Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
50,049 Posts
I'm just in the same place you are, and if you all have instagram polaris just post something today about this subject i think.
You said you would post the tech sheet ? What Happened?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm just in the same place you are, and if you all have instagram polaris just post something today about this subject i think.
Yeah I have Instagram and follow Polaris and there are no posts on something like this. And still no tech sheet as he promised.

Is there a bullshit button we can press for this troll??

·
Registered
130 Posts

Ground or tire up new platform

220 plus hp

no more cvt on this model

35 to 38 grand

Of course all other models will have a cvt, but the "flagship" in search of another word will be an actual transmission.

No I don't have photos, or a spec sheet. Nor am I a troll so save your attacks

But you bet your a$$ you can say you heard it from me first.

Knowing this I would still buy a 19' turbo or a 19' S, or for sure wait until the "bugs" of the first year are worked out. Or wait till the masses unload their 17's, 18's and 19's.

Enough insiders know this info, but for obvious reasons can't post it. I could care less about legal issues posting it. 2020, MAGA

·
Ricardo
27 Posts

220 plus hp

35 to 38 grand

Of course all other models will have a cvt, but the "flagship" in search of another word will be an actual transmission.

Knowing this I would still buy a 19' turbo or a 19' S, or for sure wait until the "bugs" of the first year are worked out. Or wait till the masses unload their 17's, 18's and 19's.

Enough insiders know this info, but for obvious reasons can't post it. I could care less about legal issues posting it. 2020, MAGA

finally someone who also knows this.
yes i don't care yo people get mad lol, just sharing what i know. no of course they don't want me to take a picture and share this but it is true so keep getting upset.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

220 plus hp

35 to 38 grand

yes i don't care yo people get mad lol, just sharing what i know. no of course they don't want me to take a picture and share this but it is true so keep getting upset.
Sounds possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heard the current models.. 18 or 19+ have larger belts.. As a certified Polaris belt technician/changer .. I'll take that title after 16 belts and a full kit to change them.. plus always 2 on the cage, it is the ONLY weak point in the vehicle IMO. I actually have recently burned 2 out in the dirt, but I suspect they were worn from being in the sand or not the 'correct' best belt.

Anyhow, having a cooling fan installed. I got lucky and picked up my Razor for a song and I don't REALLy feel like dumping $40k-$50k to have all the necessary extra's.. instead I'm getting a new TH.

I'm gonna .. sit n' wait.. maybe I'll buy a 2020 off of one of y'all for cheap in 2022.. ..

;-P

abc

·
Registered
27 Posts

220 plus hp

35 to 38 grand

Well, this is bullshit. Anyone with any kind of common sense should know Polaris is not going to come out with a new rzr and slap an MSRP of 35+ grand on it and expect to actually sell any units. I don't know anyone even willing to pay 30+ grand for a side x side, much less 35+. Maybe people out west have more money than sense, but you don't see anyone around here paying 30 grand for a new stock utv.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Berts Mega mall out west here.. This rig is obviously far from stock, but I've seen folks put $100k into a SXS.. A Rhino years ago believe it or not.. Hayabusa, widened, the whole shabang,.. and it NEVER worked right, dude dumped it for $16k!

... Offroading can easily separate you from your money if you're not careful.

abc

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts

220 plus hp

35 to 38 grand

Well, this is bullshit. Anyone with any kind of common sense should know Polaris is not going to come out with a new rzr and slap an MSRP of 35+ grand on it and expect to actually sell any units. I don't know anyone even willing to pay 30+ grand for a side x side, much less 35+. Maybe people out west have more money than sense, but you don't see anyone around here paying 30 grand for a new stock utv.
Sorry to disagree with your opinion, but more than "people out west" pay well over 30 grand for utv's presently. Not sure if you have priced the canned hams or the rzr S, but we are already over the 30 G threshold nation wide in the utv retail market. Add a real tranny and you will see people nation wide paying whatever the market produces, as long as you can walk in and sign a piece of paper allowing you to make payments, we will see folks making these purchases. I'm not implying that I condone these prices, but I'm a capitalist and have no class envy of people who want and can afford whatever makes them happy. 2020 MAGA

·
Registered
203 Posts
I completely understand where you're coming from, I live on the East Coast as well. But it wouldn't surprise me at all, them building a "flagship" model at that price, folks already spend thousands above the purchase price for accessories, so why wouldn't Polaris want a bigger cut of the pie?

Kind of sucks too, but with the cost of living gap so great between East Coast and West Coast a $35k toy isn't that far fetched, unfortunately, its us guys on the East Coast that get the losing end. Im willing to bet some of those West Coast sand rails at the dunes cost more than a lot of East Coast homes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I completely understand where you're coming from, I live on the East Coast as well. But it wouldn't surprise me at all, them building a "flagship" model at that price, folks already spend thousands above the purchase price for accessories, so why wouldn't Polaris want a bigger cut of the pie?

Kind of sucks too, but with the cost of living gap so great between East Coast and West Coast a $35k toy isn't that far fetched, unfortunately, its us guys on the East Coast that get the losing end. Im willing to bet some of those West Coast sand rails at the dunes cost more than a lot of East Coast homes.
Cost more than a home, you bet,.. but it's the MAINTENANCE that will KILL YOU with a high dollar sand car.. Folks would ask what it costs, when I had mine and I'd say, $2500 per trip (cause that was like an average for me). I had a blast with it for 3 years, but have ZERO regrets selling it and running the SXS. I have just as much fun and I can go do so many more things. So versatile. I'm glad they got better than those garbage Rhinos.

I paid $20k for my (used) SXS about 3 years ago and maybe have spent $5k on maintenance, tires and repairs. I'm SO happy with it. I was the biggest SXS hater on the planet and am totally eating my words and loving every minute of it.

abc

PS. Not a fan of the CanAm. Makes great power, but it's too low to the ground and the arms are garbage.. buddy of mine hit a witch eye in the sand and taco'd the front arms and bent the frame, first trip with it... and no insurance.. UGH!!

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts

Cost more than a home, you bet,.. but it's the MAINTENANCE that will KILL YOU with a high dollar sand car.. Folks would ask what it costs, when I had mine and I'd say, $2500 per trip (cause that was like an average for me). I had a blast with it for 3 years, but have ZERO regrets selling it and running the SXS. I have just as much fun and I can go do so many more things. So versatile. I'm glad they got better than those garbage Rhinos.

I paid $20k for my (used) SXS about 3 years ago and maybe have spent $5k on maintenance, tires and repairs. I'm SO happy with it. I was the biggest SXS hater on the planet and am totally eating my words and loving every minute of it.

abc

PS. Not a fan of the CanAm. Makes great power, but it's too low to the ground and the arms are garbage.. buddy of mine hit a witch eye in the sand and taco'd the front arms and bent the frame, first trip with it... and no insurance.. UGH!!
Long-time-no-chat ABC, funny to find you over here. FWIW I still dune with Allen that bought your SCU, he's refreshing the motor this off-season but it's been a great car.

Like you said though, the upkeep on the big sand cars is the killer. Allen has been "lucky" with your old car, but it all catches up eventually. I'm done with the risk of $5k+ trans rebuilds and $10k+ motor rebuilds being an ever-season event... for now. I also had gone down the whole bad ass big diesel pusher and stacker road too. I just really went full Glamis Lyfe for a few years there.

It was great, especially when I could spend 90+ days/season in G. But I've sort of re-focused and backed-down my program. We went back to a 5'er and chose a small-ish one (Envy 34A) so we can get into more remote places and parks. We live 1.5hrs from tons of great camping and riding in the Tahoe National Forrest area, but 12 hours from G. I think next year we're going to do less G and I'd rather have "my own" RZR than share one for the dirt season.

"Someday" I figure I'll get back in a big rail, but right now I'm running a little BFD Revo w/ a Supercharged Ecotec and a Magnum 44 trans (uses a Dana 44 R&P/diff and Mendeola E-box gear-stack). It's a ton of fun (short wheelbase, Dunesports like a Funco, turns around on a dime) but straight-line it's really hardly faster than a tuned XPT. For pure-duning the BFD is more fun (and comfortable) but I'm not sure I can justify keeping it. We also have a '18 XPT Fox Edition as her dune ride (aka my backup dune ride when I break the rail) and our dirt toy. Like I said, I know I'll want my own dirt toy, but I also don't think I want to go back up to 3 offroad toys (for a long time I had a '15 XP 1000, '16 XPT and my big LS7-powered Potter PX2 sand rail).

So, I think I'm going to sell the BFD and use that money for a '19 Turbo S (trying to get back on-topic here ;) ). I'm in the same boat as the OP where I kind of wondered if I should just wait and see what comes out in 2020. I've been "burned" by the constant Polaris updates before. I bought a '16 XPT then the '17s came out with improvements, which was a bummer. Then we got our '18 XPT Fox Edition and the S came out 6 months later. Out first these things bugged me, but honestly I'm just kind of over it. So I think I'll just get a '19, and if it's "outdated" within a year who cares?

I don't think the XP4 Turbo S will be as fun as the BFD in Glamis, but it'll be plenty good for me to still have fun and go on every ride with my group (which includes Twin Turbo LS Funcos and stuff). I'm not saying I can hang 1:1 with the TT V8 Funco, but I can keep up on any group ride even when I'm the only RZR with our current '18 XPT Fox. Heck, I can lose a lot of rails w/ the Fox, the S will only be better.

Anyway, to circle-back to the OP's questions...

Despite what people are claiming NOBODY (that will talk about it) knows what Polaris will do for 2020. With all the investment into the Turbo S development, then updating all XPs for '19 along with dealing with all the recalls I really don't see Polaris totally re-designing the 2020s. I expect maybe a HP bump, perhaps with a bit more displacement on the Turbo models (keep in mind they're 925cc right now so they still have room to "grow" before hitting the magic 1000cc threshold). That'd be the MOST I'd expect though, and even that might not be the case.

To me it's not worth waiting the extra year on a "what if." If the 2020 really is THAT much better I'll take the loss on the '19 I get and move up to one. But I'd be very surprised if that ends up being the case.

-TJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
TJ,

Glad to hear from you. Yup, I remember you buying all those toys. I just joined this site yesterday. Did Glamis twice this season as well as KOH. Also hit the Lidel Creek wash which my Mom's house in Rialto backs up to. My Razor is the 'belt burner' in Glamis cause I stomp to hard on the gas and refuse to get sand tires, just air down.

Nice that Allen is enjoying the car. I pounded the HECK out of that thing, but ALWAYS spent top dollar maintaining and improving the beast.

As for the topic, I like the 'wait and see' approach. As you have stated, most 1st generations (that is if they lose the CVT) have issues.

Best,

abc

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you read my original post I clearly state;

"no more cvt on this model"

What I should have wrote is;

Don't worry all you na-sayers, doubters, haters, class envy peeps, easy coast mud slingers, belt burning left coasters, etc, etc...lol (if none of these apply to you thats OK)
but Polaris will still make all sorts of utv's, and they all will have cvt's and they all will cost considerably less than this new "flagship name unknown at this time of mere specualtion" This new vehicle is just the newest attempt to continue to dominate the utv market.

Long travel, heavier axles (because of the long travel they are longer hence heavier, lol) and a new front diff (because this is looooong overdue folks) None of this is awe inspiring, although very cool to have for some folks. While on the subject of long travel, if you missed how painfully obvious this was done to hail marry compete with the canned ham, well I'm sorry, your dense. Polaris is being forced to step up their collective game and stop calling new stickers a new model. And we can thank the competition, all of them for this, otherwise they would continue stringing us along. Why else to do you think the seats from 2014 to present day all fit, because they didn't need to change their marketing plan until real competition showed up to the party.

And in regards to the "S" and the "S" velocity, these are typical of Polaris feeding the consumers anything they can to keep one step ahead of the competition. Come on, look very closely at these vehicles,

Race inspired new performance driving position features standard 4-point harness and uncompromising sight-lines.

Really, yep that is right off one of their brochures on the S velocity. Hollywood central cast couldn't write a more cheesy upgrade.

Now before you dive head first into a hateful rant, I happen to like/love the S, and the S velocity. I am only pointing out that Polaris is the king of feeding little annual improvements to the masses, stringing us along with new and improved stickers. lol

Another one from the velocity brochure, instant classic;

Accessory ready. From dark and sinister to bold and brash-make it yours with more than 300 Polaris Engineered Accessories.

But I still stand by my original premise, at least one new model in 2020 ground up, with a real transmission, way over 30G's. And yes, still most of their other utv's, all with the magical golf cart cvt.

MAGA

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just remember just because it has more HP if they cant keep the weight down doesn't mean more performance. I more curious on how much it weighs

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just remember just because it has more HP if they cant keep the weight down doesn't mean more performance. I more curious on how much it weighs

This is an excellent point, I never mentioned HP increase or engine size, because although one would think they would need an HP bump to stay competitive and to make the utv move quickly with the real tranny in it. But we all know the magic 1000cc cap will never happen with the spineless industry paid for, self imposed limit. However HP is not limited, nor is MPH (like another self imposed silly PWC limit) so is a totally new engine (under the 1000cc of course) possible, of course it is.

I always thought the ace, then RS1 was a step in the right direction in regards to weight vs HP ratio, maybe the industry will start skimming a few lbs here and there to deal with this aspect. But with safety, and lawyers and civil litigation, doubt we will see any major moves in this direction.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Agreed I think they are going to run into issues with the growing size and weight of RZR's and how much reliable HP they can squeeze out of 1000cc's. The Turbo S is as large as a full size pickup truck (weights less of course) but only has a 2 banger which is why I don't think I would ever buy one when most "full size" offroader's are running V8's and 35"+ tires.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Agreed I think they are going to run into issues with the growing size and weight of RZR's and how much reliable HP they can squeeze out of 1000cc's. The Turbo S is as large as a full size pickup truck (weights less of course) but only has a 2 banger which is why I don't think I would ever buy one when most "full size" offroader's are running V8's and 35"+ tires.
Yes, they've gotten big but power to weight is still pretty good. From what I've seen though, they are approaching the limit of what can be done reliably with a belt. I had a Z1-swapped XP4 with a long travel, cage (with windshield etc.) and all sorts of accessories on 33"s. I couldn't keep a belt in it in the dunes, but after lots of adjusting and changes on the STMs and what belt I ran I was able to make it reliable in dirt and rock crawling. I also had a 10% underdrive in the trans.

From what I'm hearing the 4 seat Turbo S's are doing okay on belts in the dunes, which is key to me. But I agree, much bigger and we'll be past what we can do with a belt, without going to a WAY bigger belt/clutch.

I also agree, these things aren't too far off the power that can reliably be made on 91 octane pump gas with 1000cc. Even if they take the XP Turbos from 925cc to 999cc that's only a 8% change. Taking the 168 HP up by 8% is about 181 HP. As we know there's still a little on the table with the 168 HP XP Turbo even on 91, so let's say that maybe Polaris could do a reliable 200 HP max on 999cc. If they can keep the weight where it's at I think 200 HP at 2k lbs will be about all the belts can handle.

Allllllllll of that said, you'll find people are putting 35"s on Turbo Ss right out of the box and they'll absolutely run circles (or crawl circles in the rocks) around those big V8 rigs on 35"s+.

-TJ

41 - 60 of 61 Posts