Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rzr 800S
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compiled a year to year and model to model history for the Rzr? I tried doing a search for most of the monring, but didn't have any luck.

I'm looking at getting a Rzr, but would really like to know what improvements were made from year to year and then a comparison of each model? It would probably be a decent bit of work to do now, but I'm curious if anyone has kept one up to date as the Rzr has aged.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll try here goes I know some of my info may not be correct but please chime in and help me out:)

2008: Polaris RZR introduced 50" width was only model available I think, these had bad throttle body boot on engine that allowed some machines to ingest dust easily and I also think these models had clutch spacer that slowed top end speed down a lil to @ 50mph.

2009: Polaris RZR-S introduced which had more power, wider stance with long travel suspension, better cage no clutch spacer (so top end was higher) and a re-designed the throttle body boot on both the "S"and "std" and as far as I know the RZR "std" stayed the same.

2010: The RZR-S and RZR "std" basically stayed the same mechanically besides the color options changeing. I do think they removed the clutch spacer on the RZR "std" so the top end was now @ 60mph. Roll cage was now R.O.P.S. certified on both the "S", "RZR4" and "std" machines. "RZR-4" was introduced this year which was basically a "RZR-S" with 4 seats.

2011: Major changes this year, basically new body plastic all across the board, high/low beam headlights were also installed "RZR-S",[U] "RZR4[/U]" and "RZR std" all changed on body style. All RZR's got a glove box this year too, the std saw the most change I guess, it received the upgraded "S" engine with 55hp I think they all also received new "ECU" and fuel injection setup. Also the "RZR900-XP" came into prooduction this year, which had 88hp re-designed suspension and a few body changes in the rear area, all new 900 polaris pro-star engine and a top end speed @ 73=74mph I think.

2012: Basically a carry over year for most machines the "RZR std", "RZR-S", "RZR4" and "RZR900-XP" basically stayed the same. The "RZR570" was introduced this year which was kind of a "RZR std" with a new 570 Pro-Star engine with differnet rear frame and different rear suspension, but had no glove box and single beam headlights

2013: "RZR900-XP4" was introduced which was basically a 900xp with 4 seats, but I think everything else stayed the same.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
08s had different platics and a weaker frame, poor air intake, plastic cage in the front diff, voltage regulators overheat because of location..

09s RZR S came out and they changed to clutch in the 50" models. Improved the frame, intake and plastics were changed in the 08s. Voltage regulators were moved. 09s have no major defects.. Still have Plastic cage in front diff.. A few early S models had problems with their front diffs popping out axles..

10s They changed the transmissions a little and people had TONS of problems.. Polaris then went back to the old parts.. They also started putting the same clutch in the S that comes with the 50" model. Metal cage in the front diff... Everything else stayed the same..

11s New body style plastics only not the frame.. The improved the front diff and improved the fuel injection system. HI/low headlights added. Changed the roll cages a little. Only major issuie I know of is overheating because the put a breaker for the fan under the drivers seat.
Xp 2 seater came out. Had problems with melting plastics.. Chain for Reverse breaking and people complained about the steering.. Also had several go through starters..

12s the moved the breaker out from under the seat for the fan. Pretty much everything else is unchanged on the 800s
Made a few changes to the XP. Added heat sheild.. Improved the steering.
4 seater xp came out mid year

13s as far as I know are exactly the same as the 12s for all models..

·
Registered
2011 Rzr 800S
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know some Rzr S models had Fox shocks and some have Sachs. 2011 has Sachs, but I can't tell you which others did. Fox is definitely the preferred shock.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Lets bring this thread back alive. Looking for a RZR 4 seater with 800 motor.

I would like to go new but there is always that price difference between new and used, if I was made of money I would not care. Since I am a middle class working man supporting America I am looking at used ones.

I have found couple 2010's with low miles and fair price. How common were the transmission problems, and at what mileage would they have shown up by? One 2010 is clean with 350 miles has winch,top, front bumper, windshield, and bed extenders. Price of 11,999 and would have to ship to me for about another 400 bucks. Has alot of extras on it already.

Heard some about 2011's having the pinion nut back off and grenade the rear end?? Is this a small number of units or fairly widespread? Found some new 2011's but did not have a price on website.

Found new 2012 RZR 4 800 with EPS and LE package for 14,199, it is the black and white model. This looks like a good price to me considering a 2013 new is like right at 16,000.
They may have some more wiggle room on it, have not called yet.

Give me some more feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Given the evolutionary changes/fixes detailed above, it should be obvious that newer is better.........

Cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am after a 4 seater with 800 engine. I don't feel I need a 900 to trail ride with.

Will check Abernathys to see what they have.

Thanks and keep it coming.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow.. Long time since this was updated but it's a good start.. Anyone care to update.?. Good info..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts