Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted to share my experience about shock therapy and my less than satisfied experience. I will apologize in advance as this may be a bit lengthy. I want to start by saying I never did call them on these issues or address them with shock therapy. You only have one chance with me when I spend 1300 dollars on some valving and springs. And I wouldn't even want them to try and fix my issues after looking at what was inside my shocks. I also want to add here I am not a idiot when it comes to shocks. I've been racing and riding quads, cars and dirt bikes for the past 20+ years. I will also add I'm very in tune with the workings and how to rebuild a shock myself because I have done it many times and have the tools and equipment to do so.

I will start with my setup. 2018 rs1 with a set of fox rc2.5 shocks that I had put 1700 trouble free miles on. I had a few issues like front spring rates too high and the front rebound was way too fast. Other than that they worked excellent. I sent these shocks to shock therapy for a service (pretty much just new shock oil and nitro), the "ride improvement system" , the front shocks shortened a half inch, and a different front spring setup. I sent my shock out in December of last year when I put my rig up for the winter. Well my Winter projects got a bit out of hand and I just finished this thing up 2 weeks ago almost 8 months later. So I'm just now realizing and analyzing what they did and what was done.

On a good note all of the people I talked to throughout my purchase and shipping was great, packaging was excellent when I got them back, shipping was reasonable, everything was done in the timeframe they explained and the finish products and stickers looked killer. Now to the bad parts.

First impression was the ride was very plush but almost too plush per say. Lots of body roll, very soft spring rate, front rebound so loose even full bottomed it felt like the front tires are going to lift off the ground under any acceleration,, lots of pre load into the springs to get ride height, lots of input felt into the steering wheel I never had B4 over bumps, overall no confidence in the suspensions ability. But I figured I hadn't touched the clickers so it just needed tweaking. 18 miles later of constantly tweaking and I realized the front shocks just flat out would not respond to anything I was asking it to do with adjustments. The car felt great and comfy under 10mph. Pick the pace up to 15-40 in the rough and forget trying to stay in control of what you are doing. Pick it up above 50 in the rough and hope you have belts one tight! Front end packing, felt like a set of blown shocks just running off springs, bottom out very easy in rough terrain and so on. Rear was bucking and felt stiff pretty much everywhere even with clickers full soft. None of this was a issue B4 sending them the shocks mind you. The other odd thing was the shocks would not build heat at all. This tells me the valving is either super loose or being bypassed past the shim stacks somehow. So I packed up for the day and went home telling myself it's not worth wadding up my RZR over some I'll shock setup. Talked with a few companies that I have used over the years with quads and trucks about what is going on. Decided to take them to the guys at fcr that are local in Ohio 45 mins from me. He actually let me watch him do the whole process. Now I'm going to comment on only the front shocks because we did not have time to address the rears yet.

Mind you these shocks had less than 50 miles on them and 30 of them came from a Dyno and road riding to break motor in. #1 front shock oil was dark brown like burnt transmission fluid and full of aluminum slivers (should be bright red). #2 they drilled 2 holes in my main shock pistons to bypass oil from going through the shim stacks(plush ride they say). #3 they had bleed style shims on the bottoms of the shim stacks in the valving to bleed even more fluid past the valving(supper plushy they say). #4 floating piston in the rzzy had clearly never Been removed for the full service. #5 after rate checking the springs it looks like they gave me a 200ish over a 250 (250/350 came off). #6 the springs have almost 2" of pre load just to put them on the shock and 2.5" more to get ride height. #7 and this is the huge one here! The half inch aluminum spacers they put into the shock on the shaft to limit droop was completely blocking the bleed hole for the clickers pretty much making them useless! Like for real guys!

In simple terms it was all F#*##d! No way was the shock oil changed, the spacer they made pretty much made any valving they did put in useless, springs way too soft, shock pistons with holes drilled are for people that don't know how to do it correctly with valve shim stacks. Bottom line is they have 1300 dollars from me and I hope people read this B4 they spend the hard earned money they have on a "ride improvement system" what a joke! Now I'm paying someone to fix them and do it the Correct way. On a good note my front shocks are now on point and do exactly what I asked for in the first place. It's just a shame j had to pay someone else to fix it. Going back out next week to do the rears. I'm kinda nervous what we may find in the back now. I'm sure I will have more to add once the rears come off next week so keep posted.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I have the Shock Therapy RIS, with Eibach springs. Did Eibach first, RIS second. I didn't notice a huge difference with the RIS. The bigger difference was definitely the Eibach coils. With RIS maybe it got a little softer, maybe was in my head lol. It definitely didn't get worse though. So I have no true complaints.

Back to my point though, if they did do a crappy job, screwed something up, blocked their valving with a spacer, or just didn't do everything they said they would, or maybe they didn't change the oil. End of the day I will never know, unless like you, I take it somewhere to have dismantled and examined. This is true to probably 99.9% of their customers. We don't have the means to take apart and verify the work. I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong or that they messed mine up, they clearly have many happy customers... However, if they did do something incorrect most of us would never know or be able to prove it. With that glad to hear your story as it's educating the rest of us and I do hope it is an anomaly. It would be nice though if Shock Therapy documented the work to each set of shocks they do, with pics of the work. It would ease my mind, and this isn't just a shock therapy thing, but any company who performs internal (non-visibile) changes that cost a lot of money. If you say we did X show me the before and afters with it clearly being recognized as my given parts.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bad part about all of this is they seem like good people and from the outside they look excellent. The bad part is exactly as u stated not many people take them apart after 20 dirt miles to actually look at what's done inside. If they did something or didn't you would never find out. This is not the first I have heard of some of these issues that I had and that is why I decided to let another company open them up. I do agree they have a great fallowing on the forums some really good and some soso. That's why I went with them. I just really wanted to put this out for people to actually c. I'm not normally one to bash or hate on a company because I am a small business owner myself. But I felt this was worth a write up.

On a side note fcr suspension absolutely killed it on the front shocks and I can't wait to let them do the rears now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You need to call them, before you post, it's only fair. You don’t have to do anything else with them but a call and detailed explanation is the right thing to do. As a small biz owner I think you would want the same.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You need to call them, before you post, it's only fair. You don’t have to do anything else with them but a call and detailed explanation is the right thing to do. As a small biz owner I think you would want the same.
Totally agree. Post all this hate mail without calling is very rude and elementary.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me as a small business owner you have one shot to keep a return customer. I have a diesel performance and repair shop for Powerstroke and Duramax trucks. In my industry people don't call you back they just move on to the next place. And to be completely honest if I was messing up with my work I would hope someone puts me on blast on a forum. I may call them but I'm not going to until I have my rears pulled apart next week. I had more than enough evidence in front of me to put up a post. I haven't decided if it's worth a call to them. It's not going to fix what was in my shocks and I highly boubt I would get my money back. The way I look at it is they didn't call me when they put my front shocks together saying hey we are about to mess these up. I get it things happen but this is not one of those instances. I can understand the spring rates being off because that's kinda trial and error sometimes. But the multiple things inside are not a things happen type of deal. I'm sure some may have different opinions on how to handle this and some may say I shouldn't say anything at all. Call it "elementary" all you want. The only thing elementary here is the job they did. When you have that much disregard it's fair game in my world. And as I said B4 I would hope someone would do the same to me if I step out of line with a repair or a product.

·
Registered
530 Posts
In all fairness, I had an issue when I first got mine. I called, and called and called. Talked to several different people and no one could give me a good answer. It wasn't until I called and requested to return them that I got to talk to Ernie, who quickly figured out I had gotten springs for a WE and not a Fox. They quickly sent out the correct ones and everything was good from there on.

So calling doesn't always work.

·
EE
152 Posts
Totally agree. Post all this hate mail without calling is very rude and elementary.

I disagree with these statements. I had a very bad experience with ST since May, and ended up selling the RZR with the springs on it even though I could have kept them. In my opinion, when a company makes errors this large in the product they deliver, no amount of customer service will bring that back. I called and spoke with multiple people at ST, after emailing and being ignored for days, and I received contradicting information from from all sources. In the end, they were unable to fix the problem, and I was tired of trying to fix it. $900 in springs down the drain, lesson learned. I'm an engineer for an OEM in the heat processing industry; if I made as many mistakes as they did in just one set of shocks, I'd be out of a job. It sucks, nobody wants to bash a small business, but at the end of the day, in this capitalist society, people will vote with their hard earned dollars.

To the OP, I genuinely appreciate this thread, and only wish it had been sooner. Might have saved me $900 and a lot of time. I also wish some people would stop being so quick to dismiss legitimate problems with a company, and play the "give them another chance" card. Not everyone deserves a trophy...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hopefully this topic will stay mainstream and not end up in the off topic section where some of the supporting vendor dislike posts end up.

I have ST and very happy with the way mine turned out. I ended up going with long travel springs on a heavily loaded XPT2.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Sure nice to know there are humans in our midst that have never made a mistake. We had problem with Rigid light bar bought through Polaris. Only part of the lights worked once they warmed up. Required sending it in twice. Rigid stood behind it and replaced with a new bar. Humans make things, humans make mistakes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What you want and what you get are not always the same.
I'm torn on this one. He is not obligated to call. The guy expected what he paid for. That's pretty simple. He did not get it....is that fair?
We could argue either way all day.
I would have called, but I'm not knocking the guy for posting.
He took his biz elsewhere, didn't want to deal with ST anymore.
If his description of the bad job he paid for is accurate, why would anyone be more offended by the truth of a shoddy job? I can answer that, but shouldn't have to explain it.
If people/companies do shoddy work/service, there's nothing wrong with letting people know. Or else...how would anyone else know?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I have been running the FOX RC 2.5 for about 3000 plus miles of Rocky mountain trails and dune / dessert riding. I bought the shocks from a FOX dealer and I have not had them re valved or serviced since I bought them in 2016.
I have had many talks with ST good and bad. The only thing I changed on the shocks was the front top springs. When I got them from Fox they were too stiff and ride height was too high. Back in early 2016
I called ST and I was able to finally talk with Ernie and he suggested a lighter spring rate on the front top spring. He said all the other Factory Fox springs I had were correct. I purchased them and they have been excellent ever since.
Before I talked to Ernie I got a different answer every time I called ST. Every company has its Key people and if that person is not as active in the business then the business will change. Since 2016 I have talked with ST several times and they are unfortunately not the same company they were a few years ago. IMO
The OP has not bashed ST in any way and that is what this forum is about …to let people hear real world experiences without getting personal …good or bad
The fact that the OP chose not to call ST is irrelevant. His comments are based on facts. I don’t think I could be as diplomatic as the OP was if this happened to me. I need to get my shocks serviced this year and I am very glad to hear the OP comments so I don’t have the same issue or waste money and time
DBRs1 …thank you for sharing and being very professional

·
Registered
530 Posts
I called ST and I was able to finally talk with Ernie and he suggested a lighter spring rate on the front top spring. He said all the other Factory Fox springs I had were correct. I purchased them and they have been excellent ever since.
Before I talked to Ernie I got a different answer every time I called ST. Every company has its Key people and if that person is not as active in the business then the business will change. Since 2016 I have talked with ST several times and they are unfortunately not the same company they were a few years ago. IMO
It seems whenever someone has a problem with ST that ends up getting solved, the name Ernie is always there. If they lose him, they're screwed.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
It seems whenever someone has a problem with ST that ends up getting solved, the name Ernie is always there. If they lose him, they're screwed.
Correct!! and he is the Key person that is not as involved as he used to be ...this was stated by ST in a post a few months ago ...They are going thru major growth and one guy cant do it all as much as before. I hope they can turn it around

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is up to the customer/client.

The OP does not "need" do to anything. He transacted with the company, posted his experience and chose to no longer transact with them.

Depending on the relationship I have with a company, I may or may not provide feedback/complain. One factor would be the availability of an alternative vendor. Another would be duration of the business relationship. I have definitely called back shops to give them the opportunity to "make it right". Other times I just never go back.

From what I can tell the OP has put out a clear, concise and fair communication regarding his experience with ST. Now the ball is in their court.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Nobody has to call anybody but ........ you send shocks off to get work done. 8 months later you get around to trying them out and don’t like them. Then you come on the forum and rip the company . Just sounds like an all around bad deal for everyone. The guy got screwed, the company gets screwed because how can they even defend themselves ? I can’t think of any company that wants this situation to happen .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Man I was about to pull the trigger on some rc2 from ST until I came across a post on IG from @mcmasterfabber look threw his feed and check out all the shotty work he fixes from shock therapy , he even calls ST out on it!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.