the versions that side mount versus the ones that mount in front and back of tire?

I have a set of side mount wheel nets I used when hauling cars around on a flatbed. I would guess since they can hold a 3000 lb car in place, they would hold a RZR. But, I figured I would ask the masses to see if there were any issues (based on practical experience and not assumptions) that I had not considered.

d1

·
Registered
183 Posts
You have me interested. As I didn't know side mount wheel bonnets existed. I was thinking about going with a wheel style strap system but would have to make some mods to my trailer. I only use it for my RZR and 4 wheeler a couple times a year so I didn't want to add E Track or anything like that. If I could get tire bonnets that strap to the side of my trailer I might be interested. Off to Google for the next hour, lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was looking at something almost identical to that today on Amazon. The ones I saw only had about 20 reviews but they were all pretty positive. Most people were using them for full size vehicles so I am assuming they would hold my 570 without any issues. I did send the manufacturer and email just asking if the smaller size tires of the RZR would be an issue, I don't figure it would but you never know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nearly
I am curious, since I have a pretty small trailer that is not much wider than my 570, do you see that being an issue? I didn't know since I won't have much slack to work with, any thoughts would be great...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nearly
I am curious, since I have a pretty small trailer that is not much wider than my 570, do you see that being an issue? I didn't know since I won't have much slack to work with, any thoughts would be great...
I don't think the width is an issue. If you have a place to tie down directly beside the tire or just a bit to the front or back. The key is that you want to make a sling that tightens as you ratchet it down. I pull the front ones forward and the rear backwards, but I guess you could do just the opposite. My trailer is an open bed. I probably have 1500-2000 road miles on this rig and it has never came loose or anything. You would have to lose two on the same end before it would become an issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was looking at something almost identical to that today on Amazon. The ones I saw only had about 20 reviews but they were all pretty positive. Most people were using them for full size vehicles so I am assuming they would hold my 570 without any issues. I did send the manufacturer and email just asking if the smaller size tires of the RZR would be an issue, I don't figure it would but you never know.
The way this set is made, you could use on a lawnmower tire. It is just a 2" strap and metal ring that makes a sling.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes that is a nice trailer! With that rail around it to give extra suport, you could just use the 4 stake pockets and it would not go anywhere. I had to take the bolt out of the hook end and rotate 180 degrees to go down through the pockets to hook correctly inside and have the handle on the outside. I guess someone put them on backwards. I don't like the strap hooks on the outside incase of accident. Just my opinion... Maybe there is a better way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm assuming there are no issues with the pressure the tie downs causing pulling outward on the wheel and tire?
The bonnets I have let the buckles slide as needed allowing me to position them on the outside of the tire to reduce the sideways pressure. I was worried at first about outward lateral pressure, but found that they are pulling more downward. Also, I figure if these cars' design can't take a little side pressure from a strap then they shouldn't be doing the rigorous things that we are putting them through.

If you are still concerned you can always mount the E-track directly in line with the wheels which would eliminate side pressure altogether.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If this trailer was only used for my RZR I would go E track. I have this and a 4 wheeler but 99% of the time the trailer is used for other stuff and the E track might cause more of a problem since I only have the vehicles on it once a year or so.

On I side not I was initially looking at these, I am sure they are not much different that the ones linked above but I had emailed the company and they said they are not designed to be used on a wheel smaller than 14 inches. I'm guessing there is no difference really in the design.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If this trailer was only used for my RZR I would go E track. I have this and a 4 wheeler but 99% of the time the trailer is used for other stuff and the E track might cause more of a problem since I only have the vehicles on it once a year or so.

On I side not I was initially looking at these, I am sure they are not much different that the ones linked above but I had emailed the company and they said they are not designed to be used on a wheel smaller than 14 inches. I'm guessing there is no difference really in the design.

Those look the same or very similar to what I am using. I think they would work fine for your RZR.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I also use my flatbed trailer for hauling other things and have found that the e-track comes in handy for securing everything. I use this type set up e-track o-ring for versatility.
Just presenting my experience for others to examine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm assuming there are no issues with the pressure the tie downs causing pulling outward on the wheel and tire?
imo you will put more load/force driving through trails and such, than you ever could strapping it down.
jm2c

·
Registered
98 Posts

Those are the same as mine, only with different hooks. I pull my wheels forward and sideways, and backward and sideways, to the corners of the trailer... work great!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts