Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Polaris 2021 Pro XP 4 Premium
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember some of my posts here about the S&B Under Fender Particle Seperator not removing dust. I have since upgraded to the S&B Rollbar mount Particle Seperator.

I ride mostly in southwest Arizonia which is extremely dusty. Here are photos of my air box after riding 500+ miles with the S&B rollbar unit.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Hood Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk

Here are photos of my air box after riding 100+ miles with the S&B Under Fender unit.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

You be the judge of which unit performs the best.

·
Registered
2022 Rzr Pro XP Ultimate
622 Posts
Some of you might remember some of my posts here about the S&B Under Fender Particle Seperator not removing dust. I have since upgraded to the S&B Rollbar mount Particle Seperator.

I ride mostly in southwest Arizonia which is extremely dusty. Here are photos of my air box after riding 500+ miles with the S&B rollbar unit.
View attachment 706408
View attachment 706407

Here are photos of my air box after riding 100+ miles with the S&B Under Fender unit.
View attachment 706410
View attachment 706411
View attachment 706409

You be the judge of which unit performs the best.
Nice! Can you post a photos of how you mounted the separator and routed the hose to the intake?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m having the same issues with my under the fender unit. I’ve already dealt with them once and they made me replace the seal on the blower. Do you think if I ask to exchange this for the rollbar they will? Or am I gonna have to jump through all the same hoops?
Also how was the install? Did any of the previous wiring work or did you have to rewire everything?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You hit a sore point between me and S&B.

Yes after about eight months of replacing parts and S&B installing a completely new under fender unit, they did let me exchange my under fender unit for the rollbar unit. Shorty after installing the rollbar unit the CEO from S&B called me and 'asked' me to quit telling everyone about the exchange for the rollbar unit. By 'asked' I mean he told me not to talk about it in no uncertain terms.

My neighbor was also involved with his under fender unit. He called S&B and was told no way they would exchange his unit. I think there is one YouTuber that has managed to get an exchange. But I have not heard of anyone else. I doubt you will be successful getting an exchange. My neighbor's under fender unit was installed by the dealer when he purchased his Pro XP 4. He's trying to get the dealer to exchange it. Nothing has happened yet.

S&B is aware of issues with the under fender unit in dusty conditions. But they will not admit that publicly. Their under fender unit accounts for over 90% of sales for the XP Pro. They also claim only a very few are complaining about these issues. You'd think if there are that few complaints S&B would be more willing to exchange unit. But they are not willing too. At one point these issues will hurt them. That's all I'll say.

If you have replaced the seal, there is also the seal on the air box and a wiring harness that eliminates the variable speed fan controller. The fan will operate at full speed all the time. S&B will also claim your factory air box is warped causing these issues. After numerous photos of my air box, they admitted my air box was not the problem.

As far as differences between the two. The under fender unit has a slightly shorter wiring harness. The rollbar mount is easy to install. Since I have the Polaris flip up spare tire mount, running the intake hose required running the hose through the rear rollbar. I had to slightly crush the hose were it went through the rollbar near the spare tire mount. You can see the phots in an answer from me earlier in this thread.

I still have the complete under fender unit. I won't sell it or even give it away because of these issues and the S&B attitude.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All you guys need to band together. Lots of bad publicity, or the threat of it, goes a long way. I almost pulled the trigger on the under fender unit when first released. So glad I didnt.
Getting S&B to publicly admit thete is a problem isn't going to happen. In fact S&B is pushing forward with the same basic under fender design fir the Pro R.

It all boils down to what 'looks' cool regardless if it works or not. S&B just got a contract from Ford for a factory particle seperator on Ford trucks. Seems that ego is taking control over design issues.

Too bad...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s what I tapped out of my filter after 400 miles of dusty conditions. This was after the upgraded gasket
This was tapped out of my air filter with about 100+ miles. Just for size comparison, the blue tape is 1 inch diameter. With the gasket, harness, new intake housing and new faceplate for the particle separator.

With all the things S&B tried, there was never any improvement.

Water Liquid Fluid Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im 6'3' tall how close is it to your helmet? Also I wish they would come out with something to clean the air going into the clutch housing for the pro xp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im 6'3' tall how close is it to your helmet? Also I wish they would come out with something to clean the air going into the clutch housing for the pro xp.
I have re-adjusted mine to be further back and up behind the top roll bar after the initial install. On the photo you can see that there is a lot more adjustment available to have it even further back and still much higher. Those brackets can rotate on the roll bar, and adjust in and out. So if you fit, with helmet, under your standard top roll bar, you can adjust the S&B so it will not be a problem.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’m just not convinced that the separator is not working. I’m suspicious that the issue is far more to do with location. The fender mounted version has the intake in a very dusty location. The roll bar version inherently is exposed to far less dust. S&B claims their separator removes 94% of the dust, not 100%. So, that means 6% is planned to get by. So, my question is… Is the fender model working properly and the results that end up in your filter the expected 6%? After all, 6% of a little dust is WAY less than 6% off a LOT of dust.

It seems to me this would be easy to test and verify if S&B wanted to do so. I just wonder why they haven’t…

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m just not convinced that the separator is not working. I’m suspicious that the issue is far more to do with location. The fender mounted version has the intake in a very dusty location. The roll bar version inherently is exposed to far less dust. S&B claims their separator removes 94% of the dust, not 100%. So, that means 6% is planned to get by. So, my question is… Is the fender model working properly and the results that end up in your filter the expected 6%? After all, 6% of a little dust is WAY less than 6% off a LOT of dust.

It seems to me this would be easy to test and verify if S&B wanted to do so. I just wonder why they haven’t…
You're correct about location being the issue. The under fender unit is just getting overwhelmed with amount of dust.

I mention the location as being the problem of the under fender unit many times to S&B. They insisted everytime that is not the problem. They told me the worked with Polaris in developing the under fender unit using the factory location. Their final word is the location is not the problem.

So if the location is not the issue, then what is? To me that only leaves the particle seperator.

For over eight months I worked with S&B on this issue. Their customer service was fantastic. I did every mod they suggested. S&B also came to my house and did every mod they had. They even came to my house and installed a brand new under fender unit themselves.

No matter what they did, nothing stopped the amount of dust entering my air box.

My post at the start of this thread shows my experience with both the under fender unit and the rollbar unit. It's up to the reader here to decide which unit works better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could it maybe also be that there is excessive heat in that area, being right above the exhaust? Heat would soften the plastic housing to some extend, might even warp it a bit, and that would be all that's required for the dust to get sucked in past the sealed areas. IDK?

·
Registered
230 Posts

I think it's 100% a design flaw, the Pro xp fender unit being 2 body pieces joined by a seal surrounded by dust , water and heat in my mind is prone to trouble and warping ..
Having said that , the unit they are designing for the Pro r is mounted similar but the write up on their website is most interesting...looks like a fully contained unit and each one will be tested at the facility....doesn't mention that at all with the Pro xp.
Font Publication Book Document Number

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Could it maybe also be that there is excessive heat in that area, being right above the exhaust? Heat would soften the plastic housing to some extend, might even warp it a bit, and that would be all that's required for the dust to get sucked in past the sealed areas. IDK?
Heat isn't an issue. It's located almost a foot away from the exhaust and doesn't get warm at all.

It's been apart numerous times and nothing is warped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts