Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting in this forum but have been doing a lot of reading within the forum and have found a lot of useful information that i much appericate.

With that being said my wife and me are looking at purchasing our first rzr, we have been riding quads and dirt bikes for years all over the northwest mainly sticking to sand dunes, Moses Lake and juniper mostly. But feel it is time for us to make the switch over to a rzr. Not only for us but the kids as well they are finally getting old enough to enjoy this sport and we feel like a rzr is the perfect opportunity to get the kids involved.

We are currently looking at a 2012 900xp with 1800 miles, street legal kit on it, pro armor doors, metal roof, windshield and brand new tires and bead lock wheels amoung other little things for 13k. Machine looks and sounds amazing, looks like it has been babied its entire life. So my question to you experts out there is this the right time to be looking at buying a used rzr, and financing said rzr at that?

The money isn't necessarily our hangup it's just the market right now and the way things are looking for the future. This is something both me and my wife agree would be good for the family and benefit us in making memories with the kids like we both had growing up. As we have been getting closer to actually purchasing said machine we have begun to question if this is the right time to buy a machine or just wait out the storm and get one than. But as many people have said your kids are only this you once.

Thanks for any insight you guys might give in advance.

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
289 Posts
Welcome! It’s a tough choice for sure. I was in your spot literally 12 months ago and begrudgingly but the billet and paid more than I wanted to get into the game. I’m a value shopper so it was tough paying msrp for a machine that was $3k less a year prior. Looking back (and forward) it was worth every penny.

Will you get the “best deals” in this market? Hard no.

Can you get a solid machine that will give you many years and miles of enjoyment? For sure.

So the big question is what’s the value of a rzr to you? Is it worth waiting xx time to get a lower price in the future? For me, kids grow up fast, nobody lives forever and coffins don’t have pockets.

·
Registered
544 Posts
13k for a 12 900 even in this market is pretty steep. I'd spend a couple grand more and move up a couple years and to the 1000. When you go to resell that 900 is worth a lot less and harder to get rid of. I don't know how old your kids are but I know mine and my grandkids would rather ride their own quad than ride in a SXS.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,482 Posts
First time posting in this forum but have been doing a lot of reading within the forum and have found a lot of useful information that i much appericate.

With that being said my wife and me are looking at purchasing our first rzr, we have been riding quads and dirt bikes for years all over the northwest mainly sticking to sand dunes, Moses Lake and juniper mostly. But feel it is time for us to make the switch over to a rzr. Not only for us but the kids as well they are finally getting old enough to enjoy this sport and we feel like a rzr is the perfect opportunity to get the kids involved.

We are currently looking at a 2012 900xp with 1800 miles, street legal kit on it, pro armor doors, metal roof, windshield and brand new tires and bead lock wheels amoung other little things for 13k. Machine looks and sounds amazing, looks like it has been babied its entire life. So my question to you experts out there is this the right time to be looking at buying a used rzr, and financing said rzr at that?

The money isn't necessarily our hangup it's just the market right now and the way things are looking for the future. This is something both me and my wife agree would be good for the family and benefit us in making memories with the kids like we both had growing up. As we have been getting closer to actually purchasing said machine we have begun to question if this is the right time to buy a machine or just wait out the storm and get one than. But as many people have said your kids are only this you once.

Thanks for any insight you guys might give in advance.
You can always make more money. You never get another chance to spend time with your young children once they grow up.

If you are financially stable, then go for it. If you wait it out, you might save a few thousand vs buying today. Just be sure you can truly afford what you buy. Don’t forget the cost of insurance, accessories, and riding expenses such as permits, fuel, and repairs.

We don’t buy these as an investment for their resale value, we buy them to enjoy. So get one and enjoy it with your family! Life is happening now, don’t wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Who says pricing isn’t going to just keep going up and up and up?

As others have said, step up budget and get a XP 1000. 900 is a dinosaur and will be the first thing to tank in value.

Personally, I would not wait. Polaris has 3.99% right now on new ones...

·
Registered
2020 rzr pro xp
436 Posts
Where are you located ? That’s seems to high for a 900 . Around here decked out 900’s are bringing 9-10k even that seems high but normal in today’s market. Id shop around or buy new before I’d pay that for used 900. You may have to drive a little ways to find one, but it would be worth it for the rite deal.

·
Vendor
569 Posts
I can't speak for the Northwest but for Colorado, that price is probably in line for a 900 XP 4, if it's in great shape and has been taken care of. Around Denver I'm not seeing any RZR XP 4 1000s below 17K, and the two at that price point looks like they were rode hard and left outside. Most in decent condition look to be more in the 20K plus range so that is a pretty big step up in price from what you are looking at. If you do decide to step up to a XP 4 1000, I would look at new ones.

The 900XP intake tract wasn't the most reliable. The air filter was precarious to get seated and installed correctly and the throttle body intake adapter boots had a propensity to crack over time. Both resulted in a "dusted engine", basically requiring a top end rebuild. There was also a fairly common problem where the starter idler gear pin would come loose and cause damage. I had an '11 900XP with around 1500 miles on it when I got it. I probably put 1000 miles on it before I sold it. I had to replace the fuel pump on it but otherwise it was pretty reliable.

·
Vendor
569 Posts
See if the owner will wait until you get there to start it cold. Feel the motor or exhaust to make sure it is cold before you start it. If it is hard to start at all or smokes in the least or doesn't idle smoothly, I would pass. You can tell a lot about a used machine by looking at everything else around the owner. The condition of his property, his cars, his yard etc.

·
The Lone Rzr
3,416 Posts
Sold my 2012 xp4 900 7 years ago for $13k
Rode like a truck compared to my xp41k
It had weak valve guides and the air box and intake manifolds didn't seal properly and dusted a lot of motors including mine.
I never cared for the "stink bug" look of the cage but the xp1k wasn't out yet.
And don't go by just the way it looks. I can make mine look showroom new in no time.

·
The Lone Rzr
3,416 Posts
See if the owner will wait until you get there to start it cold. Feel the motor or exhaust to make sure it is cold before you start it. If it is hard to start at all or smokes in the least or doesn't idle smoothly, I would pass. You can tell a lot about a used machine by looking at everything else around the owner. The condition of his property, his cars, his yard etc.
Good point.
I found out my intake valves had zero and negative valve lash when I went from warm weather to cooler weather.
Couldn't figure out why it was so hard to start but ran great when it warmed up.
Everyone said I was crazy when an overhead cam valve clearance gets looser as it warms up.
That's why the manual says to check valve lash when cold

Reactions: Skog

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would guess everyone saying that price is high for a 900 is thinking it's a 2 seater, but since you mention kids I assume it's a 4 seater, if so 13k sounds ok to me...

When buying such an old sxs, especially one with a known dusting issue, even if it seems perfect, I would assume you are going to need to rebuild the engine before long, and if that's not going to be affordable, I would pass and wait. A friend of mine recently bought a similar 900xp4. Everything looked perfect and it had pretty low miles... Second ride it started puking oil, and ended up needing a motor rebuild, which they couldn't afford but luckily family stepped in and got it taken care of.
Also I assume by your post your kids are pretty small, so they will fit fine in the backseat. If they are bigger, 10-12+ the back seat probably won't be very comfortable... We went with a PRO XP4 over an XP1000 because my daughter is 13 and tall for her age, her knees hit the front seat when sitting in the back when and I didn't want her to start to not want to go wheeling because it's too cramped....

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you mainly ride sand dunes dont get a 900. i dont know much about the area you ride, 99% of my riding is in glamis. before my turbo i had a kawi teyrx that was an 840 and was actually faster than other 900s i rode with and it was not nearly enough power for the dunes. now in a turbo s its so much better, i dont have to stress about lines and momentum like i did in the teyrx.
like others have stated 900s will be obsolete soon and value will drop. the teyrx i had was top of line when the guy built it had close to 35k is receipts for the build. i bought it off him for 1/5 of what he had in it, simply because it was outdated with all the new 1000s and turbos. 900s will be the same and that machine is 10 years old
but main thing is budget. thats the reason i got that teyrx, i knew it was older not enough power but it got me to the dunes for a couple of seasons while i saving money for the turbo s.
very hard to find a good deal on a used.

·
Registered
2020 rzr pro xp
436 Posts
I would guess everyone saying that price is high for a 900 is thinking it's a 2 seater, but since you mention kids I assume it's a 4 seater, if so 13k sounds ok to me...

When buying such an old sxs, especially one with a known dusting issue, even if it seems perfect, I would assume you are going to need to rebuild the engine before long, and if that's not going to be affordable, I would pass and wait. A friend of mine recently bought a similar 900xp4. Everything looked perfect and it had pretty low miles... Second ride it started puking oil, and ended up needing a motor rebuild, which they couldn't afford but luckily family stepped in and got it taken care of.
Also I assume by your post your kids are pretty small, so they will fit fine in the backseat. If they are bigger, 10-12+ the back seat probably won't be very comfortable... We went with a PRO XP4 over an XP1000 because my daughter is 13 and tall for her age, her knees hit the front seat when sitting in the back when and I didn't want her to start to not want to go wheeling because it's too cramped....
Yep that’s exactly what I thought was 2 seater: if it’s a 4 then yeah ignore my first reply . Because they are obviously a little higher.

·
Registered
316 Posts
One more thing I would say a low-cost 900 would be a great way to start, because you don't know right now what you really want in a UTV.... I'm very nearly bought a brand new 900 trail because I thought I wanted a 50-in wide machine, but instead we found a cheap used 900 trail. About a month after I bought it I was ready to buy an XP 1000 four-seater, but we waited and I'm glad because looking back now we definitely would not have been happy with that....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts