Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the start of a new thread on the front diff engagement. Pirate and RZR-Joe have a good discussion going and I would like to know more. Don't know how to add their comments from another thread so maybe someone can do that??
My understanding is if you have the rear of the machine off the ground with the AWD switch on and working the front diff should engage if the rear wheels are spinning free while off the ground??? yes/no?:rollfinger:
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
must be said in the voice of Ed McMahon---"You are CORRECT, Sir"

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ken,

You are correct, but me damned careful...as MotoXXX says...its best to be sitting in the drivers seat...cuz its gonna take off across the garage!!!\

Myself, I'd get use concrete blocks under the four corners of the frame, behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. Then the machine is up off the floor, and safe to be around.

Have someone else in the drivers seat....with the AWD switch off, and in gear high or low, the rear wheels should be turning but the front wheels should be "freewheeling". Then might turn some, but you should be able to stop them with your hands.

Stop the rear wheels, engage the AWD switch, and with the RZR in gear add some throttle as speed builds some...don't get carried away...the front wheels should start to turn and you shouldn't be able to stop them with your hands.

PLEASE...Safety First!!! when you try this.

Pirate

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken,

You are correct, but me damned careful...as MotoXXX says...its best to be sitting in the drivers seat...cuz its gonna take off across the garage!!!\

Myself, I'd get use concrete blocks under the four corners of the frame, behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. Then the machine is up off the floor, and safe to be around.

Have someone else in the drivers seat....with the AWD switch off, and in gear high or low, the rear wheels should be turning but the front wheels should be "freewheeling". Then might turn some, but you should be able to stop them with your hands.

Stop the rear wheels, engage the AWD switch, and with the RZR in gear add some throttle as speed builds some...don't get carried away...the front wheels should start to turn and you shouldn't be able to stop them with your hands.

PLEASE...Safety First!!! when you try this.

Pirate
Yep, that is pretty much what I did. I did leave the fronts on the ground but I had the rear up on a dolly affair so it could roll ahead if I felt the fronts engage. No engagement so after removing it (the front diff). I think it is a weak or bad armature plate and coil. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Ken

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ken,

Do you still have the plastic Polaris sprague carrier? If that breaks, which is pretty common, they rollers are no longer in a place to lock up the front diff when the rear wheels spin.

The armature plate, which is linked by tabs to the sprague, and coil that creates a magnetic field that pulls the armature plate to the right creating a "drag" on the sprague. This positions the rollers for quickest lockup of the front diff.

Since you have the diff out, try energizing the coil and see if a magnetic field is created and if the armature plate is badly scarred up or bent.

In the past I left the AWD switch on all the time. Never had a problem. Since reading some of these posts on damaged armature plates, I leave the switch off until I get to the trail and then flip it on.

Just some thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
No need to even start the engine. Rear wheels jacked up off ground, ignition switch & 4wd turned on, roll rear tire's & if front diff is working it will start pulling car\jack forward. Safest way of doing it !!!!!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ken,

Do you still have the plastic Polaris sprague carrier? If that breaks, which is pretty common, they rollers are no longer in a place to lock up the front diff when the rear wheels spin.

The armature plate, which is linked by tabs to the sprague, and coil that creates a magnetic field that pulls the armature plate to the right creating a "drag" on the sprague. This positions the rollers for quickest lockup of the front diff.

Since you have the diff out, try energizing the coil and see if a magnetic field is created and if the armature plate is badly scarred up or bent.

In the past I left the AWD switch on all the time. Never had a problem. Since reading some of these posts on damaged armature plates, I leave the switch off until I get to the trail and then flip it on.

Just some thoughts,

Pirate
Actually I realized I still have some time on my extended warranty (5yrs) so I have it (just the diff) at the dealer. They have it apart and I will know more on Monday. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
No need to even start the engine. Rear wheels jacked up off ground, ignition switch & 4wd turned on, roll rear tire's & if front diff is working it will start pulling car\jack forward. Safest way of doing it !!!!!
I tried this method, and it IS safe and works beautifully! I would add to the above procedure by saying that you must, of course, have the gear-selector in high or low range when you do the test. Thanks BCRacing for sharing.........

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts