Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am running the separator just below the roof line on my xp1000 in heavy az dust and I am getting fine dust on the filter and the inside of the filter housing. I am wondering if mounting the unit on top above the roof line will help or hurt. I have a full windshield and back Polaris net which is cut out for the front of the separator. Has anyone changed to the top of the roof. I worry about hitting low branches. The inside of my cab gets full of dust so I wear a helmet blower.
I have the Polaris metal roof that slopes up in the back, did you have to cut the roof to mount the unit up high.
Forgot to add what happens if the unit is mounted above the roof and it rains, does the filter get wet?
Mounting it above the roof line will not hurt at all. I did ask S&B about the water question. I was told when you are driving the separator will get the water out just like the dust. Now mine is at the roof line so if I have mine on my open trailer and driving through rain I do need to cover the intake of the separator. Water can get to the air filter box.

S&B does sell an extension to be able to not have to cut any part of your roof. As far as leaves getting into the unit I am sure it could happen but it is nothing I'm worried about. If I am riding where there are a lot of low hanging limbs 1. I'm driving slow 2. If leaves did make it into the unit it would take A LOT of crap getting into the separator to cause any air issues. Also easy to clean out the unit if some leaves did find their way in.

Bottom line for me is any draw back the separator might have the benefits are just so far superior for what it does for my machine.

·
Portugal
51 Posts
I also have this S&B and is mounted on top side of the frame.
It allows very easily for a tire rack in place.
I just come out of 2.500 km in Morocco where the sand is so thin that goes inside the lamps and the S&B played wonderfully well.

2 years now and I am only on my 2nd filter ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am running the particle separator on my 2016 xp1000 but still more dust in filter box than I should have. My installer thinks I might not have the filter cover on tight. He says you can add some extra springs on the cover. I noticed there are places on the side which look like spring clip mounting points. Has anyone added more springs or found a better cover.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
S&B Particle Separator first real test

I got my particle separator installed yesterday , I added the switch in line that they have just in case didn’t like the sound while sitting. I also added a piece of 1 3/4 piece of tubing that I powered coated to mount on to get the location that I wanted . I will get some pictures posted later today , I mostly ride in the desert southwest and looking forward to testing this out this winter , I mounted this on a 2018 XTP .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: S&B Particle Separator first real test

I got my particle separator installed yesterday , I added the switch in line that they have just in case didn’t like the sound while sitting. I also added a piece of 1 3/4 piece of tubing that I powered coated to mount on to get the location that I wanted . I will get some pictures posted later today , I mostly ride in the desert southwest and looking forward to testing this out this winter , I mounted this on a 2018 XTP .

I like the way you did your cross-bar, but might see a problem that could take away some of your performance at faster speeds. From the first picture, it appears the flared up portion of the rear of the roof will be creating a low pressure area in front of your intake. The air will be getting deflected above the intake, like you see on the cab of a semi-trailer trying redirect airflow around the trailer. From the front picture, part of the intake is visible, but since the intake sits several inches behind the roof, air will be getting directed over the intakes that are visible as speed increases. This creates a low pressure area, and turbulent airflow of the air that does make it into the intake. The fan will help overcome some of this, but a positive pressure (think ram air) and smooth airflow pattern into any intake helps produce more power as speed (ram pressure) increases. A simple fix could be to cut your roof line in front of the intake up to where the raised part of the roof starts, and bend that section down to allow smooth airflow into all the intake ports of the separator. If you were doing rock crawling and slower speed riding, I wouldn't bother, but if you do a lot of higher speed stuff, it could give you a few extra HPs.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I like the way you did your cross-bar, but might see a problem that could take away some of your performance at faster speeds. From the first picture, it appears the flared up portion of the rear of the roof will be creating a low pressure area in front of your intake. The air will be getting deflected above the intake, like you see on the cab of a semi-trailer trying redirect airflow around the trailer. From the front picture, part of the intake is visible, but since the intake sits several inches behind the roof, air will be getting directed over the intakes that are visible as speed increases. This creates a low pressure area, and turbulent airflow of the air that does make it into the intake. The fan will help overcome some of this, but a positive pressure (think ram air) and smooth airflow pattern into any intake helps produce more power as speed (ram pressure) increases. A simple fix could be to cut your roof line in front of the intake up to where the raised part of the roof starts, and bend that section down to allow smooth airflow into all the intake ports of the separator. If you were doing rock crawling and slower speed riding, I wouldn't bother, but if you do a lot of higher speed stuff, it could give you a few extra HPs.
You are correct. I did not want to cut my roof so I just installed it as high as I could. I can tell you I get a huge amount of air to the filter compared to the stock air intake system.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Laying a scale on the lip of roof the upper row gets hit pretty good the lower is a few inches behind the rear window. Not really worried about the ram air as much as the dust . The other day now that I am close to having it broken in I hit 76 mph with a lot of pedal left over . I know it will make the middle 80s way more than I will ever need .

·
Turbomike
140 Posts
How complicated is the electrical hook up ? I run my turbo in dusty areas....like talcum powder dust. My filters get hammered in one day. Would the separator work for that?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How complicated is the electrical hook up ? I run my turbo in dusty areas....like talcum powder dust. My filters get hammered in one day. Would the separator work for that?
My skill on wiring is on a scale 1 not knowing anything to 10 being able to wire a house I am a 4. The wiring harness for the S&B is extremely well made and took me longer to zip tie the wires to make them not noticeable then to do the whole wiring set up.

One bit of advice is to have an extra set of hands to help on the particle install. Also the install video for me was easier to use to do the install then the instruction sheet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just my .02 on the performance loss concerns. I have yet to see anyone provide any evidence regarding power loss (only opinion) and I have no evidence myself one way or another (although I do sell and use them), but you should also consider the losses you will be experiencing as the air-filter accumulates silt. I would assume the ability to maintain a clean air-filter and consistent performance during you ride (many rides actually), would be a benefit everyone can appreciate.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
S&B Particle Separator first real test

Mike , I wired mine with a switch to turn off when setting at idle . Even with that it was very simple . I added one this summer can’t wait to try it out this winter in Arizona. We get a lot of the talcum powder dust out there. That will be the real test for me !

·
Registered
114 Posts

After several months of research, and a good tip from a friend ,for a discount mine is on order

Archaic thread, but any more "tips"? Just came across this thread whilst searching for "S&B" PS and "windshield"...

·
Registered
221 Posts

After several months of research, and a good tip from a friend ,for a discount mine is on order

Archaic thread, but any more "tips"? Just came across this thread whilst searching for "S&B" PS and "windshield"...
I am hoping for this "tip" as well? anyone know of a way to get a discount on the S & B particle separator? I ride with groups of people in very dusty places and my filters are always shot after a weekend riding. would love to add this

21 - 35 of 35 Posts