Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple weeks off the first of Oct. and am considering taking a trip down to Sand Mountain to try it out.

Is Sand Mountain worth a few hundred mile drive? If I do this, I won't be taking the toy hauler, thinking about just loading up the flatbed trailer and staying at a hotel in Fallon.

Any permits needed? Are Oregon ATV permits acceptable in NV?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You need to buy the day use or weekly permits at the kiosk , if no one is there just deposit the money in the envelope provided.
I would recommend you take the toy hauler. It's much easier to stay on the sand. Since Fallon is not that close and makes it a bit cumbersome. You can use most of the trails from the camp area to get to all the great sites. I'd consider joining you if other people were going. The normal busy time is Halloween but this year I can't get the time off but the first few weeks of October are free and I would make the swing down if there was a few people staying a week.
The dunes themselves are smaller than st Anthony or even Oregon dunes. But the trail network and the desert environments really have it a favorite place for me to go.
Let me know and I'll for sure join in.

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kevin for the info.

Still trying to decide what I am goin to do. I originally thought about just staying at Winchester, but have the urge to try somewhere new to me.

Do you take dirt tires for the trail riding? I assume you do for the desert trails. (probably a dumb ?)

Probably won't know where I am going to go till later in the week. I am bad at planning and like to do things spur of the moment.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm the same way. I had a recent change in job locations so I can't go till oct 26-29 area. But I am going to sand mountain then. But as for Winchester. I'll be there on October 6-7 as long as I get the turbo issue fixed.

Kevin

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes I take dirt tires for that. It's the only way or the paddles get destroyed. I'll be going then but can't take another rzr with me or I'd offer you a ride. But your welcome to join me. The Halloween event I'm going has over 20 people ill be meeting up with. It's a huge event. Well worth the drive.

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Me and a couple other RZR's will be at Sand Mountain October 12-18. We have Moho's pulling covered trailers. Stop by and say hi or ride with us.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wished I could get the time off to go at Holloween. I have met and rode with a few of those that will be down there. Should be a blast.

Radioflyer....Thanks for the offer, but decided today to spend a few days at Winchester. Leaving tomorrow. Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime on the future. If you guys ride Winchester much, I do a lot of trips there. Usually stay at Half Moon.

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
i just got back from sand mtn the area is small but their are hundreds of miles of desert trails the main hill is about 800 ft but varies it has been over 1000 ft at times very steep fallon is only 24 miles away so realy not that far...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wished I could get the time off to go at Holloween. I have met and rode with a few of those that will be down there. Should be a blast.

Radioflyer....Thanks for the offer, but decided today to spend a few days at Winchester. Leaving tomorrow. Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime on the future. If you guys ride Winchester much, I do a lot of trips there. Usually stay at Half Moon.
I own property at Spinreel with direct access to the dunes. Only ever get to Winchester for the occasional day run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts