Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just a installed a Dirty Dawg Performance clutch kit on my 2009 LE. The secondary clutch is the 2008 version with the DDP cut helix with the EBS notch.

When the RZR is fired up and in neutral, the secondary doesn't make any noise, but when I jack the back end up and hit the gas, the secondary initially clunks and/or knocks for a moment, then continues as per normal. It's a little disheartening hearing this noise.

I spent a couple of hours researching on the web and it appears this knocking is inherit to all Polaris secondaries with the EBS helix.

Is this something I just have to get used to??? I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from fellow RZR owners that they have this same condition.

Here is a short vid I took of the noise....the first one is in neutral, the second video is in high gear.

RZR Clutch :: DDP Clutch in Neutral video by bilinvic - Photobucket

RZR Clutch :: DDP Clutch in High Gear video by bilinvic - Photobucket

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I have not tried a EBS helix, but based on how it works it seems likely that it could cause the sound you are talking about as the rollers jump out of the EBS notch.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
OH, I knew he had the adjustable weights.. I didnt know he had a different hellix... and I never drove it or rode in it.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
in your testing and videos the wheels are off the ground... does it make the same noise when driving around and the clutch has a load on it?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The following quote applies to snowmobile clutches(Taken from Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook), but I it makes sense that it would apply to EBS Helix applications also.

"When installing the cam and spring again, first make sure to wind the moveable sheave at least a quarter turn counterclockwise to make sure the helix cam towers are on the tension side of the buttons or rollers. Failure to do so will result in no pretension and a sluggish shift out. This is one of the most usual mistakes for beginnerss."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts