Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I’m probably speaking to a very small number of individuals, but here it goes anyway. SuperATV has a Long Travel kit (LTK-P-RZR900S15-3) that will take my RZR 900XC from 55” to a 66” wide. Obviously the stock shocks are not compatible. SATV does however offer a set of optional 25” Walker Evan shocks to compliment the kit, but I don’t see any specs mentioned for them, there just listed as Walker Evans Piggy Back shocks. Does anyone have any experience with the kit (the same kit fits the 900 Trail, 900S & 1000S)? What about the shocks in the kit? Sample Kit: 3 Inch Long Travel Kit for Polaris RZR S 900 / RZR S 1000 by Super ATV

Little History: I had a set of Fox 2.0 Performance Series piggyback shocks that I had totally reworked by ShockTherapy, with a full spring kit complete with tenders that actually worked great on my stock suspension. They are a worlds better than the shocks in their stock form and they have completely spoiled me, but it was a very expensive route and I would have rather purchase a good set shocks off the shelf this time. I would hate to purchase an expensive long travel kit only to find out the optional $2000 shocks are just basic entry level shocks that I would be disappointed with. They do give the option to purchase kit without shocks and buy my own, but I wouldn’t even know where to begin with spring rates on a aftermarket long travel conversion. Looking for experienced advise before I pull the trigger.

·
5,813 Posts
Bad news, dude... ? We no longer make the boxed 64" conversion kit.

BUT......our S conversion kit is definitely the most popular one out there. You can probably post about it in the 900 trail (50") section and get a TON of responses. You have the 55" XC, and the only difference between yours and the 50" trail models is your offset wheels and shocks. Both will work with the S conversion kit. So....instead of 60"...if you use those wheels you'll be at 65".
Cool things about the kit...
  • Totally works with everything you have now
  • Includes all suspension parts you'll need
  • works with your stock shocks and wheels
  • later on...if you want a COMPLETE conversion, you can swap out your shocks and our drop brackets for true 900 S (60") length shocks and be a true 900 S. You can often find cheap 900 S length takeoff shocks.
  • Plus...you get a little discount for being a member.
Here's a link to the S conversion kit.

We also have an option with a 3" lift built in, but you won't be able to swap out for S length shocks down the road. You'll need your current shocks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can a moderator please move this thread to the 50" trail section for me?

@SuperATV , thanks for the quick response! I was really hoping for the boxed A-Arm kit, is it possible that I might be able to find that kit with a SATV vendor who has it in their left-over inventory? Or was that item only drop-shipped from vendors?

·
5,813 Posts
I doubt it man. :( Its been obsolete for about a year, so any out there are probably on the trails right now. Plus, they were designed more for the 15 and 16 frames that had a tighter upper A-arm tab mount tolerance than the later models. My buddy has that kit on his General and may be swapping out for a custom thing he's working on, but that's still up in the air. That S conversion is BAD though! Better ride, more stability, BEEFY as hell, plus lifetime warranty on all the suspension parts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No doubt that the S kit is beefy and more stable than what I have now, I’m just looking for something wider than that (I want be at the very least XP width on arms). I haven’t given up yet, but so far every vendor I’ve called doesn’t have it. Mine is a ‘15 so I guess I have the correct tighter uppers that your mentioning.

Just curious here... why was it pulled off the market? With the same kit fitting several different machines seems like a smart kit to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm interested in something like this too for my 15. The problem for me is the S conversion uses our stock shocks, which from what I have found will beat you to death.

·
5,813 Posts
Just curious here... why was it pulled off the market? With the same kit fitting several different machines seems like a smart kit to sell?
I think it was a little ahead of its time honestly. The last few years, guys with 50" and 60" machines were worried about width on local trails, and now those limited trails are starting to open up. Plus, a lot of guys are just now jumping into the industry and noticing how you get a WAY better ride with a wider machine with more travel. Sadly, it was just a slow seller...and now that its gone I get more questions about it. Another reason we let it die was because it only fit the early 2015-2016 900/900 S and 2016 General models. The later models A-arm tabs are about 1/2" wider, and these just don't fit. You could beat the hell out of some tubed arms and make them fit, but these boxed arms aren't going to budge. So...it was ahead if its time for the original releases, and just doesn't fit on the newer models' frames. I'll definitely bring up your interest though and see if its a possibility to bring them back at some point....but it would probably be a loooong time before we were able to bring it back.

I'm interested in something like this too for my 15. The problem for me is the S conversion uses our stock shocks, which from what I have found will beat you to death.
Dude!! Ask around on the forum for some 900 S takeoffs, and you'll have a complete 900 S at that point. You won't have to use your regular 900 shocks and shock brackets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm confused! Will the S900 shocks fit the conversion? If so then it make sense if the OEM shocks can be used ,with the conversion, then why can't the S900 shocks fit the 50" without the conversion?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm confused! Will the S900 shocks fit the conversion? If so then it make sense if the OEM shocks can be used ,with the conversion, then why can't the S900 shocks fit the 50" without the conversion?
-Yes stock 900S shocks will fit the S conversion.
-Stock 50" trail shocks fit the S conversion with an adapter (this is so you can upgrade to longer shock later and remove the adapter). They also make a 2nd alternate S conversion that will use your stock 50" shocks without an adapter, but your stuck with using that length shock forever. Make sense?
-Stock "S" shocks are too long to fit a 50" machine.

...As you move from a 50" to a "60" (ie 900S) the a-arms get wider and shock angle changes requiring a longer shock (the shock is leaned in more). You "can" use a trail model shock on an S by installing adapters that make up the difference in length (but you can't take a longer shock and compress it down on a 50" because it would bottom out too easily). But when you step to the 66" kit the shock angle changes dramatically and thus the shock length & spring rate get larger again, an adapter with trail length shocks on 66" kit would not work well, you really must have a longer shocks so that those long arms can travel without bottoming out a shorter shock.

A general rule of thumb is the longer the a-arms the better the ride and stability. The tops of the shocks are mounted in roughly the same place, but because the bottom of the shock gets mounted as outward as possible the shocks get longer as the arms get longer.

Check out where the botttoms of the shocks mount in these three pics and you can see why the shocks need to get longer as you go wider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was think of that after I made the post. Thanks for clearing it up for me. However, to do it right is a very expensive when you add both the conversion and good shocks together.

·
What?
180 Posts
If you're looking for 64"+ and can do some minor fabrication, I'd be looking at getting front components from a 1000XP. For the rear, I'd do some research on the General XP rear arms. The general used to share the same suspension components as an S (not sure if they still do), so the rear arms may fit the tabs on a RZR. The general runs bigger bolts in the bushings than the 10mm in the RZR S, so it may be as easy as opening up some holes, or swapping bushings. Also keep in mind that these machines are wider than advertised. My 900 with S suspension was 63" wide on stock wheels. My advertised 64" RS1 is 66" wide on factory tires.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you're looking for 64"+ and can do some minor fabrication, I'd be looking at getting front components from a 1000XP. For the rear, I'd do some research on the General XP rear arms. The general used to share the same suspension components as an S (not sure if they still do), so the rear arms may fit the tabs on a RZR. The general runs bigger bolts in the bushings than the 10mm in the RZR S, so it may be as easy as opening up some holes, or swapping bushings. Also keep in mind that these machines are wider than advertised. My 900 with S suspension was 63" wide on stock wheels. My advertised 64" RS1 is 66" wide on factory tires.
Thanks Tate! Best I can tell from my research an XP is advertised as a 64” machine, while the 2019 and older General is advertised as a 60” machine using “S” parts as you mentioned. Even if the rear arms fit, it would be narrower in the rear with XP arms on the front. But the General arms theoretically should fit (sans below), it’s just that General parts are much harder to come by.

Add on top of all that there are inconsistencies in the width of the upper a-arm in the front (of all RZRs, Generals) depending on what factory it came out of, Polaris changed it at some point, but they were slow to adapt the change. So some of the same model year machines had different width upper front a-arms where they mount to the frame (Thanks Polaris)! ...the difference is somewhere around 1/4” +/-

(NOTE: I didn’t count the new 64” 2020 General model as those would be impossible to find right now being brand new).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts