Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! I am wanting to put more preload on my stock xp shocks. It would appear to me that the rears will need less "turns" than the fronts to achieve the same amount of lift. Is there a ratio that would have me close? Im wanting to crank the rears down 1 1/2 to 2", how much would the fronts need to have it sit level?
Thanks!

So sayeth the RZR DAWG!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Help please! I am wanting to put more preload on my stock xp shocks. It would appear to me that the rears will need less "turns" than the fronts to achieve the same amount of lift. Is there a ratio that would have me close? Im wanting to crank the rears down 1 1/2 to 2", how much would the fronts need to have it sit level?
Thanks!
No easy or pat answer to this one; too many variables! Such as, how badly are your springs sacked-out?; are the rears sacked-out more than the fronts?; how much ancillary equipment (accessories, tools, spares, booze, fuel, etc.) do you routinely carry?, etc., etc. Suggest you start by cranking-down (increase, actually) the pre-load on the front springs to get back the stock ground-clearance (as specified in the manual), then increase the preload on the rear springs until the rear ground-clearance equals the front. My two-bits.........

Cheers

·
Registered
818 Posts
After you move your springs and take it off the jack to check hight. Make sure to move your back and fw to help settle the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok so guys are increasing the preload that much. I bought mine used and the rears were +2 and fronts +1. I just tonight set rear to +1 but didnt ride It after. I will repost on what I find. I just went thru the manual and it said never increase past 1" and if you do adjust back afterwords. Also looking for a stock front shock. have a core if anyone reads this and sells/rebuilds shocks. pm me. thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a different point of view for consideration.. The sag, ride height, preload or what ever word you use to ultimately describe where your shock chrome shaft is within its stroke. Should be set with am idea of what type of riding you plan on doing... Sand dunes, rock crawling, trail riding.. For example sand dunes you may choose to run 70/30 70 percent of the chrome shaft is showing 30 percent is up into the shock body.. This will allow 30 percent of down travel and 70 per compression travel.. 50/50 for rock crawling.... etc. SO that said extend your shocks full extension, measure bumpstop to shock body (chrome exposed) do the math.. make a mark with a sharpie. Fill your rig with full gas and all you normally carry, if you want to get really into it add sand bags to the drivers seat and passenger seats to act as you and your avg. passenger weight . Than move the preload up and down to have the sharpie mark just entering the shock.... Than you will have the unit set.. There is more messing around but this will allow proper settings to than make determinations if spring and valving are needed... That help?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I agree. I typically run a 65/45 setup for most conditions. Alittle more sag will result in a small loss of ground clearance, but will improve ride and handling a ton. On stock shocks this will also slow down the rebound in most cases, thus reducing the "bucking" in the rear. Remember to turn in the compression clicker enough to prevent bottoming.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
First, and foremost; get rid of your stock springs, and replace them with a set of King Progressives from MakinTrax or UTV Inc. If you already have the Fox Podium shocks, then you're good-to-go with those. You just NEED to replace the springs. Polaris buys the shocks from Fox, then puts those cheap-ass Chinese springs on them, and they start sacking-out the moment they leave the showroom floor.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
To increase preload which way do you turn the adjustment nut and does it affect ground clearance?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bottom line. You just use a tape measure. Measure your ride heights and then make an adjustment. Go for a ride up and down the driveway and re measure. Keep doing this until you are happy with the ride heights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RZRForums.net mobile app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Makes sense.I have added a tire carrier, Cargo shelf at roofline above back and hi lift jack. I cannot find where the actual measurements at front and back get taken at? Do you guys know?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not to add to confusion. It's measured at the shock ( the chrome shaft). Extend shock fully. Measure exposed "chrome". Set preload to be aprox. 80% exposed. 20% " up inside the shock body ". Do the front and rear. Just for discussion. Rock crawlers may use 50% exposed. 50% inside. To allow large droop (negative travel) to get thru rocks with minimal body movement. The 80 / 20. Is a good setting for most folks. Hope this helps. Using a ruler is checking the ride heigth without knowing the shock travel. And works fine when the factory sets preload correctly and you use the ruler to identify. Any spring sag. Ok now I am done. Cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didn't mention the easiest way ..... Extend shocks. Measure and mark with black sharpie 80%. Set back on ground. Roll back and forth to allow suspension to settle... Mark with sharpie.... Lift up car. And measure distance between. Sharpie marks.... The the required preload distance to turn down the preload rings. Set on ground. Look and you will find car right at desired ride height/ sag/ whatever you like to call it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Makes sense.I have added a tire carrier, Cargo shelf at roofline above back and hi lift jack. I cannot find where the actual measurements at front and back get taken at? Do you guys know?
Your measure point will not matter just as long as you use the same point every time front and back. Use whatever Polaris said as a ground clearance measurement to start with. They will have measured between the front suspension to the ground and the same for the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RZRForums.net mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts