Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here and new to RZR's but I have had ATV's for the past 25 years. I've been riding sport ATV's mostly for the past 20 years but since I am getting older, ripping around on a Raptor 700 hurts anymore. I started looking at RZR's about 6 months ago and knew I wanted a 900 trail, however, I did not want to spend $13k+ on a new machine and even used machines were $10k+. I'm a handy guy and I figured I would look at salvage machines. So the search was on. You guys must be rough on machines because there sure are lots of wrecked RZR's out there. I bid on a couple different RZR's over the past couple months but they ended going higher than camel pu$$y. Then I found this one:

The listing for the auction was vague at best. It's a 2016 but was listed as non running, non driving, unknown mileage, but had a key? The pics they take at copart are not high resolution. When you zoom in on them they get pixelated and you can't see much detail. This RZR was located in Chicago (about 4.5 hours for me) so I was not driving to inspect it. I figured I'd roll the dice. Worse case scenario it had some frame damage and something muffed up with the engine/trans. I came up with a # I was willing to spend ($6000 with fees) so I bid accordingly. Well, I won the auction at $5200 but did not meet the reserve of $6k. I did not accept the reserve price but about 5 minutes after auction, the seller offered $5600 and I accepted that. Add in the $900 in fees and I was at $6500, A little more than I wanted but not bad.

I saw another "copart rebuild" thread in the 900s section so I figured I could document mine aswell. Moderators, can you please leave this in the General RZR section as this could pertain to any salvage RZR rebuild?

I will add more to this later to build some suspense:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Find a bunch of used stock parts. Be into it for cheap

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad you decided to create your build thread. It's tough winning a bid at a fair price with Copart, but looks like you got a deal. Looking forward to seeing the before and after!

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,084 Posts
It won't start because it is missing a brake caliper. There is a switch on the master cylinder that prevents you from starting the RZR without stepping on the brakes.

It is a pressure switch, so with an open line, there is no pressure, so it won't start. You can bypass that pretty easily.

If you need any help with the rebuild, let us know. We do a lot of insurance repairs here locally and are happy to help someone do the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It won't start because it is missing a brake caliper. There is a switch on the master cylinder that prevents you from starting the RZR without stepping on the brakes.

It is a pressure switch, so with an open line, there is no pressure, so it won't start. You can bypass that pretty easily.

If you need any help with the rebuild, let us know. We do a lot of insurance repairs here locally and are happy to help someone do the same.
That was one of the issues why it wouldn't start.:D I'll add more later today.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Good luck with the build! A word of caution for anyone considering this- be sure you understand your states tilting/ registration requirements and nonrepairable titles. Certain title types in some states can not be retitled or registered.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, Where did I leave off? Oh yeah, I bought a wrecked RZR without even looking at it first:doh:. So After I bought it I planed a day trip to Chicago to pick the thing up. On the way there to pick it up, the closer we got to Chicago the more nervous I became. All I was thinking to myself was: "What the hell did I just spend $6500 on?" and "I'm gonna get burned on this deal". So we pull into the Copart lot and go inside. I give the guy the paperwork and he proceeds to tell me that the "item" is listed as "heavy" and that they can't help me load. WTF? I asked him why they couldn't pick it up with their front end loader? He said "because it's heavy"...well I guess there was a mix up (imagine that) and Copart got it wrong...it wasn't "heavy" and a very nice LADY put it on my trailer with the loader. She knew what she was doin too! I was impressed.

After it was loaded I was able to inspect it a little bit while I was strapping it down. Low and behold I did not see any frame damage:eek:k:...that was a huge relief. I was unable to do a through inspection because they had the RZR shrink wrapped so I was unable to see the interior. I was dying to know why it wouldn't start but I figured that would just have to wait till I got home. So we did that...headed home.

We made it about 1/2 way home when the shrink wrap came loose and we had to stop. We pulled into a parking lot and pulled the wrap off. Then I did some more inspecting. I check the oil and it was good, stuck the key in and got nothing when I turned it. I started looking for the battery, thinking maybe it need a jump. I finally found where the battery was supposed to be. See, my problem was that it didn't have a battery. I put a jump pack on the terminals and it dash lit up.

Only 185 miles! score!

I tried to start it but all I heard was a click. I did try to hold the brake on to start but still got nothing. So I did a little Google search while eating lunch and thats when I found out about the brake pressure switch.

We drove the rest of the way home and I unloaded the RZR with my Bobcat. Once it was in the shop, I cut a short piece of MIG wire and jumped the brake switch. It started right up after that. That was a good feeling!

Here is some pics of the damage.

I didn't tare it apart that day but I did start ordering parts that night. I figured with it being so new, I would go with OEM parts.

Over the next couple days I took off all the broken parts and there really were not many. When I first bought this thing I thought I would be working on it for a month or so. That wasn't the case at all because there really wasn't much wrong with it.

Broken Parts:

As you can see, I got off pretty cheap here. In total I spent just over $1000 in parts. And that was with OEM Polaris parts. I probably could have gotten by cheaper with some aftermarket stuff. The plastic fender could have been replaced but I just screwed it back on...good enough.

While I was working on it I discovered this bonus:

I now have a 2016, 185 mile, 21 hour RZR for about $7500.

I lucked out on this deal and I would not recommend buying anything "salvage" without inspecting it first. As mentioned before, know your laws about the title before you buy. I have no idea why they totaled my RZR. The repair estimate on the Copart listing was $8k and it wasn't even close to that.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
8k to fix? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but more than likely the frame is bent. Did you measure to be sure the frame is within spec?But on the bright side , I would suspect that most every utv frame is bent somewhere. They are all weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8k to fix? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but more than likely the frame is bent. Did you measure to be sure the frame is within spec?But on the bright side , I would suspect that most every utv frame is bent somewhere. They are all weak.

Can you come measure it for me...I don't know the "specs":icon_rolleyes:

There is always someone to rain on your parade

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Yeah its not new we get that, just don't get pissed because he didn't pay RZR tax on it.:cool:

·
"Oath Keeper"
1,013 Posts

Can you come measure it for me...I don't know the "specs":icon_rolleyes:

There is always someone to rain on your parade
Every forum has them and you will quickly learn who they are on this forum, as they are clueless.

Good find and a great job of putting a "new" RZR back on the road for less than ½ the $$$ that clueless Dizzledog1 paid for his.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts