Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
CB-BLR
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a thread about sand tires for the Pro R.

I am thinking that because of the fairly wide range of its CVT...ie it starts out pretty low geared, that a 32 or 33 inch tire package is going to be the cats meow.

Though I know that opinions differ....I prefer some sort of traction tire on the front end, and driving in 4x4 most of the time unless just goofing around. In testing up steep hills on similarly powered machines...being in 4x4 is quickest to the top of the hill.

System 3 recommends their 33" SS360 tires with the definite use of the HP version on the rear.

I also see that Packard makes a 33" sand-lite tire accompanied by a appropriately sized steer tire.

I think it might be interesting to run one of these in the rear accompanied by a SS360 on the front.
The Packard is a 15" wide rear tire...so running the 33x12-15 in the front might work nicely...but not sure how the 15" rear tire would work on my 10" wide rims though.

I don't want this thread to get too carried away with wheels...as this can become a little off point...but I followed SXS Blogs example and ordered 5x4.5 bolt pattern wheels from Jegs at under $600 for all four wheels...a couple of 15x10's and a couple of 15x8's with both being on zero offset.

Anyone have thoughts or already have observations on this topic for the Pro R specifically?

Chris

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am buddies with the Packard guys, those tires have been working very well, fair price too.
I think a big tire is definitely the way. The Packard guys have a few of the Pro R's that they have had out running the dunes, they will have some info.
Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can tell you what not to buy. Buddy had a brand new set of the Extreme Sand Tires on his two seater when we were out in Gordons Well a few weeks ago. Ripped three paddles off of one side and two on the other after ONE ride. Those Rogue paddles didn't stand a chance against the torque of the Pro R. It tore a few other paddles on the front side of the paddles in the middle, but did not completely tear them off. If he would have kept going, I'm sure they would have. After spending nearly two grand, he was disappointed to say the least. From what I saw, a molded paddle is in order. He is going to try Scat's next to see if they hold up any better, but so far, glued paddles 0, Pro R 1.

·
CB-BLR
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can tell you what not to buy. Buddy had a brand new set of the Extreme Sand Tires on his two seater when we were out in Gordons Well a few weeks ago. Ripped three paddles off of one side and two on the other after ONE ride. Those Rogue paddles didn't stand a chance against the torque of the Pro R. It tore a few other paddles on the front side of the paddles in the middle, but did not completely tear them off. If he would have kept going, I'm sure they would have. After spending nearly two grand, he was disappointed to say the least. From what I saw, a molded paddle is in order. He is going to try Scat's next to see if they hold up any better, but so far, glued paddles 0, Pro R 1.
I believe that the Extreme Sand Tires are made for them by Skat to their specs.

Chris

·
CB-BLR
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...I have received the Packard 33x15-15 Tires and they seem to have the same paddle shape and design as my STU 28 #2 cut. (which I love)... They measure 33 inches from tip of paddle to tip of paddle...the Carcass measures approx. 31 inches. I have also discovered that System 3 tire measurements are based on the radius of the outside of the tire (including the paddles), and divides it by Pi (3.142). Armed with this knowledge and looking at the 32" SS360 which is listed at a 32.2"...minus the 1.2" of paddles (.6 paddle height for the non HP variant x2), A 32" SS360 has a carcass diameter of approx 31 inches. Now I need to decide whether to use a 32x10 or a 32x12 on my front 15x8 wheel. Remember that that my rear tire (33x15) is on a 15x10 wheel. Not sure whether the extra float of the 12, or the extra cornering bite of the 10 inch wide wheel will be best for general dune playing.

Hopefully some of this rambling will help out...I am exhausted and half brain dead at the moment,

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Wheels for sand - Method (albeit not cheap) - they will have MR 413 forged (polished only) in 15x7 - 5/2 and 15x10 in 5/5 or 6/4 - should be ready in July/August time frame. Those are 15.9 lbs. for fronts and rears are 18.2 lbs. each. These are super nice - but they cost a bundle

They are also going to do a MR 414 Bead Grip for the sand which will be less than half the cost of the 413 forged - in 15x7 - 5/2 and 15x10 - 5/5 or 6/4 - those will be out August/Sept. time frame. No weights on those yet - but the 409 bead grips in same sizes are 15.7 lbs. for 15x7-5/2 fronts and 17.9 lbs for 15x10 - 5/5 rears for a 4 bolt configuration - which are a good estimate of what the 414's will be. For Methods this will be the value choice and you probably don't need beadlocks for the sand.

·
Registered
'18 XPT2
1,418 Posts
Wheels for sand - Method (albeit not cheap) - they will have MR 413 forged (polished only) in 15x7 - 5/2 and 15x10 in 5/5 or 6/4 - should be ready in July/August time frame. Those are 15.9 lbs. for fronts and rears are 18.2 lbs. each. These are super nice - but they cost a bundle

They are also going to do a MR 414 Bead Grip for the sand which will be less than half the cost of the 413 forged - in 15x7 - 5/2 and 15x10 - 5/5 or 6/4 - those will be out August/Sept. time frame. No weights on those yet - but the 409 bead grips in same sizes are 15.7 lbs. for 15x7-5/2 fronts and 17.9 lbs for 15x10 - 5/5 rears for a 4 bolt configuration - which are a good estimate of what the 414's will be. For Methods this will be the value choice and you probably don't need beadlocks for the sand.
I'm a fan of Method's Bead Grip wheels. I have the 409's in 15x8 front and rear on an XPT. If you've ever tried removing a tire from a Bead Grip wheel, you'll know it works as designed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just sent a note off to the Packard guys- I’m going to try some of their carbon wheels and their front and rear tires. Thinking 4.5x4.5 fronts and 4.5x5.5 rears but want to get their input before I spend the coin… They sure are pretty. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted to start a thread about sand tires for the Pro R.

I am thinking that because of the fairly wide range of its CVT...ie it starts out pretty low geared, that a 32 or 33 inch tire package is going to be the cats meow.

Though I know that opinions differ....I prefer some sort of traction tire on the front end, and driving in 4x4 most of the time unless just goofing around. In testing up steep hills on similarly powered machines...being in 4x4 is quickest to the top of the hill.

System 3 recommends their 33" SS360 tires with the definite use of the HP version on the rear.

I also see that Packard makes a 33" sand-lite tire accompanied by a appropriately sized steer tire.

I think it might be interesting to run one of these in the rear accompanied by a SS360 on the front.
The Packard is a 15" wide rear tire...so running the 33x12-15 in the front might work nicely...but not sure how the 15" rear tire would work on my 10" wide rims though.

I don't want this thread to get too carried away with wheels...as this can become a little off point...but I followed SXS Blogs example and ordered 5x4.5 bolt pattern wheels from Jegs at under $600 for all four wheels...a couple of 15x10's and a couple of 15x8's with both being on zero offset.

Anyone have thoughts or already have observations on this topic for the Pro R specifically?

Chris
I’m curious how this combination worked out. Mostly curious on the rim width and the tire width. Did you have any issues? I’m thinking of going with the same size set up with the exception of the tire height being 32 inches instead of the 33 inches you went with.

·
CB-BLR
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I’m curious how this combination worked out. Mostly curious on the rim width and the tire width. Did you have any issues? I’m thinking of going with the same size set up with the exception of the tire height being 32 inches instead of the 33 inches you went with.
The rim width for the JEGS star lights (approx. $140 per wheel) was 8" in the front, and 10" in the rear. I really love the 33" Packard's in the rear. Because all of the tire companies measure their tires differently...I went and measured a bunch of them mounted. The 33 Packard's have a 31" carcass, with 1" paddles...making the entire tire 33" from paddle tip to paddle tip. The 32" SS360's also have a 31" carcass with 1/2" paddles making its outside diameter measure 32". But both these tires have 31" Carcasses, just different size paddles. Having said all of this, I was disappointed in the performance of the front SS360's. The Pro R is a heavy car, and the Packard's have a lot of bite...they can, during aggressive driving, push the ss360's in corners more than I would like. You can feel the ss360's slide sideways during hard cornering. After some research looking for a ribbed traction tire with a 31" Carcass...I picked up a set of 32 GMZ XL TT tires for the front, and absolutely love them. Their Carcass also measures 31 inches. They have the traction that I crave, and make the car corner like it is on rails. The tire width of the Packard's is advertised at 15 inches, but they measure 14 inches wide on my rims. The GMZ's are 12 inches wide. This car is heavy...and needs wide tires for flotation in my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The rim width for the JEGS star lights (approx $140 per wheel) was 8" in the front, and 10" in the rear. I really love the 33" Packards in the rear. Because all of the tire companies measure their tires differently...I went and measured a bunch of them mounted. The 33 Packards have a 31" carcass, with 1" paddles...making the entire tire 33" from paddle tip to paddle tip. The 32" SS360's also have a 31" carcass with 1/2" paddles making its outside diameter measure 32". But both these tires have 31" Carcasses, just different size paddles. Having said all of this, I was disappointed in the performance of the front SS360's. The Pro R is a heavy car, and the Packards have a lot of bite...they can, during aggressive, driving push the ss360's in corners more than I would like. You can feel the ss360's slide sideways during hard cornering. After some research looking for a ribbed traction tire with a 31" Carcass...I picked up a set of GMZ XL TT tires for the front, and absolutely love them. They have the traction that I crave, and make the car corner like it is on rails. The tire width of the Packards is advertised at 15 inches, but they measure 14 inches wide on my rims. The GMZ's are 12 inches wide. This car is heavy...and needs wide tires for flotation in my opinion.
I'm glad you posted that. The GMZ XL TT are the ones I'm putting on the front with my SKAT paddles.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts