Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s an attempt at a build thread🤣...

We got selected to build a tube chassis for a couple. They loved theone of a kind look that we gave Amber’s buggy Sprinkles and wanted a one of a kind look for their build. So one of a kind and mean looking was all the specs we have to go by lol. “One of a kind” is hard to do with a rzr just because everything is so small and compact compared to a big buggy.

They had already purchased the Skinny Pedal Fab tube chassis jig/buggy kit for us to use to build off of. The kitos Made of 3/16 plate and is cut into tons of pieces.
Road surface Font Flooring Art Asphalt

Plates and tabs included provide the bash plate under engine (with cutout to allow room for under trans), trans, rear radius rod framework, and all the tabs for motor mounts, gussets, a-arm tabs, front bash plate, steering rack mount, and accepts rs1 or regular turbo/1k diff. Tabs and plates are keyed so just pop em in place and weld them. For extra $ you can get the add on kit that locates upper front and rear shock mounts and trailing arm mounts. Tabs on the rear plate holds tube frame rails in place and plate keeps your angles correct. Front lower plate is bent 6* so when you bend your tube front frame rails to 6* it makes your front end geometry 💯
Wood Flooring Floor Automotive design Asphalt

Wood Engineering Motor vehicle Machine tool Machine

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a buggy build we use all 1.75” USA dom tubing, .120 and .095 wall. Although here lately USA is hard to come by. Last two batches of tubing have been from India which honestly seems to be equal quality of USA. China tubing is terrible.

This two seat buggy is going to have a 106” wheelbase And 54” wide at the door bars about shoulder height. Don’t know the total height of the buggy yet until we get seats mounted to get the correct overhead height. My guess would be that it’ll be less than 48” from top ofbuggy to bottom of frame. We kicked up the cross bar ends a bit and then tilted up the side frame rails a bit to get all the clearance we can get on the belly of it.

Thenit’s time to start building up. So instead of the typical slant back nose we actually are bringing it forward. That will also allow for more room for winch light bar and a bigger fuel tank in the nose. Threw a couple bends and brought the hood bar down into a “fender well” type bar. The shock mount jigs were handy to know where the top of our shocks will be to get the hood as low as possible without taking the time to measure and mark exactly where they’d be.

So got those tacked in and moved to the rear. We’ve got to have some space back there for a cooler to sit. We thought we kicked the nose out why not kick out the rear. Looks good and different and will give us just a little bit more room to get a cooler tucked back in there.
Table Electronic instrument Wood Engineering Machine

So now the front fenders and rear frame section is in we can start thinking about what the roof line is going to look like. We like to us a tape measure to mock up the look we are going after. So that’s the somewhat shape we’re going after. We need to get the seat mounts in so we can get an accurate measurement for height for the driver. So that’s where we’re at now. About 10 hours of work in it so far.

I guess FYI the rzr this is being built for is a ‘19 XPT two seater. 35” Roxxzillas and 53% low gear reduction for the win. Gonna be a cool build. We really like the look we have going right now. Really keeping some straight lines in it vs several small accent bends. But that can always change. The buggy is starting to talk to us and tell us what it wants to look like!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
So here’s an attempt at a build thread🤣...

We got selected to build a tube chassis for a couple. They loved theone of a kind look that we gave Amber’s buggy Sprinkles and wanted a one of a kind look for their build. So one of a kind and mean looking was all the specs we have to go by lol. “One of a kind” is hard to do with a rzr just because everything is so small and compact compared to a big buggy.

They had already purchased the Skinny Pedal Fab tube chassis jig/buggy kit for us to use to build off of. The kitos Made of 3/16 plate and is cut into tons of pieces.
View attachment 680352
Plates and tabs included provide the bash plate under engine (with cutout to allow room for under trans), trans, rear radius rod framework, and all the tabs for motor mounts, gussets, a-arm tabs, front bash plate, steering rack mount, and accepts rs1 or regular turbo/1k diff. Tabs and plates are keyed so just pop em in place and weld them. For extra $ you can get the add on kit that locates upper front and rear shock mounts and trailing arm mounts. Tabs on the rear plate holds tube frame rails in place and plate keeps your angles correct. Front lower plate is bent 6* so when you bend your tube front frame rails to 6* it makes your front end geometry 💯
View attachment 680354

View attachment 680355

View attachment 680356
I had no idea those kits were available.
That's very bad information for my sweet wife. I've been warming her up to the idea of a third toy built from the ground up for a long time. I think an extended cab is the perfect answer.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had no idea those kits were available.
That's very bad information for my sweet wife. I've been warming her up to the idea of a third toy built from the ground up for a long time. I think an extended cab is the perfect answer.
They’ve been around for a couple years. SPF only does a couple production runs of them a year. Next one is in October!😉 I think the kit without the shock jigs is $1300. The kit is an additional expense but the geometry is spot on and saves a ton of time than if you build the front end by hand.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Not quite yet. Had to wait on owner to sit in it and get some measurements. Then got swamped with other work so finally got caught up and getting back at it!
I hope we'll get to see this thing in action. It's feeling like the final push over the edge I needed to build a bigger toy. Extended cab on 35-37"

·
Vendor
119 Posts
Not quite yet. Had to wait on owner to sit in it and get some measurements. Then got swamped with other work so finally got caught up and getting back at it!
Did you guys design that laser cut front end kit? If so could I potentially purchase those files from you? I have a customer I’d love to talk I to one of these! Haha

Erik Petersen
Owner
Mad House Customs
T: 704-980-9753 E: [email protected]
www.MHCFab.com

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope we'll get to see this thing in action. It's feeling like the final push over the edge I needed to build a bigger toy. Extended cab on 35-37"
Oh ya we’ll definitely have to get it out for a ride on video for sure. We’ll help push you over the edge lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you guys design that laser cut front end kit? If so could I potentially purchase those files from you? I have a customer I’d love to talk I to one of these! Haha

Erik Petersen
Owner
Mad House Customs
T: 704-980-9753 E: [email protected]
www.MHCFab.com
Jonathan Shepard with Skinny Pedal Fab makes these kits. Only way to get them that I know of

·
Vendor
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so got some time to tinker around with the buggy. We always try to get a tape clamped up to mock up some lines to half way follow. Just makes measuring lengths and angles a little better since you can visualize it better.
Motor vehicle Art Automotive design Drums Electronic instrument

honestly I HATE bending on different planes or indexes-whichever the professional wording for it is lol. So went went straight line from front fender to rear bumper. Decided that due to the roll bar basically almost being straight over a head that it didn’t leave a whole lot of protection from a side rollover and also would have to bend the uprights too much and just give it a awful look. So onto the bends on a different plane🥵
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Road surface Asphalt Gas Tints and shades Landscape

Started in the driver side for it bent and then fit in with notches. Sun shines on a dog’s butt every once in a while and nailed it first try. Having the big bendicator protractor really does help figure where to make that second bend and which way to get it going. Now to mirror that for the passenger side.

On the first piece when we make the plane change in thebender we take a angle finder to see where the first bend is pointing. Reverse that and everything went good and got the passenger side fit in perfectly.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Machine Automotive exterior

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Electrical wiring

Back to the easy stuff. Put a couple double uprights in and got the rear fender bars in on both sides to pick up the bar across to grab the shock mounts. Used the tape measure again to see how we wanted the door bars to go forward. And now it’s time to shutdown and go to the grocery store😕
We’re really liking the lines coming together on this build. We’ll get the door bars finished then move to the hood running into the dash then we can see what we want to do with the roof. Only about 25 hours in the build so far.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Here is something I did that helped me with bends on different planes. Have used on RZR stuff and the snowmachine tube frame I’m currently building.

You can either tack weld a piece of flat stock to the end of the tube, or weld a clamp to flat stock and clamp it on the end of the tube. This gives you a flat surface to mount a small, magnetic, digital angle finder on. You can keep track of the angles this way as the angle finder will stay stuck to the flat stock. Easier to get two sides of machine symmetrical as well. Also makes it easy to pull the tube to check fitment and put it back in the bender at the exact same angle it was at if you need to keep bending.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is something I did that helped me with bends on different planes. Have used on RZR stuff and the snowmachine tube frame I’m currently building.

You can either tack weld a piece of flat stock to the end of the tube, or weld a clamp to flat stock and clamp it on the end of the tube. This gives you a flat surface to mount a small, magnetic, digital angle finder on. You can keep track of the angles this way as the angle finder will stay stuck to the flat stock. Easier to get two sides of machine symmetrical as well. Also makes it easy to pull the tube to check fitment and put it back in the bender at the exact same angle it was at if you need to keep bending.
I had an idea of how to make a tool to help with this...it was genius lol. But I was no where near my phone or anything to sketch it out and I forgot it and for the life of me can’t remember what I came up with. Probably a million $ idea and I lost it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts