Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good trailer mounted tiedown system for my RZR. I've seen the Tire Trap but I think that somewhere I saw another that uses the same principle, a drive over kinda deal that requires no straps. They make them for motorcycles but I don't know if they make them wide enough for the tires on a RZR.:confused:
Thanks!
Pete O.

·
RINO CRASHER
314 Posts
Harbor freight has an tire holder like used on tow dollies in that it goes over tire with webbing on sides, Just had to add another tie down in toy hauler for second strap. I put both of em on same side of toy hauler and Razor cant move forward backwards or sideways I think they were $ 26.00 buck each

·
RINO CRASHER
314 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your welcome.

Couple of tips I have found out since using mine for almost two years...

If you can, mount it for a rear tire. This will most likely require towing backwards. The rear tires cannot pivot like the fronts. The RZR has no steering wheel lock in park.

If you can't do that, play around with the position of the hoop over the tire. I originally ground some metal to clear the a-arms, but if I have spent more time adjusting the hoop it is not needed.

If you do mount it for a front tire, set the hoop to be quite snug when the RZR tire is in lock position.

You also might enlarge the hole for the lock pin. You can set the pin so it will "snap" into place when the machine moves into the lock position. Mine would not without banging on it with my hand or rocking the RZR by the bumper. I enlarged the hole about .030 and now it functions like it should.

Ruff

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your welcome.

Couple of tips I have found out since using mine for almost two years...

If you can, mount it for a rear tire. This will most likely require towing backwards. The rear tires cannot pivot like the fronts. The RZR has no steering wheel lock in park.

If you can't do that, play around with the position of the hoop over the tire. I originally ground some metal to clear the a-arms, but if I have spent more time adjusting the hoop it is not needed.

If you do mount it for a front tire, set the hoop to be quite snug when the RZR tire is in lock position.

You also might enlarge the hole for the lock pin. You can set the pin so it will "snap" into place when the machine moves into the lock position. Mine would not without banging on it with my hand or rocking the RZR by the bumper. I enlarged the hole about .030 and now it functions like it should.

Ruff
Good advice, Ruff, I'll try the rear wheel idea. The wild way these things perform in reverse is a little scary though. Damn near ran into my vette the other day when I was backing out of the garage. Scared the hell outa me!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just my opinion, but these tire straps and bonnets are the only way to go. I have been using the Bulldog Tire Bonnets and love them. My RZR can't move. Of course I use 4 of them. This drive in system, I know people have had good luck with it but I would be a little concerned in the event of a accident. I just think with the design that the RZR could, I said COULD, break the front wheel off and end up off the trailer. They do look very nice and easy for sure. Just a little new for me and like I said, I've had great luck with the bonnets.

·
Registered
478 Posts
4 x 2" inch straps over each tire. Works awesome, is very quick and I have driven thousands of kilometers using this method.

My buddy does the same thing, except he has e-track on his trailer deck....I use mounted tie down loops.

Good....as long as a tire don't go flat

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
good thread. great tips. put up more photos!

my 16' flatbed has only had a RZR on it 5 times so im on a learnin curve and appreciate seein what the real guys (and gals) do. so thanks.

just showin what i do...

previously it has hauled at least 2000 vintage gas pumps, neon signs and unusal roadside stuff. all kinda tie down application. never knowing whats around the corner or what strap, bungee,or rope is next.

unusuals: green line - lacing down landscape cover. (any trees or mulch its law here) specialized bike tin - contains hitch grease for 2-5/16" ball dedicate 1/2" sockets - check lugnuts when i remember silicone spray - keeps ratchets free (rain,snow,salt here) funny arm - parents/kids point at it 5 gal bucket - taken many a sponge bath out on the road i admit it red wood block - for a jack if needed

for what its worth Illinois law says 1 strap across a RZR or utility tractor.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
trying to keep to "strapping down" and "safe towing"

the neon clock was Wikieup, Az had to strap it above my moon roof. cleaned it in vegas hotel, WOW and it works.

sorry, love my stupid road trips! tow safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
well i got a new 6x10 and wanted to use these tire bonnets from harbor fright. used the oversized d-rings/carrage bolts/big washers w/lock nuts.
all straps/d-rings/nuts,bolts and washers. $200.00

·
Registered
578 Posts
turned out nice dave.....
thank you. i took it out for a drive and all seems well. ready to roll to glamis.
koa here i come!!!!!:rzrs:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The fixed wheel clamps look good if the only thing you use the trailer for is the RZR.

I like the over the wheel bonnet, D-ring and e-track system. With the e-track on my 18’ flat bed I can set up in many configurations, RZR only RZR and quads.

When I haul lumber or any thing else I always have a tie down in the right place. I have e-track down both sides and down the middle

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
The fixed wheel clamps look good if the only thing you use the trailer for is the RZR.

I like the over the wheel bonnet, D-ring and e-track system. With the e-track on my 18’ flat bed I can set up in many configurations, RZR only RZR and quads.

When I haul lumber or any thing else I always have a tie down in the right place. I have e-track down both sides and down the middle
the e track is still on the floor right, so it's still not flat. no worries thought. we use these tracks on the walls of our big rig trailers, i'm very familiar with them.
yeah, for the most part i just use it for the rzr. as a flat bed big rigger i have many other straps and options in my tool box, you just can't have enough.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts