Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
sharp rzr
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well jus took my 09 stock rzr on 25"mudlites to the sandlake dunes in oregon for the first time this weekend, and very dissapointed. lack of power, binding in awd when going up hills, hit about 45mph top on the beach, and cuts out/loses power around 40mph out in softer sand. :/ clutch need upgraded? possibly worn out belt? any input would be great guys, it has around 650miles.. thanks..

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well, I saw your first problem in the first sentence of your post... 25" Mudlites. I had a set on my Rhino when I bought it and they were absolutely terrible. Switched to Bighorns on the Rhino, and aired down, they were great in the sand. I now run only Bighorns on my RZR-4. Clutching is essential, and in many cases if you're riding primarily in the dunes, your RZR should be clutched specifically for sand, and the associated terrain. I love my RZR in the sand though. It's a blast.

·
sharp rzr
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol ya it came with the mudlites, im wanting a set of 26" bighorns.. i drove my buddys rzr-s in the dunes, and it was amazing, made me want one. bought the 09 rzr and didnt expect much power difference but after yesterday very dissapointed. hoping a clutch kit will help alot, will it take away from top end speed?

·
Registered
882 Posts
With equal tires, you should be just as quick as the Rzr-S. The S had a few more HP, but the standard RZR's weight less. Those tires are killing you, I had a lot of issues with my old RZR with ITP terracross tires on it while at the dunes, those things dug like crazy. When I switched to some sand tires, it was like a whole different machine.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I tried mudlites on my 2008 one time on the sand... just rototilled and buried it. they are too heavy and just dig. I think my top speed was 45mph with them.
floatation is the key on the sand. light weight paddles and buffs are the best.
but bighorns or goodyear mtr will work good aired down.

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
cliff do you remember back when you used the dirt tires and didn't get the sand stuff?....lol
bet you wont do that again....as cliff said flotation flotation flotation

·
sharp rzr
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not wanting to purchase sand tires untill next summer. going to look into gettin a set of bighorns, should i stick with the stock 25" size or will 26"bighorns still do good in the dunes? also i read up on some epi cutch kits and it said some kits cause you to lose top speed by a couple mph, anyone have this problem?

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts
I'm more surprised you didn't earn a ticket for doing 45 in a posted 25!!

Especially at Sand Lake

Swap some tires, do some maint, you'll be fine

You will learn your machine over time too, that will make a big difference

·
sharp rzr
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Especially at Sand Lake

haha ive never been pulled over for going too fast at the dunes.. only too loud of exhaust on my buddies old raptor.. but thanks guys for the quick responses and tips on the tires.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Big horns 4psi go just about every where you want to go.

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts

Especially at Sand Lake

haha ive never been pulled over for going too fast at the dunes.. only too loud of exhaust on my buddies old raptor.. but thanks guys for the quick responses and tips on the tires.
FYI its 25 on the beach.
Hate to see another ticket....and I've seen a bunch written at Sand Lake

·
sharp rzr
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Especially at Sand Lake

FYI its 25 on the beach.
Hate to see another ticket....and I've seen a bunch written at Sand Lake
ya ive seen the signs. but when noones around why follow the speed limit?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
i have a 2011s with 1.5 miles on it and would love to sell the stock bighorns and rims. i live in olympia so its not too far!

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the stock steel, how low can you go before you may pop the bead? I guess on sand that isn't an issue, what about trail riding?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I've ran my big horns down to about 3.5 without any issues.

G

·
On the stock steel, how low can you go before you may pop the bead? I guess on sand that isn't an issue, what about trail riding?
No need to go that low on the trails IMO..too easy to pinch a sidewall,nevermind rolling a bead..riding in the sand or maybe in the mud to get through something iffy...but normal trail riding I wouldn't go that low. 6 min on the RZR and 8 would probably be better for trails. JMO Then again the "trails" I ride tend to have obstacles..4 just wouldn't cut it for long climbing over downed trees,rocks ect.. Now when I am riding deep sand down in Florida yes...I air them down to 3-4 makes a HUGE difference when the tire bags.
Also if you ride very much mud there are tires out there that do alot better than the Horns..Horns are my favorite all around tire..but if they have a weakness it is mud..they do OK for what they are in the mud but that is about it...inn other words if you go looking for mud holes get some different tires. again JMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts