Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

RZR reliability

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RAZORFREAK 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing a RZR but have little no experience or knowledge with them hopefully you can put my mind at ease, I tend to over prepare and think to much.

I currently have two Honda ATV's but I think I want to consolidate and get a UTV that can run ATV's trails(50")

I ride frequently with just my girlfriend on our ATV's so if one of us gets stuck or breaks down there is still way home. I have a winch but sometimes you need another ATV.

My concern is if I sell the ATV's and get 1 RZR, we could get stranded. I figure I could put a winch fore and aft to help get out of mud holes etc.

I am very diligent about Maintenance and tend to err on the side of caution, since I don't want to break down and ruin a vacation.

How reliable are the stock RZR's if maintained well? Are there a lot of mods needed to make them more reliable?

Thanks -- Doug

#4 ·
You will see a lot of opinions on here on this topic. I haven't had any problems myself. I do ride along sometimes but only on our private property and a phone call from help if needed. I think a lot of people just tear their stuff up and blame the company in the end. These RZR's will do a lot but are not Abrams tanks.

#5 ·
Ya, and keep in mind... If you read the posts on this forum about people having problems, there are a lot of poeple with no problems that you don't hear from...
Just because a few people have had a problem, doesnt mean they are all going to have the same problem.
Any ATV can break down,,, the RZR is just as reliable as any other brand.

#9 ·
I also wanted to agree with what most of you have been saying. My first posts have been about a troublesome machine but the one (out of my two RZR's), is the only RZR i have ever seen with regular issues. My other machine has been nothing but perfect and the same can be said about all other RZR's i have ever come across. These are great machines and they will provide you with a great experience. I do suggest a good, well-maintained winch that you test every time before you go out if you ever plan on going alone. And a pul-pal anchor has saved me countless times when i stupidly went alone, well worth the money. ride safely and happy riding

#14 ·
You right 100 % on a cadillac drive. After I let my son drives in it he was so impress and had this sticker made for me. :ride:
Otherwise I ride 75 % by myself and trust the RZR bring me back without problem.
milos

#15 ·
I think in general all atvs have lost there toughness. Today I will be fixing plastic from mowing down saplings last weekend. RZR is a tank, but not impervious to damage. Fortunately because the RZR is so popular, there are endless aftermark option to suit your machine to your specific riding needs.

#16 ·
Im on my 2nd RZR. The 1st was an early 08 Gen 1 RZR, I did have a tranny issue w/it but it was fixed under warranty and other than that no other probs. I got tired of hauling 2 quads and the RZR around for my family of 4 so I sold it and now have a RZR 4.

Like said they are not bullet proof but they are very reliable. We ride alot up in the mntns of Arkansas by ourselves and will sometimes go all day w/out ever seeing another person so I have to trust that it will bring us back safe. These are the things I keep w/us when out on the trail by ourselves: I do have a winch and tow strap, but I also keep a tire repair kit, a spare tire, and a spare belt w/tools to do maintenance on the trail, I also have toilet paper, water, food and an insurance policy besides state farm, my little friend, 9mm.

Just remember, when riding by yourselve you just have to use common sense and try not put yourself into a situation that would render you helpless.

#17 ·
09 RZR-3,400 + miles, 2010 RZR-1,100 miles...Both have been totally reliable and never let us down. My wife and I ride alone 95% percent of the time. At first I was nervous about it, but now not at all. My wife and i just put over 300 miles on our 2010 RZR in the mountains of Utah, all by ourselves, and out in the middle of no where.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.