Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I havent been able to work on the RzR for about a week since I am waiting on stuff to come in. So I got to looking at it and decided I wanted to block off under the seat. I looked up a few and didnt really care for the ones I saw. I decided I could make one fairly easy. Here is what I have so far today. Just the drivers side. I am almost done mocking up passenger side, but I took a lunch break.

I plan on covering the bottom with some type of foam to reduce noise and heat and also hope to seal it some. I also will probably line the edges with a weather stripping of some sorts to help seal it. This will all be plastic. I measured the seat mounts and the seat to see what clearances I had and bought the appropriate thickness of plastic.

I plan attachinig the bottom piece with self tapping screws maybe at the ares awith the silver X's

I plan on attaching the top piece with the existing gold screws to the left, and then maybe putting in a couple of L brakets on the plastic wall I am pointing at and then bolting it to them

What do yall think? I was going to make it a solid piece all the way across, but now I am thinking maybe a two piece since you very rarely need to do anything under the passenger seat.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, here is the passenger side mock up. The damn fuel tank was not fun to try and get fitted, but I guess it will work..

and the complete package...

I also decided to make the center piece between the seatbelts its own. It will be a permanent piece. Also, I went back and realized that the way I had it against the center piece covering the motor, I wouldnt be able to remove it, so I changed that.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, 63 views and no comments. I dont want to cut the plastic yet as there might be something I am missing or not thinking of..

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think it should work just perfectly. Great looking set-up. I have been wanting to do the same thing for a long time. Just haven't tackled it yet. But you have inspired me to get on with it.....:)... thanks for showing us your work.
Ken

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... I bought my plastic here
I have never purchased plastic before so I am not sure if its a good price. Once I cut the plastic and have final fitment, I will post the measurements for everything to make it easy for yall.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Hmmmm...I bought the one that is 1/8" rubber on ebay. Had to trim it a bit but it fits great, I can remove one side at a time ,it keeps most of the dust and mud out and I think it was less than $40.

Might that not be easier?

If you block off behind the drivers seat where the ECU is , it will fill up with mud in a hurry. Don't know why, but mine always has a couple of inches in the bottom, and I'm not a mudder at all!

Just some thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmmm...I bought the one that is 1/8" rubber on ebay. Had to trim it a bit but it fits great, I can remove one side at a time ,it keeps most of the dust and mud out and I think it was less than $40.

Might that not be easier?

If you block off behind the drivers seat where the ECU is , it will fill up with mud in a hurry. Don't know why, but mine always has a couple of inches in the bottom, and I'm not a mudder at all!

Just some thoughts,

Pirate
Do you have a link for that rubber on ebay pirate?

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
both my rides have under seat dust blockers,
bought from e bay
just punch in rzr under seat dust block off kit

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw the rubber one, but for what I do, I don't think it will hold up and really didn't like the idea. The ECU compartment won't fill up as I have several large holes drill in it. The only thing I am a little concerned with is possible heat build up in that area, but again, with the extra holes in the are, it might be ok.

H

·
0 Posts
Gotta ask what's the purpose for water/mud riding? That's what you ride mostly right? Not saying its a bad idea..just trying to understand your motivation? I'd think maybe for dusty trail riding..but heck after a few dep holes aren't all the gaps plugged with mud? Is it the heat maybe? If so I'd concentrate on stoping the fan from blowing under the floor first..JMO
I love tinkering with my toys almost as much as riding them..that the case here?
Not trying to be an ass..seriously wondering. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
i did the same thing on my 09 std and used aluminum and over the tank i put a peice of foam in the whole you have to cut will look for the pictures.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotta ask what's the purpose for water/mud riding? That's what you ride mostly right? Not saying its a bad idea..just trying to understand your motivation? I'd think maybe for dusty trail riding..but heck after a few dep holes aren't all the gaps plugged with mud? Is it the heat maybe? If so I'd concentrate on stoping the fan from blowing under the floor first..JMO
I love tinkering with my toys almost as much as riding them..that the case here?
Not sure what you are asking in the first part. Are you saying why do I ride in mud and water? If thats the case, then its because that is all we have to do here. We dont have rocks or trails to ride in. ATV/UTVs are illegal to ride in most of the state forest here, and where I live, if it isnt state, it belongs to the military (also illegal) or private land owners who will not let you ride. So we have to travel an hour north to the park, or to other parks that are fairly close. When I was into rock crawling, it was very common for us to travel 6+ hours for a weekend outing. As for the reason for the seat block off, its mainly because I was bored and wanted to build something (Im 38 and retired and sit at the house all day and cant do a lot of different activities because of my knees). So I was looking at it and thought damn, I will build this because I dont like the rubber one and I want to keep out the noise and heat. I plan on doing the dash as well, just havent researched it yet. This is also ruffly the same cost if you dont count the two top pieces.

H

·
0 Posts
Not sure what you are asking in the first part. Are you saying why do I ride in mud and water? If thats the case, then its because that is all we have to do here. We dont have rocks or trails to ride in. ATV/UTVs are illegal to ride in most of the state forest here, and where I live, if it isnt state, it belongs to the military (also illegal) or private land owners who will not let you ride. So we have to travel an hour north to the park, or to other parks that are fairly close. When I was into rock crawling, it was very common for us to travel 6+ hours for a weekend outing. As for the reason for the seat block off, its mainly because I was bored and wanted to build something (Im 38 and retired and sit at the house all day and cant do a lot of different activities because of my knees). So I was looking at it and thought damn, I will build this because I dont like the rubber one and I want to keep out the noise and heat. I plan on doing the dash as well, just havent researched it yet. This is also ruffly the same cost if you dont count the two top pieces.
Wasnt asking why you ride mud..sorry if it was confusing the way I wrote it.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol...No worries....I am doing school work at the same time as I am on here, so maybe I am confusing myself.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so anyone searching this. It didnt work. The material for the bottom was too thick and would not allow my seat to latch all the way. So, I might tak a little off of the bottom of my seat base to help it.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I just took a piece of rubber pond liner and cut it to fit under the seats.. I blocked off the holes behind the sets with small pieces of ABS plastic.. The pond liner was around 20 bucks at home depot.. I had enough to do 3 RZRs.. You buy it by the foot but its like 12 feet wide.. So you end up with a piece thats 3x12

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Wren,

I had to cut small pieces out of my under seat mat where the seat base rests on the 1" cross tube. That solved that problem.

Pirate

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok, so anyone searching this. It didnt work. The material for the bottom was too thick and would not allow my seat to latch all the way. So, I might tak a little off of the bottom of my seat base to help it.
I used the same 1/8" thick urethane and I simple put a washer under the seat latches on the seats and now they latch without any trouble.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts