Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just got off the phone with Mike. Extremely helpful. Went over everything and is having me add some preload and adjust the crossover rings. Customer service is spot on with them.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know it’s been a few months. I finally got tired of adding preload (up to 4”) and spoke with Ernie. He sent me a new stiffer tender spring. I am at 3.5” of preload to get the recommended ride height and it doesn’t seem much better. I tried to give Ernie feedback and explain what I’m experiencing. I was told they don’t use customer feedback to create their kits they do the testing themselves. Ernie said he drove a car in glamis with this kit and it rode great. So basically what I was afraid of these kits are for the dunes and desert riders out west, not for the east coast trail riders.

I will give a final update once I swap out this stiffer lower spring for a final review. I’m done changing springs at this point it’s a huge pain. If this new lower spring doesn’t work I will just roll with it and count my loss.

This appears to just be a turbo s issue. Normally i would just keep my moth shut and count my losses but i had hoped to provide feedback from the east coast to help them. I personally feel like double to recommended preload to gain recommended ride height is an issue. But ST said I am already running a spring kit their racers run.

Everyone I’ve spoken to or ride with on the east cost is unhappy with their turbo s kit. I’ve spoke with many that are happy with the xp1000 kit. My guess is the heavy winch hanging off the front and other things we run are throwing things off, but they don’t want to hear my feedback. The only ones happy are who got them revalved. I don’t have an issue to pay to have them revalved if it will “blow my mind.” But the spring kit was supposed to be awesome and all I’ve noticed is stiffer front and more ground clearance. I don’t even want anything free. I just want this dream ride I was expecting.

If anyone has any recommendations on someone who does suspension for the turbo s on the east coast rocky trails please message me.

IMG_4327.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would describe my first experience with ST best as very disappointing. This surprised me as I have read gushing reviews from the XP1k and XPT guys for years.

I ordered the stage 3 kit. I spoke with 3 people at shock therapy and they all gave me different answers on what preload settings to use ranging from 1 inch to 5 inches. Not to mention the directions on their website were different than any of the 3 reps I spoke with. After trying for months to figure out why my ride height is so low even when using over an inch more than the recommended starting preload I found out that they somehow messed my order up and sent the incorrect springs.
W...T...F...
So I then asked if they would compensate me for the labor (I already paid the first time) to install the springs and they responded with a “nope, sorry mistakes happen but we will expedite the new ones to you.”
This was unacceptable to me given they sent me the wrong springs which is an error on their part, as well as having no clue what settings are required (btw the directions posted on the ST website are still incorrect for the stage 3).
So needless to say I am very unhappy with my experience and they will not be earning my business in the future. I am the first to sing the praises of companies that have great products and great customer service, but I can honestly say ST has provided me neither.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Did they charge you for the new springs...or just swap them out?

Chris

They’ve just swapped them out. My complaint is I paid for a correct spring set up and have changed springs now for the second time. These aren’t easy to change. Then I feel like he’s getting mad at me for giving feedback on the spring kit. Which i told him i was glad to help give feedback and it wasn’t wanted. I’m not rich. I’m not spending $1200 on a kit that is going to ride stiffer. I want a noticeable plush ride over stock. What’s happened is what I’m afraid of. They test spring kits in the dunes and desert. I’m riding in Tennessee mountains. We have 4 turbo s in our area and none of us are happy with the kit. There is something going on bc everyone loved their xp1000 setup. Even if they don’t want my feedback i still hope I can help.

·
Synister16
340 Posts
any update on this? planning on getting their kit but if its riding more harsh than the oem then its a no go for me. i just want my ride to the same or a little plusher on slow stuff then keep my ride height bec the stock springs arent worth a crap and they collapse..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would describe my first experience with ST best as very disappointing. This surprised me as I have read gushing reviews from the XP1k and XPT guys for years.

I ordered the stage 3 kit. I spoke with 3 people at shock therapy and they all gave me different answers on what preload settings to use ranging from 1 inch to 5 inches. Not to mention the directions on their website were different than any of the 3 reps I spoke with. After trying for months to figure out why my ride height is so low even when using over an inch more than the recommended starting preload I found out that they somehow messed my order up and sent the incorrect springs.
W...T...F...
So I then asked if they would compensate me for the labor (I already paid the first time) to install the springs and they responded with a “nope, sorry mistakes happen but we will expedite the new ones to you.”
This was unacceptable to me given they sent me the wrong springs which is an error on their part, as well as having no clue what settings are required (btw the directions posted on the ST website are still incorrect for the stage 3).
So needless to say I am very unhappy with my experience and they will not be earning my business in the future. I am the first to sing the praises of companies that have great products and great customer service, but I can honestly say ST has provided me neither.
This has been my experience with the recently as well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
any update on this? planning on getting their kit but if its riding more harsh than the oem then its a no go for me. i just want my ride to the same or a little plusher on slow stuff then keep my ride height bec the stock springs arent worth a crap and they collapse..
I wanted the same exact thing as you are wanting. I bought the stage 4 spring kit from Shock Therapy and it has been terrible. Comfort mode is basically gone. At cruising and slow speeds the ride will throw you around now. If your racing or plowing bumps at 45+ the car is more planted. Here in AZ though we have a lot of rocky trails and choppy sand washes that did not agree with the stiffer ST spring rates. I also had to add a lot of preload I’m the front to even get the car to sit at 15 1/2” GC
I’m thinking of going with eibach next. They use longer and softer springs. I’m hoping that will allow me to run less preload to get to the proper ride height.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not trying to jump on the pile here, but I am disappointed with my experience as well. 2019 XPT4, I think they are a great company. They have quality components and ideas. If you are out west and can have them set your car up or ride the same terrain they test in you probably have a good shot at a great setup that works.

Unfortunately the way we ride on the east coast is much different. I had the same experience with them. I would call and they would make me feel like I was clueless. One call was "well you have the car setup wrong".. then I tell him my measurements and that I followed your video precisely, then they were going to talk to someone and call me back.. They didn't so then I called back and it was, "peoples interpretation of ride quality is different. Maybe your asking too much... " Basically the translation was you are an idiot go away.

Now I do believe if I was out west and was flying through the air and running at high speeds on sand their setup would be awesome. But I am going 5 mph through creeks. All these spring/shock companies have a hard job, and I think ST is a good company and great for many people. They make helpful videos that I enjoy. I just think their phone manners could use improvement and maybe they need a Hatfield McCoy trail testing session.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not trying to jump on the pile here, but I am disappointed with my experience as well. 2019 XPT4, I think they are a great company and if you are out west and can have them set your car up or ride the same terrain they test in you probably have a good shot at a great setup that works.

Unfortunately the way we ride on the east coast is much different I believe. I had the same experience with them. I would call and they would make me feel like I was clueless. One call was well you have the car setup wrong.. well no I didn't I followed your video precisely, then they were going to talk to someone and call me back.. they didn't so then I called back and it was peoples interpretation of ride quality is different. Maybe your asking too much...

I ended up calling a east coast based competitor. Went over the spring rates which were all too heavy for my riding style. I stressed to ST I wanted the softest ride possible etc. numerous times. Anyhow the whole process cost me double.

And as already mentioned changes springs is not some easy task.

Now I do believe if I was out west and was flying through the air and running at high speeds on sand their setup would be awesome. But I am going 5 mph through creeks. All these spring/shock companies have a hard job, and I think ST is a good company and great for many people. They make helpful videos that I enjoy. I just think their phone manners could use improvement and maybe they need a Hatfield McCoy trail testing session.
Curious, what was wrong with the stock suspension for your chosen terrain and style of riding?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not trying to jump on the pile here, but I am disappointed with my experience as well. 2019 XPT4, I think they are a great company and if you are out west and can have them set your car up or ride the same terrain they test in you probably have a good shot at a great setup that works.

Unfortunately the way we ride on the east coast is much different I believe. I had the same experience with them. I would call and they would make me feel like I was clueless. One call was well you have the car setup wrong.. well no I didn't I followed your video precisely, then they were going to talk to someone and call me back.. they didn't so then I called back and it was peoples interpretation of ride quality is different. Maybe your asking too much...

Curious, what was wrong with the stock suspension for your chosen terrain and style of riding?
I think most people on here feel a superior ride can be achieved for any riding style with a quality set of springs with a spring rate tailored for your use. Polaris uses poor quality springs which are known to sag and loose ground clearance as well. Also on my 2016 XP4 I had a great experience with a RacerTech spring kit.

And to be completely honest probably nothing, but that is part of the fun of owning a RZR, right? Constantly stimulating the economy by buying every part we can "upgrade"!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I am currently dealing with a competitor of Shock Therapy. I live in AZ but I mostly ride like you guys out on the east coast. I prefer to ride the toughest technical trails I can find and I rock crawl a lot. Most of our riding is done in low gear at low speed. I have heard so many good and bad things about Shock Therapy. I decided to go with a local business called ADS Racing Shocks located in Tucson. They are currently using my car for R&D to come up with a great starting point for a spring and valve formula for the type of riding I love to do. Once we have it dialed in for my car I will post what worked for me in another thread. Mine will be the first 2 seat Turbo S done by them for my type of riding.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am currently dealing with a competitor of Shock Therapy. I live in AZ but I mostly ride like you guys out on the east coast. I prefer to ride the toughest technical trails I can find and I rock crawl a lot. Most of our riding is done in low gear at low speed. I have heard so many good and bad things about Shock Therapy. I decided to go with a local business called ADS Racing Shocks located in Tucson. They are currently using my car for R&D to come up with a great starting point for a spring and valve formula for the type of riding I love to do. Once we have it dialed in for my car I will post what worked for me in another thread. Mine will be the first 2 seat Turbo S done by them for my type of riding.
I’m in AZ as well. A lot of people think we have just wide open desert and whoops, when really it’s mountain roads and small rocky trails. I just want comfort mode super soft and than can adjust modes as needed for bottoming resistance. Lmk spring lengths and rates and if they look good I’ll get a set when available

·
Synister16
340 Posts
Talked to Alex Reed @ Ctraceworx and they are based in North Carolina. he ordered my custom eibach springs and got the total weight of me and passenger with added accesories. he use to valve, re-spring and do IBP mods to my old X3 XRC and XDS and it floats.. i will update once i installed the springs.. i ride mainly mountain trails (windrock park)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Talked to Alex Reed @ Ctraceworx and they are based in North Carolina. he ordered my custom eibach springs and got the total weight of me and passenger with added accesories. he use to valve, re-spring and do IBP mods to my old X3 XRC and XDS and it floats.. i will update once i installed the springs.. i ride mainly mountain trails (windrock park)
Alex is an incredible guy! Wish he would open up to RZR products. He specializes in Can-am stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sucks you all are haveing a bad experience with ST. I've just put them on my 15 1000xp4 and I'm loving them. So much more planted.I did raise the crossovers up some and that helps. I also run my compression all the way soft. The issue I had before was the front was too soft and rear felt stiff. Now the machine feels more even, less bucking and nose dive. Over rough terrain it feels super plush without feeling too soft in the front like before. One thing I would recommend is removing the sway bar on the front if you are riding rough technical terrain. It will make a world of difference. My year xp4 they didn't have a sway bar up front. With the turbos they added them and stiffened up the suspension because the added weight and speed from the turbo. If you are not running high speeds in the dunes and taking corners fast you only need the sway bar on the rear. Walker links on the rear sway bar would make it even better.

Here's a few picks of my setup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 151 Posts