Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy's have been thinking about a school bus to haul our rzrs I've been doing some measuring and I think we can fit three in a bus and putting fold down bunks down the side for the short trips just wanted to get some input do you think it could work or has anyone done it or have any ideas

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was planning on beavertailing the back and making the back wall a flip down loading ramp. Seems like it would work good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking it would make the trips more fun also

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
Rebirth of he hippie! :rofl3::rofl3:

I'd thought bout it but never followed through. Keep us posted on it if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Rebirth of he hippie! :rofl3::rofl3:

I'd thought bout it but never followed through. Keep us posted on it if you decide to do it.
me too. never did, too much work now. GO FOR IT !!! ... AND POST PICS:popcorn: :)
Frank

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was a good idea I pull all 3 with my mega can now and get about 8 mpg a bus would do that or better and toucan pick them up for around $1500 to$3000 locally I got my eye on one if I can get it bought you might just see me at your local camp ground I'll be parked over there with the $70000 toy haulers haha

·
poorbuthappy
401 Posts
when I was doing some research about converting a bus or a uhaul I kept running into treads about people not being allowed into campgrounds because of looks. said f it anyways and got a box truck. just ordered the door, steps, and vents. windows next month. another issue is how much weight over hanging the rear axle... wish I had the metal working skill to make the back end hinge up. google krawer hauler. lots of good bus conversion web sites...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
i think you should go for it. i've wondered why some people don't buy used box trucks for hauling. You can get a used box truck for next to nothing.

·
Just call me Bob
343 Posts
Me and my buddy's have been thinking about a school bus to haul our rzrs I've been doing some measuring and I think we can fit three in a bus and putting fold down bunks down the side for the short trips just wanted to get some input do you think it could work or has anyone done it or have any ideas
I've seen a few near Evarts, KY that do this with quads, they double it as a camper when toys are out of it too. They just used folding cots if I remember correctly it's been about 5 years since I seen it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I would do it and paint the bus bright red and put some racing stripes..lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
go for it, I camp in a box truck, school buses are cheap to buy, giveaway and they are heavy duty strong

·
Registered
130 Posts
Something to watch for is gearing, most school bus are geared for low speed for as they average about 35 mph. Most schools have certain buses that they use for field trips. I have a step van that I use to pull my toys and the back converted for camping. Doesn't like speeds over 60 as it was intended for in town deliveries. Just thought I would throw it out there so you have to go thru the added expense of gear change or higher fuel usage at higher speeds

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Good point Jimmy. I would look for a front engined bus that the district used for longer trips. They have better highway gearing ratios. Also, school busses are maintained to a pretty high standard due to the safety factor required.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a friend who wants to do the same for towing his long travel ranger, but he want to find one that they use for handicap kids. Some of them have lifts and larger rear door openings...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts