Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the "Six Seater Whoop Eater" officially retired and off to a new home, it's time to build a machine that can take on the slick rock of Moab, rip in the sand sand dunes, and hold up through the harsh desert trails of Arizona. The plan is to build a 2017 XP1K4 dubbed "Shades of Grey", over the next few months with the goal of incorporating aftermarket products that fit within a grey color scheme. Mods will come quick so be sure to subscribe to this thread for updates; we may even giveaway a few items along the way :cool:

But before we delve into the mods, here's a little insight from the owner (DTC employee) as to why the switch from the Ranger Crew, A.K.A. " Six Seater Whoop Eater", to the XP1K4...

"I'm sure I have the same story as many of you... started with a lifted golf cart, moved on to a Yamaha Rhino and then as machines began to evolve I eventually upgraded to a brand new 2013 Polaris Ranger Crew. After many sleepless nights and lots of discussion my wife and I decided that would be the best machine to meet the needs of our family of four. We weren't really "duners" or rock-crawlers, just trail riding and hunting so this was really a perfect machine and fit our needs perfectly. After almost four years, the kids getting older, a few trips to the dunes and Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks we decided it was time to upgrade. Not that the Crew wasn't perfectly capable but it just didn't keep up with everyone in our riding group and as our riding advanced (especially in Moab) it wasn't exactly suited for that type of use.

Again, after many sleepless nights and debates back and forth between the new General 4-Seat and RZR XP1K4, the RZR won out. After checking them both out firsthand the General still felt too "work" and not enough "play"; we are old enough now to want to get out and play a little more (midlife crisis?). After the final decision was made it came time to decide what was essential in making this things ours... first off we hated the two(2) color options for the 2017 models so after seeing them in person we decided that we could do enough to the Titanium model to make it satisfactory as far as color schemes and that is where the snowball began to gain momentum."

-Chad

-Starting Point-

Only two(2) miles on her!​

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sure hope you come up with more or less than 50 shades!:eek:

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This weekend the goal is suspension! More info regarding that to follow.

In the meantime, here are a few more mods accomplished from last week...

-MOD #3 | Storage-

Installed a set of PRP door bags from SXS Performance. Grey piping/trim was considered as it would have tied in nicely with the theme, but ultimately decided all black fits in best. The extra storage of personal items and gear is awesome and they also help keep your knees from hitting the doors.

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
-MOD #4 | Keeping Things Cool-

This is probably the favorite mod of Chad's thus far (YETI fanatic) and how can it not with this functional cooler bracket by Outdoor Logic! This bracket is specifically designed to hold a YETI 35 Tundra Cooler; perfect addition to house those frosty cold... water bottles :cool:

Some future mods right around the corner include: lighting, harnesses, seats, and a very special new product from Rugged Radios! We can't say much about Rugged's latest development, but lets just say it ROCKS!

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-MOD #5 | Seating-

It was decided to go with a local company for the seats; there are a couple of reasons for this:

A) It is always nice to be able to support local, family owned companies.
B) Because they are local the better half can see, touch and test them before telling you what you're allowed to get!

"I called Herbie at Triple X and he was very happy to help us out with our build. The wife and I met him at his location so that she could decide on material, pattern, piping color, etc.. etc. Herbie was amazing to deal to with, had the seats done on time as promised (even while trying to get everything ready for Sand Sport Super Show) and we couldn't be happier!

One thing that did take some negotiation between the wife and I was what to do with the rear seats. I was leaning heavily towards two buckets and she really wanted a bench. I seemed to think the buckets would look better; you still retain both cup holders and they are easier to get in and out. However, my wife had other ideas. We try and take our dog on as many travels with us as we can and my wife insisted that Zoey would prefer a bench (so she can lay down) versus a bucket. At that point I was out of ammo and could debate no more. As you can clearly tell we have a bench seat in the back of our RZR. My wife and Zoey are both very pleased that I eventually came to my senses."

-Chad

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For those curious about the suspension upgrade scheduled for this past weekend... well, that didn't go exactly as planned.

"We ordered new +2 forward a-arms, high-clearance radius rods and high-clearance trailing arms from our good buddy Nate over Zbroz Racing. We have known these guys for years through events such as Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks. They build great products and are great guys!! Anyhow... Saturday morning rolls around, the shop is prepped, we have everything we need and are ready to get a full suspension upgrade underway.

Figuring the front is going to be the most time consuming we decide to start there. Once we get the stock arms off and begin pressing out the bushings we realize something is different. The 2017 comes with brass bushings!! Oh Boy, we've already got these things pressed out and pretty much destroyed the little plastic spacer "thing's" that keep the bushings from going too far into the arm. At this point we have our fingers crossed that these things will fit into the ZBroz arms... well our optimism was soon shredded to pieces!!

The 2017 brass bushings will NOT fit into a-arms from previous model years. At this point we can't get the OE stuff back on (we ruined the spacers) and we have no bushings for the new arms. After calling all over town we find some 2016 bushings for everything except the short side on the upper arms. three hours later (after chasing parts) we come to the conclusion that we are going to have to fabricate something just to get the new arms on and secure enough to hold everything together well enough to get the machine back on the trailer. Some grinding, sanding and filing on a couple of the OE bushings and we manage to get them in the new arms enough to be able to roll "Shades of Grey" back on the trailer.

However, the day was not a complete waste. We were able to get the entire rear end done without any complications at all and we did actually learn something that may be helpful to some of you other guys (and ZBroz) regarding the front suspension on the 2017 models. Nate is getting us a set of his premium brass bushings for his arms sent out ASAP and we will have this all dialed in by the end of the week. Sometimes you just have to do things twice."

-Chad

Suspension photos coming soon, stay tuned!

·
Supporting Vendor
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We mentioned a new product from Rugged Radios earlier in this thread. We're really stoked for this MOD, but need to wait a week or so before we can "officially" display the awesomeness! Rugged did, however, drop some hints on this new product through their FaceBook channel the other day; check it out!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts