·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reactions: RZR_Joe

·
Registered
764 Posts
Google NC Senate Bill 241. It says it does not include All-Terrain Vehicles plus you have to have an emergency brake which no SxS has.

·
Super Moderator
6,943 Posts
t says it does not include All-Terrain Vehicles plus you have to have an emergency brake which no SxS has.
A sxs is a UTV not an ATV and it says "parking brake....big differences, SXSs will be legal 10/1/21

Short Title:Modify Utility Vehicle Definition.
(Public)Sponsors:Senators Jarvis, Sawyer, and Johnson (Primary Sponsors).Referred to:*DRS35103-NE-17B*A BILL TO BE ENTITLED1AN ACT AMENDING MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS REGULATING MODIFIED UTILITY 2VEHICLES.

3The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
4SECTION 1.G.S.20-4.01(27)reads as rewritten:5"(27)Passenger Vehicles. –6...7g2.Modified utility vehicle. –A motor vehicle that (i) is manufactured for 8off-road use with equipment required by G.S.20-121.1(2), except a 9vehicle identification number, and (ii) has four wheels, an engine 10displacement greater than 2,400cubic centimeters, an overall length 11of 142110 inches or greater, an overall width of 58inches or greater, 12an overall height of 70 inches or greater, a maximum speed capability 13of 40 miles per hour or greater, and does not require an operator or 14passenger to straddle a seat. "Modified utility vehicle"does not include 15an all-terrain vehicle, golf cart, or utility vehicle, as defined in this 16section, or a riding lawn mower.17...."18SECTION 2.G.S.20-121.1 reads as rewritten:19"§ 20-121.1. Operation of a low-speed vehicle, mini-truck, or modified utility vehicle on 20certain roadways.21The operation of a low-speed vehicle, mini-truck, or modified utility vehicle is authorized 22with the following restrictions:23(1)A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the 24posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. A mini-truck or modified utility 25vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed 26limit is 55 miles per hour or less.less,but a modified utility vehicle shall not 27be operated on any street or highway having four or more lanesregardless of 28the posted speed limit.This subdivision does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle, 29mini-truck, or modified utility vehicle from crossing a road or street at an 30intersection where the road or street being crossed has a posted speed limit of 31morethan 35 miles per hour.32(2)A low-speed vehicle, mini-truck, or modified utility vehicleor mini-truck 33shall be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, 34reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield 35wipers, speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number. Any such 36FILED SENATEMar 11, 2021S.B. 241PRINCIPAL CLERK

General Assembly Of North CarolinaSession 2021Page 2DRS35103-NE-17Brequired equipment shall be maintained in proper working order.If a modified 1utility vehicle does not have a vehicle identification number, upon application 2by the owner, theDivision shall assign a vehicle identification number to the 3modified utility vehicle prior to registration.4(2a)A modified utility vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn 5signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, 6speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number. Any such 7required equipment shall be maintained in proper working order.If a modified 8utility vehicle does not have a vehicle identification number, upon application 9by the owner, the Division shall assign a vehicle identification number to the 10modified utility vehicle prior to registration.The operator of and all 11passengers on a modified utility vehicle that is not equipped with a windshield 12and windshield wipers shall wearasafety helmet, with a retention strap 13properly secured, that complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 14(FMVSS) 218.15...16(4)The Notwithstanding the provisions of any other subdivision of this section, 17the Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed 18vehicles, mini-trucks, or modified utility vehicles on any road or highway if it 19determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.20...."21SECTION 3.This act becomes effective October 1, 2021

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep, October 1st! Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have information on this? The wording of the Bill is weird. It states a minimum of 2400 cc's which makes no sense, I think they mean maximum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[
Does anybody have information on this? The wording of the Bill is weird. It states a minimum of 2400 cc's which makes no sense, I think they mean maximum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone staying current with this? I just wondered if you had been outfitting your rig to go and get it inspected to make this happen?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyone staying current with this? I just wondered if you had been outfitting your rig to go and get it inspected to make this happen?
Pretty much all you need is turn signals.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It says parking brake?
Yea, pretty sure park will be good enough. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea, pretty sure park will be good enough. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

What are you going to do about getting the inspection process started? I had been reading the Theft bureau will be doing the inspections but was not sure who to call to set it up?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What are you going to do about getting the inspection process started? I had been reading the Theft bureau will be doing the inspections but was not sure who to call to set it up?
First I have heard of that, I know before they changed the law, when it was only the Roxor, you could get them inspected at a normal inspection place. I have a friend that is sending inspection guys to class next week and they are going to ask the details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First I have heard of that, I know before they changed the law, when it was only the Roxor, you could get them inspected at a normal inspection place. I have a friend that is sending inspection guys to class next week and they are going to ask the details.

If you don't mind and remember do you mind sharing on here any details you find out! It will be a big help for us that are looking to do this. Thank youl

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you don't mind and remember do you mind sharing on here any details you find out! It will be a big help for us that are looking to do this. Thank youl
Of course, I plan to get mine inspected Oct 1st.

Reactions: PotatoC
21 - 34 of 34 Posts