Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas, I have a 2012 900xp and when I bought it needed an engine rebuild. While tearing it down I noticed the stator plug was completely melted and had to be cut apart. Previous owner had stated he replaced the stator so I think that should be okay. Replaced the plug with a weather packoff amazon and after 20 miles I noticed it was melting again. Voltage at idle is reading 14.1 which I don't think seems off?
Also, I believe I have the wiring in the same order as the previous plug but the order shouldn't matter anyways right?
Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
833 Posts
The usual suspect for high heat and heat damage in an electrical circuit is high resistance. Check connections for loose pins and correct as required. Could be dirt or other foreign substance in the connector as well. Not sure if it is possible to check resistance of the stator to regulator wiring w/o going through the wire insulation with tester.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah it sounds like a “pin fitment“ issue. That is the pins (or blades or whatever need to fit tightly together by spring pressure , there should be some nice drag as they come together. If not you’ll have high resistance and heat. These terminals are designed so they fit tight enough together they become “gas proof” , ie air tight and no air can get between the contacts so no corrosion can take place. Did you replace both sides of the plug?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly the last plug was so melted I had to cut it apart so not sure if any pins were loose or not. I will say though that the last pins were just crimped on with a pliers so I could of had a bad crimp. I may try and also solder the wire on the pins so I know I have some better connections? Curious if anyone thought it could be the regulator or anything else but I guess it wouldn't be as long as it's generating 14 ish volts when running

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Honestly the last plug was so melted I had to cut it apart so not sure if any pins were loose or not. I will say though that the last pins were just crimped on with a pliers so I could of had a bad crimp. I may try and also solder the wire on the pins so I know I have some better connections? Curious if anyone thought it could be the regulator or anything else but I guess it wouldn't be as long as it's generating 14 ish volts when running
Double check the connection on your voltage regulator as well. Friend had melted connectors there as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad connection for sure. Check voltage off idle to make sure regulator isn't over charging. Definitely needs to be soldered!
Update: previous owner had alot of accessories wired in, disconnected all those just to make sure bad wiring wasn't in play there.

At idle it is producing 14.6 volts, increasing RPM didn't affect voltage? Still at 14.6.

Wiring at connector (small wire side) was too hot to touch within 30 seconds.

Kinda stumped here, voltage should have changed with rpms

·
Registered
23 Posts
I HAVE TO ASUME YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR GROUNDS ANY LOOSE CONNECTION CREATES HIGH RESISTANCE AND HEAT. OK LETS MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ONE LEG GROUNDED. unplug connector set your meter to ohms measure each leg Y1 Y2 Y3 to ground each one should read open or infinity if not it is grounded remove cover check for damage. 14.6 @ idle is great and should not rise above 15 or you will cook the battery lights wont last as long ect. sorry for the caps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I HAVE TO ASUME YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR GROUNDS ANY LOOSE CONNECTION CREATES HIGH RESISTANCE AND HEAT. OK LETS MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ONE LEG GROUNDED. unplug connector set your meter to ohms measure each leg Y1 Y2 Y3 to ground each one should read open or infinity if not it is grounded remove cover check for damage. 14.6 @ idle is great and should not rise above 15 or you will cook the battery lights wont last as long ect. sorry for the caps.
Are you talking stator/engine side or voltage regulator side? Or should they both be infinity?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry stator side do this test first! Do you have a Amp clamp Amp draw is different from voltage just in case You said you installed a new connector and it is soldered on? Is it Y1 Y2 or Y3 that is getting hot?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After checking short to ground meter still on ohms Checking Y1 to Y2 should read 0.07-0.13 ohms Y1 to Y3 the same and Y2 to Y3 the same
Y1 Y2 and Y3 to ground on both stator and regulator side read open loop. Stator side Y-2 Y2-3 Y3-1 all also open loop. Regulator side read 0.0 between all 3 legs. Honestly don't remeber which leg got hot or if if was all 3 even ill have to check tomorrow. Thanks for helping I appreciate it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts