Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Very new to RZR community. Not new at all to playin in the dirt. Rode and raced ATV's for many year's , in my mid 20's was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy and began to have issues trying to ride my quad the way I once did. This caused me to move away from fourwheelers and focus on rock crawling for several years.
Several local guys have been getting into SxS's recently thus bringing back the itch for a new toy, so I picked up a 2014 RZR 800 50" with power steering.
I can still walk for short distances with the aid of a cane and can drive the rzr unassisted albeit like and old man.
After a bit of research (not nearly enough) I ordered up the hand control kit from Sure Grip.
UTV Sure Grip Hand Controls for Disabled Riders

At first after looking at the website (too hastily) , noticing how they broke it down for the many different models, I assumed it was pretty well a "bolt on".

When I recieved the kit I was pretty happy with it, quality of components looked good.

About 10 min. into the install I figured out it was not going to be a "bolt on".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First part of the install is finding the correct place to mount the base for the unit. After reading and rereading the manual, I found that none of the "suggested" mounting positions would work for my machine.
Clearance issues everywhere. The tilt wheel cylinder, the steering shaft, the dash.....
I finally decided upon a location, I wanted to use the same bolt hole that mounts the bottom of the tilt wheel cylinder for one of the two bolts that mount the base. This was however going to require a spacer.

The 2" block that you see between the column and the base are my spacer.
This located the shaft where everything mounts in a good location. High and tight (out of the way). And in a good position to clear the upper parts of the tilt wheel set up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next pic shows how clearances ended up below the steering wheel.

I was pretty happy with it in this location, BUT even with the 2" spacer positioning the unit 2" further inboard than the suggested mounting location, the handle was still too far to the left, almost outside of the machine.

So at this point, I shortened the shaft between the handle and the housing by 1-3/4". This got the handle where it should be.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Always good to see Mods like this! Wish there were more options for the disabled crowd. Its way too fun in these machines to be limited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pic of clearance to tilt steering.

The connecting rods came with clamp style connectors that clamp to the brake pedal linkage and the throttle linkage. I was not a big fan of this set up for either pedal. On top of that, I found that there was no way to clamp the throttle linkage in a way that would allow the clamp to clear the floorboard at anything above half throttle.So I decided to drill the linkages to allow the stud on the heim joint connecters to run straight through the linkage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope this may of help to anyone considering this mod.

Once all said and done , I am very happy with the end result. I can now ride/drive this machine the way I want. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts