Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After explaining to a new driver never to move the gear selector while moving, he decided to shift from low to high after he couldnt go faster than 20 miles an hour. Let out a horrible grinding noise. Shifted just like normal after that, ran fine. My question is, how much damage could shifting gears while moving make? Are there tell-tale signs of a damaged tranny?

I guess I'm looking for some peace of mind that my new machine didnt get severly damaged.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
if it is still working I think you are ok. If any damage was done it wouldn't work right.

Just smack him on the head and tell him not to do that again! LOL :brick:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i had a friend do that to mine when i bought it. he confused shifting into awd while moving with shifting the gearbox while moving. that was 300 miles ago and i've had no problems. it sure would be nice if it had a transmission that could shift on the fly from low to high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree- shifting from low to high while moving would be a nice option. Thanks for the quick responses. I like to protect my expensive toys. Maybe I'll put a big bright warning sticker on the shifter for newbies next time. Or better yet, never let anyone else drive it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree- shifting from low to high while moving would be a nice option. Thanks for the quick responses. I like to protect my expensive toys. Maybe I'll put a big bright warning sticker on the shifter for newbies next time. Or better yet, never let anyone else drive it.
x3 ;-)

Or better yet, never let anyone else drive it

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts
I've noticed a funny thing over the years of riding.

There seems to be a GREAT increase of understanding of things like this ......usually after someone writes 'that check' at the dealer.

thats why there is a passenger seat!! (for the new guys)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I guess I may not be the nicest guy but this is one of the reasons I rarely let anyone but me or my wife drive.

·
Lucky sucker!
214 Posts
I'm lucky enough that the only people that want to ride the RZR are either terrified of breaking something or know what to (and not to) do while riding.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sorry doesn't fix it or make it all better. You break it you fix it. If you can't afford to fix it don't ask to drive it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There's an idea for a sticker for the cage..or the dash...."You break it you fix it. If you can't afford to fix it don't ask to drive it. "

"

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i have inadvertantly pulled mine out of gear a couple times now (bad habit of resting hand on shifter) and although it doesnt sound great, it hasnt hurt anything...yet

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm not saying anything is hurt, but, I'm thinking changing the trans fluid is "cheap" preventive maintenance if the trans has any metal shavings in it from when all the grinding occurred....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Best bet is to never let anyone drive your rzr, Only me an my wife Only lol.

They are very expensive toys for some newb to destroy for you:rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have inadvertantly pulled mine out of gear a couple times now (bad habit of resting hand on shifter) and although it doesnt sound great, it hasnt hurt anything...yet
X2

I have mistakenly shifted gears while driving. So far (fingers crossed) nothing has happened. (Bad habit of resting hand...leads to WANTING to shift!)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I just don't let anyone drive my RZR who doesn't have one of their own.. Problem solved. They are expensive and pretty easy to break if you don't know what your doing..

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
X2

I have mistakenly shifted gears while driving. So far (fingers crossed) nothing has happened. (Bad habit of resting hand...leads to WANTING to shift!)
i think i am going to mount some type of handle near the shifter so i have somethign else to hold onto

1 - 18 of 18 Posts