Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The 2012 King of the Hammers UTV race is in the bag. It was a tough one for LSR backed cars this year. We were looking to better our 3rd place finish in 2011, and it didn't happen this year. Brian Bush ended up with a DNF after he, and Co-driver Greg Frantz suffered a broken ball joint in the rock section named Elvis. The broken joint lead to other broken parts while the team tried to get themselves unstuck, but there just was no getting the car free without a serious rescue vehicle. They started on the pole, and ended up breaking while in 3rd place. They spent the remainder of the day helping cars get through the difficult section they ended up blocking.

The other LSR backed entry was driven and co-driven by Branden Sims and Dale Sims from Northern AZ ATV and Off-Road in their brand new RZR XP. They suffered a broken front drive shaft, broken tie rod, broken rear axle, and broken cv joints. They started mid pack and moved themselves into 3rd place, before broken parts ended their run for the checkers. Only 36% of the 39 UTV's finished the race, with the win going to Mitch Guthrie. It was a tough race!

Thanks to JoeyD of UTVUnderground for the pictures!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It worked really well, even with un-dialed shocks, as we didn't have time. We just changed the springs, and ran shocks that were tuned for the stock suspension. He said he was flying past the competition, as you can see in the video. We are making a few changes to the trailing arms (sway bar locations and plate size), and coming out with a heavy duty tie rod kit that still uses the correct pivot locations unlike most of the competitions HD tie rod kits. But since he caused so much damage, we are waiting on a bunch of OEM replacement parts so we can continue to test it. The rear cv joints got so hot, the boots melted themselves to the housing, and on the side the axle broke, the cv balls, cage and inner star were all red hot at one point, because they all melted together, and are blue now! The grease must have been wrong, not enough, or came out of that sucker. Never have i seen anything like it!

G-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Johnson Valley is full of whoops of all sizes. My XP would be all over the place. But the video showed the car just gliding over the trail. I was not sure if that is just how the video came out or if the suspension just works that good.
Does your long travel kit use stock shocks (as shocks are not included in the kit)? If not, what shock are recommended and how much?
Kinda scary about the rear CV's. Was that due to the longer travel (increased CV angle)???
I was thinking about upgrading to Cognito's. But now I may be thinking long travel...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, the car was able to fly over those bumps out there, and keep in mind, those shocks weren't dialed. They were off the shelf Fox shocks for the stock suspension, that we just did a quick spring change too, hoping they would be close enough.

So in answer to your questions, the stock shocks will bolt on using this kit. They will need to be changed to work how they should though. We will have re-valving and spring packages available through PEP UTV, so they will be dialed in perfectly, and you will also be able to get aftermarket Elka's or Fox aluminum body 2.0's with the position sensitivity like we used on this car. Shock options will range from about $1500 to $2450.

Our kits don't over travel the cv joints, and push them beyond their useable limits. I think we had problems because either the grease was wrong, not enough, or the boots came loose, and then they failed.

Here are a couple pics of the bad joint.. You can see the ball tracks of the inner star have puddled steel, and the cage and balls are deformed. This sucker was glowing red hot at one point!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Looks like Branden & Dales car worked well, sorry to hear about the mechanical difficulties! I can't say enough about the Sims, top notch people & I'm glad to see Branden do good!
Troy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts