Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look at spring replacements for my Turbo, and wanted to know if anybody has a preference or recommendation? It seems like most of this forum uses Shock Therapy, but my buddy just replaced his with a kit from Eibach that he loves. He said he heard that Eibach makes the springs for Shock Therapy?? Any opinions would be welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think you're going to get a lot of recommendations for Shock Therapy. I took mine there last month and had them do their stage 4 RIS. That's new springs, new valving and internal shock work, and new front and rear sway bars. Prior to that I had another shop's spring kit that used Eibach springs. Night and day difference. The Shock Therapy setup is much more plush. I liked that Shock Therapy completely tailored the setup to my specific machine. The rates were selected based on my specific machine, the mods it has, the cargo it carries, how much the passengers weigh, how it is driven, and what it is used for. I have yet to see another company personalize a suspension setup to that extent. They were extremely helpful and got my machine done way ahead of schedule since I drove there from Vegas. Cant speak highly enough of my experience with them. I only wish I had gone there first and not spent the money on the other kit. In the end I spent much more than I needed to because I didn't go to them first.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Shock Therapy uses Eibach springs. The difference is Eibach sends out generic rates for everyone where Shock Therapy calculates what’s best for you and your rig weight and send you different spring rates. They don’t tell you the rates either. You answer their questions and they send it to you.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Shock Therapy uses Eibach springs.
Sometimes they use Eibach, sometimes they don't, all depends on supply and availability for each specific spring. They have specific mfg and quality control requirements for each spring they use, but they get them from multiple suppliers.

Perfectly happy with my ST Springs & RIS valving, both were night and day improvements by themselves.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Both are great quality spring kits. If you plan on doing any valving adjustments then ST is probably the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
One complaint I have with ST is that they will not tell you the spring rate even after you have purchased them.
I understand that it is protecting their business and you wouldn't want to give the info too everyone that called on the phone ...But once the customer pays for the springs they should give them this information.
How is the owner supposed to know wich way to go (heavier or softer ) if they need to make an adjustment.

I understand why they do it but I do not agree with it. Several years ago like around 2016 they used to give you this info but not anymore.
Many / most other top suspension tuners will give you the spring rates once you have paid them for their services .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Does Shock Therapy ever offer any forum discounts?

Reactions: Max H

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does Shock Therapy ever offer any forum discounts?
All year long:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My take has been ST isn't a great plan unless you go all the way. They tend to configure much softer, and you'll see a few common theme's over time:

1) They are softer in ride than most everybody else.
2) #1 ones they don't work out as well for guys banging corners hard.
3) Which means ST sells a pretty stiff anti-sway bar to solve that.
4) They also don't market or support the walker sway bar links because they really need consistent sway bar performance.
5) When you see a set used being sold it will almost always be from somebody that was corner to corner oriented (woods hair scramble kind of thing) and didn't like the way they worked.

Now if you drop the coin up front and go all they way, like Ricepow did, I hear it works out pretty well and rides pretty darn nice. I suspect they nose dive more than I'd like under breaking though.

Me? I did my own spring package. If I was to do more I'd seriously consider asking Zbros to valve the back, or more likely Walker ( I have the WE version) themselves. Both will customize, and for sure Walker will tell you what they did and why. Walker does use Eichbach by the way. And I would not invest more than springs in the front. Otherwise the front shock, and I don't care what snake oil some vendors will tell you, should be replaced. ( I'm quite certain Walker won't even re-valve it, and I'd bet Zbroz would at least try to talk you out of it)

FWY, I'd thought ST did not use Eichbach. I don't remember the mfg name now, but it's been mentioned on this site. And of course eichach imprints their springs with the size and rating, so again, not up ST's ally. In fact, for a time I thought ST even marketed the fact that they used slighly over-sized springs. (Maybe, been a while since i considered them)

luck to you,
-d

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Coming from st and going to eibach I will say this. I’ll never go st again. The way the springs destroyed my shock bodies and crossover rings was unreal. My eibach ride much better and they don’t coil bind like the st did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't really have a dog in this fight....BUT when you run duel springs, to get a nice progressive rate over all there is a LOT of tuning to decide on including not just spring rate but also spring free length....so to be successful there will be a lot of R&D time spent. If you own the business you might not want your competitors to duplicate you work by just reading the spring numbers off the springs... Robby Gordon used to manufacture his own shocks and rent them out to Trophy Truck teams..BUT they were no allowed to open them up to see what RG's team was doing inside.
Just saying...:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Coming from st and going to eibach I will say this. I’ll never go st again. The way the springs destroyed my shock bodies and crossover rings was unreal. My eibach ride much better and they don’t coil bind like the st did.
So what’s different about the eibach springs from the ST? My shock bodies are being worn to hell by my ST setup. How does eibach prevent this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not running front or rear swaybars, so it sounds like Eibach may be the better option for me since they are so soft....?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
It really pays the average person to google search spring information and be knowledgeable on it. You'll then realize that nobody that sells spring kits is doing anything other than using higher quality springs to change the spring rates. This is why they don't want to give you the spring rates because anybody can do it. Their know-how is in shock valving. With that said, if you price 8 springs with 4 sliders and 4 crossover rings, they aren't marking them up much over what a non-business consumer can buy it all for.

I'm surprised more guys on this forum haven't experimented with spring rates on every model out there and made a sticky of basic setups. On the first rzr i ever had, 2010 S, i bought a racertech dual rate spring kit heavy rate. The reason I did that was because on the east coast mud adds a lot of weight to the rig and sagging becomes a big ground clearance issue. After having those for about a year and the sliders nearly wearing the threads completely off the shock bodies, i determined their rates were way off for a dual spring setup seeing as how i never experienced coil bind. I sold that set and put on linear rate Afco springs (200# front, 225# rear). The rzr rode like a cadillac and maintained ground clearance. I used those base rates on the next rzr i bought, 2015 900S. I upped the rates to 225# front and 250# rear and again it rode like a cadillac with maintained ground clearance. From my experience, dual rate springs for rock crawling full size vehicles is the standard and works well. That same setup for rock crawling in the east with a less than 2000# rzr.......ehhhh i dont think its necessary. I also discovered for the best ride, I really wanted a spring rate that required no more than 1/4"-1/2" of preload to soften the rebound. This is of course without willing to revalve the shocks and my average speed is 8mph with tons of rocks from gravel to boulders and a max speed of about 40mph.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Same dimensions. My experience with Shock Therapy is that they run lighter rates with more preload. I was happier once I sold my ST kit and swapped to Eibach springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts