Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a SATV LT kit on it's way. I figured I would do the tear down and be ready to install when it gets here on Friday. Everything came off clean. The problem I am having is getting the clamp off the CV boot.:wall:
Are there special tools or just good technique? I don't want to break the little tabs off. Should I just replace the clamps? I didn't think I had too. Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. Haven't got to the CV part yet but if the clamps are giving you problems just clip them off. They can't be that expensive for new one and can be found pretty much anywhere. But if they are the ones with little tabs you have to tighten it until it clears and then pull away, but if it is tightened super tight you will probrably have to cut them. (CAREFULLY)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The clamps are a one use item. You can take the boot to Carquest, Napa, etc to buy a new one. You will need a cheap tightening tool to install. By the way it is a messy job with the grease, be prepared
John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw some guy in a video that looked like he was able to pop them on and off with a pair of pliars. I tried but couldn't get it. I may end up cutting them of. I have a box of latex gloves on the bench for just such an emergency. That raises another question. Do I completely disassemble the CV joint, clean and repack with grease?

The clamps are a one use item. You can take the boot to Carquest, Napa, etc to buy a new one. You will need a cheap tightening tool to install. By the way it is a messy job with the grease, be prepared
John

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I think from what you are doing is replacing the axles with longer ones, if this is the case you will need to disassemble the CV's. While you are there @ the store get a packet of new grease, these CV's take a real beating, remember that the two clamps on each CV are different sizes and be careful on reassembly to get all the boots in order, don't ask me why,
John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why?:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not saying to get em' on amazon.....I seen em on a specialty tool website for $17.00 but this is something you would need for removal and putting the cv's back on. Like someone else said....if you are getting LT it should come w/it all setup.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of auto parts stores have a tool rental or will allow you to "borrow" a special tool if you buy the parts there. I will look into that tomorrow. I went back and forth on complete axles or axle shafts. I thought to myself "self, how hard can it be?" Well I saved enough to get Makin Trax Progressive springs...if Steve gets them in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts