Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my wife and I were out trail riding, with her and the baby on the RZR and me on my quad. We were running along pretty good when I looked back and they weren't there. I went back and found them and she said it just quit pulling. She said she smelled something burning too, but when I got there I didn't smell anything.

I figured it was the belt, so we pulled it home and I got a belt. Yesterday I tore into it and the belt seemed fine. When you rev it up it seems to engage, but it won't pull in any gear. I'm at a loss here.

RZR Clutch video

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
that is strange. I have never heard of a secondary spring breaking...
Maybe the rollers are hung up or stuck on the helix???

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Maybe pinion gear in transfer case ...

Does speedo still register speed when revving in gear?

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
that is strange. I have never heard of a secondary spring breaking...
Maybe the rollers are hung up or stuck on the helix???
Could be, just need to take it apart to see.
Yeah.....it has to be the spring the rollers.
Give us a report after you look inside the clutch........pics would be nice
I have seen many rollers with flat spots but the shivs still close, never seen one hang open. My money is on the broken spring:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the quick help and the video, guys. I'll try to pull it apart this weekend and see what's going on. I'll report back with findings and pics.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here's what I found when I got it apart. Nothing was broke. The clip had come off. Some jack-leg had been into it before and probably either stretched it or didn't have it on good. I'm pretty sure I can flip the clip over and put it back together without any more problems, though. I've got to build one of gunrunner's special tools this morning and then I should be ready to put it back together.

Question. Is that the stock spring or does my RZR have a clutch kit in it. I'm wondering why someone would have had it apart before.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already put it back together. I just tightened the clip up with some vice grips and re-used it. There were actually some chips on the shaft, so I decided to give it a try and if it fails again I'll have to replace the shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts